Amsoil XL series(5W20) or Mobil 1 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
From what I've discovered, using both oils, is that the Mobil 1 DID cause my particular two engines MORE chatter and audible engine noise that the Amsoil XL did. This isn't to say that Mobil 1 is causing wear issues but regardless, that was what I experienced.

A common complaint about M1 with some users. Not sure what causes that.

Ahhh the metal cans yes...
LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: buster
Quote:
From what I've discovered, using both oils, is that the Mobil 1 DID cause my particular two engines MORE chatter and audible engine noise that the Amsoil XL did. This isn't to say that Mobil 1 is causing wear issues but regardless, that was what I experienced.

I have many family and friends using M1 oils and more noise has never been mentioned. If any thing some have noticed quiter engines. Only on BITOG have I heard this. Interesting.

Originally Posted By: tig1
Quote:

I have many family and friends using M1 oils and more noise has never been mentioned. If any thing some have noticed quiter engines. Only on BITOG have I heard this. Interesting.

That's all the Kool-Aid in there tig

It's a shame that if anyone ever has anything even remotely negative to say about the vaunted 'MOBIL 1'....you are either an idiot incapable of making a sound comment, or somehow you have a vivid imagination.
I honestly don't care what synthetic oil so many of you have hitched your loyalties upon, but like I described before I HAD TWO DIFFERENT VEHICLES that when using Mobil 1 had more engine noise than when using Amsoil XL. Those vehicles where BOTH where in very good shape, well taken care, and had excellent mechanicals. One was a 2004 Honda CRV, the other was a 2001 Ford Ranger. It was not my imagination nor did I read it on BITOG and become hypnotized before I had noticed it. Also, I am not a big fan of Amsoil either....but I stand by my observations and let others decide what they will about my integrity or soundness of mind.
Geez....you'd think I attacked somebody's grandmother or something!

Originally Posted By: andrewg
I can offer nothing in the way of what the chemical makeup of either oil is. I have, however, used both before and have some conclusions of my own. I feel the Amsoil is a tad expensive for a group III oil.....but I would say it's not WAY out of line given it's record of excellent analysis. I suppose the same can be said for the Mobil 1 (but the cost is probably lower). Nobody really knows for sure what Mobil 1 uses, in percentage form, as the base stocks. From what I've discovered, using both oils, is that the Mobil 1 DID cause my particular two engines MORE chatter and audible engine noise that the Amsoil XL did. This isn't to say that Mobil 1 is causing wear issues but regardless, that was what I experienced.

Must be your engine design. No one has used more M1 oils than I have and it's very quite in my Fords. That's my experience.

I'm not disagreeing just to disagree, but I'm a long time M1 user as well and every engine I've switched over from M1 to PP (of the same viscosity) has seemed to quiet down noticeably.

I've talked a few people in my area to try the PP (all staunch M1 users) and they've noticed the same.

This includes 3 4.6 2Vs, 1 Ford 3.5, 1 Ford 3.0 and 1 Ford 4.6 4V. It even fixed a minor oil consumption issue with one of the 4.6 2Vs, consumption that only showed up at the drag strip.

I guess my point is that I don't doubt that Amsoil XL quieted down an engine versus M1.

My first M1 change was 1978 in Maine. M1 5-20 in the silver metal cans. Put it in a 78 Dodge slant 6. Lots of M1.
since then.

tig1 how often do you use 5w20 M1 oils? I have a jug to try this winter and I wanted to know if you have used it for a prolonged period and for longer than normal OCI's.

cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
I can offer nothing in the way of what the chemical makeup of either oil is. I have, however, used both before and have some conclusions of my own. I feel the Amsoil is a tad expensive for a group III oil.....but I would say it's not WAY out of line given it's record of excellent analysis. I suppose the same can be said for the Mobil 1 (but the cost is probably lower). Nobody really knows for sure what Mobil 1 uses, in percentage form, as the base stocks. From what I've discovered, using both oils, is that the Mobil 1 DID cause my particular two engines MORE chatter and audible engine noise that the Amsoil XL did. This isn't to say that Mobil 1 is causing wear issues but regardless, that was what I experienced.

Must be your engine design. No one has used more M1 oils than I have and it's very quite in my Fords. That's my experience.

I'm not disagreeing just to disagree, but I'm a long time M1 user as well and every engine I've switched over from M1 to PP (of the same viscosity) has seemed to quiet down noticeably.

I've talked a few people in my area to try the PP (all staunch M1 users) and they've noticed the same.

