Amsoil XL or M1 0W-20.....Preference?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mobil 1. As good as both are, IMO it makes little sense to use the Amsoil unless you want to support or prefer Amsoil. In the 5qt jug at Walmart (unfortunately) you can get this oil for $5.79qt. 40-50% PAO. The Mobil 1 also has superior cold pumbability performance.

For extended drains, they are probably pretty equal.

M1 0-20 has served me well in the Duratechs. Holds up well in extreme temps. Even with 10K OCIs. Hot or cold.

The M1 AFE is tough to beat as far as cold start pump ability. Amsoil makes a decent product too. Look at your application and ambient temps then decide. I'd give m1 the edge in winter for sure.

Another vote here for Mobil 1 AFE, my Tacoma just loves it in the winter. Ultra quiet startups in sub +20F temps vs. 5w-20 dino's. I always thought it was bologna, but I am now a believer at least in the winter. No noticeable difference in the warmer weather. It is nice that sometimes you get what you pay for.
cool.gif

I'm sure the Amsoil is great. But for $26 a jug the Mobil's better.
Cold starts are a religious experience.

Welcome to the Church of Mobil 1...

Originally Posted By: tc1446
Of the two above, and only these two, which would you use?

The M1 if you can get the sale price is good, but if you don't have a Walmart nearby, it can be pretty expensive. $10/qt here. PC price for the XL is $22.75/gallon.

Engine wear wise? Your engine won't know the difference.

Originally Posted By: Pablo

Engine wear wise? Your engine won't know the difference.

I agree.

You guys know where I stand. I will NEVER use mobil1 again. I know Tig and K1ller will jump in but I had issues using the stuff.

Try it at -37C. My buddy has 5w20 Castrol syn in 2011 Elantra. I have 0w30 Amsoil in 2003 Accord 4 cyl with about 600K. He kept on cranking it but did not start it that day. The cranking was extremely slow for both of us. I barely started my accord. The only difference is the oil plus I had a gasline antifreeze in my fuel. He just had regular Esso.

I use Mobil 1 in my wife's Honda CR-V and have never used Amsoil. However, Mobil 1 is available for around $25 for 5 quarts at Walmart. It is obviously a quality product, is available, and is reasonably priced. That floats my boat.

Gentlemen, thanks for all the input. I've been a big fan of Amsoil for years and still use it in my Can Am (other brands sheared too badly) but have begun to use AFE M1 in the Corolla and Altima. After recently buying the Accord which calls for 0W-20 I began looking at local WM stores for M1 and they only stocked it in quarts (no PP or PU in jugs either) so I was looking for another source and/or brand. Yesterday I found a WM about 20 miles away well stocked with jugs so this solves my problem.

conveniently, the Altima and Corolla use the same filters and I have several M1's and a Bosch on hand.

Gentlemen, thanks for all the input. I've been a big fan of Amsoil for years and still use it in my Can Am (other brands sheared too badly) but have begun to use AFE M1 in the Corolla and Altima. After recently buying the Accord which calls for 0W-20 I began looking at local WM stores for M1 and they only stocked it in quarts (no PP or PU in jugs either) so I was looking for another source and/or brand. Yesterday I found a WM about 20 miles away well stocked with jugs so this solves my problem.

conveniently, the Altima and Corolla use the same filters and I have several M1's and a Bosch on hand.

Pep Boys had a special on 5 qts of Mobil 1 with a Mobil 1 filter, for $29.99. It ran all of November and December, others have similar deals. That's a tough deal to beat, and if you watch sales you can easily build up a nice stash, at great prices.

Yes and thats why I will avoid Mobil because every month a thread appears saying how Mobil is causing trouble in a car and then pages of excuses follow. If it smells fishy .....
Originally Posted By: DrDusty86
You guys know where I stand. I will NEVER use mobil1 again. I know Tig and K1ller will jump in but I had issues using the stuff.

Originally Posted By: ottotheclown
Yes and thats why I will avoid Mobil because every month a thread appears saying how Mobil is causing trouble in a car and then pages of excuses follow. If it smells fishy .....

:facepalm:

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: ottotheclown

:facepalm:

I must be missing those monthly threads?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back