This includes 3 4.6 2Vs, 1 Ford 3.5, 1 Ford 3.0 and 1 Ford 4.6 4V. It even fixed a minor oil consumption issue with one of the 4.6 2Vs, consumption that only showed up at the drag strip.

I guess my point is that I don't doubt that Amsoil XL quieted down an engine versus M1.

Well I guess that I'm not having a geriatric moment then....some others have noticed the same thing. I eventually switched to PP from Amsoil (while formally being a staunch Mobil 1 user) and had no noise increase like I had with the Mobil. The fact is I'd have stayed with Mobil 1 to this day if it wasn't for the freakin noise thing. I just hate odd noises coming from under the hood. I honestly haven't had ANY noise issues from any other oil (synthetic or dino) but the Mobil 1.

It's a shame that if anyone ever has anything even remotely negative to say about the vaunted 'MOBIL 1'....you are either an idiot incapable of making a sound comment, or somehow you have a vivid imagination.
I honestly don't care what synthetic oil so many of you have hitched your loyalties upon, but like I described before I HAD TWO DIFFERENT VEHICLES that when using Mobil 1 had more engine noise than when using Amsoil XL. Those vehicles where BOTH where in very good shape, well taken care, and had excellent mechanicals. One was a 2004 Honda CRV, the other was a 2001 Ford Ranger. It was not my imagination nor did I read it on BITOG and become hypnotized before I had noticed it. Also, I am not a big fan of Amsoil either....but I stand by my observations and let others decide what they will about my integrity or soundness of mind.

Yikes!!

Originally Posted By: StevieC
My first M1 change was 1978 in Maine. M1 5-20 in the silver metal cans. Put it in a 78 Dodge slant 6. Lots of M1.
since then.

tig1 how often do you use 5w20 M1 oils? I have a jug to try this winter and I wanted to know if you have used it for a prolonged period and for longer than normal OCI's.

cheers3.gif

StevieC,
I've been out all afternoon. As far as the 5-20 I used in the late 70s I found it to be great in the cold winters but I did use more oil than the previous Valvoline 10-40 that was used in that truck. As soon as M1 10-30 came out I switched over to it. But I used the 5-20 for more than 10,000 OCI but can't remember just how long. I had a brief stint with Amsoil 10-40 about then but droped it as it left a thin film over my valve train that was a little odd to me.

Sorry If I upset you, but BITOG is really the first place I ever heard of this noise thing with M1. What wt. are you using?

Sorry If I upset you, but BITOG is really the first place I ever heard of this noise thing with M1. What wt. are you using?

BITOG is probably the only place where you can amass enough individuals that will talk about such things. I don't think I've had too many comparative oil discussions before coming here. In fact, I can't recall any pre-BITOG. Maybe about what I use, the reason I used synthetics..etc...but the ambiance of the tonal qualities never came up, as far back as I can recall.
55.gif

Mobil 1 does represent 60% of the synthetic market so it's not surprising that you would hear more complaints about it than other oils.

I've heard people say the same thing about other brands too fwiw.

Mobil 1 does represent 60% of the synthetic market so it's not surprising that you would hear more complaints about it than other oils.

I've heard people say the same thing about other brands too fwiw.

Of all the people that say M1 causes noise, my guess is they are a very few compared to the number that really use M1. Even if you came up with 200 people on BITOG that's a very small number compared to the 26,000 members here. 60% of the synthetic market is millions of customers.
Iv'e heard some say PP is noisey. And others as well.

Last edited:
I think the noise has more to do with what weight you use than what brand..

I had Valvoline conventional 5w30 in my engine for a hundred miles or so from the dealer (warranty work, they filled with the 5w30)

It was very noisy. So noisy that I though it was causing tons of wear. Switched to Valvoline conventional 10w40 and the noise is either very low or gone. My engine is a typical loud engine. But the noise has quieted done a lot.

I've notice slightly more noise using M1 in the past...was told it was due to a lack of paraffin in M1 when compared to other motor oils. IDN, but that sounds like a good thing to me?

No....I'm not upset. I just get tired of seeing some folks on this website get questioned as though they can't possibly be right when it comes to anything negative about Mobil 1. Hey....I have nothing really against the oil but I did hear more noise with it when compared to Amsoil XL. I've used many, many different oils and feel that I have some validity when I state my opinion about Mobil 1 and engine noise. No big deal though....if some folks simply think I'm a nut-case...well, then so be it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back