Sodium------0
Calcium-----2452
Phosphorus--766
Zinc--------909
Barium------0
Vanadium----0
Magnesium----23

Viscosity at 100deg C -- 8.94
Flashpoint in F -------- 405 (greater than 365)
Fuel Percentage -------- less than 1
Antifreeze Percentage -- 0.0
Water Percentage ------- 0.0

TBN ----- 3.12
Oxidation --- 18.0
Nitration --- 18.0

Oil Analyzer

Oil thinned substanially - but a pretty good report.

15 ppm of Fe - well you only have 13,500 miles on the car, so this is nothing. Over half the miles on the car were with this single OCI. Keep it up!

Other than the iron being a little bit high (which could still be break in wear on this new engine), this looks like a very excellent report. It has thinned out to a 20 weight, but that doesn't seem to have caused a problem (otherwise you'd have a lot higher than 0 for lead!)

TBN looks very good too, proving this oil can go past the rated 7500 miles in a lot of cases.

Awesome report. Looks like they use the same chemistry for this oil as well. Good engine too.

This oil is probably more ideal for our cars then the 0w-20 being my car drinks 1/2qt every 5k and my g/f's car is under warranty.

Potassium 0
Sodium 0
make up oil 0

GM
thumbsup.gif

The Chevy Cobalt has the 2.2L Ecotec? I always thought it had the new 2.4L Ecotec that went into the Solstice? and the new Saturn Sky.

I have Amsoil 5w30 XL in my 2.2L Ecotec Sunfire and this great report of yours brings me hope
smile.gif
. Nice report!

Either poster jc250r31 requested a flashpoint reading - or it's omething new being offered. Perhaps call Oil Analyzer by phone for the correct answer.

Thats my fault I copy and pasted someone elses post so i wouldnt have to type everything out, just add the correct numbers, and I must have forgot to delete that. There was not a flashpoint test done.

This engine is an excellent candidate for extended drain use....

I'd strongly consider switching to the more robust Amsoil 5w-30/ASL and increase the OCI to 10,000-12,000 miles. The ASL formulation has a lot more TBN reserve and will be more shear stable than the Group III based, XL series product.

TD

Quote:

Is TBN the ONLY thing that you need to look at for extended oil use? What about depletion of AW additives?

Some contend TBN means little and the TAN is the "real" measure of an oils value.
dunno.gif

Winston,

It's really difficult to track the depletion of the active ZDDP over time using a $25.00 UOA. The only AW additive I've seen that depletes in a more or less linear fashion is Boron in the form of borate esters. From the data I've observed from reviewing many UOA's, when the boron drops to about 25% of it's virgin level, it's probably time to change the oil. (Boron combines synergistically with the ZDDP to form more durable, lower friction films in high pressure areas of the valvetrain)

The MoDTC found in many gas engine oils also seems to deplete over time.... In the specific case of moly, it appears that the first time you use an oil containing it you see a higher rate of moly depletion. Sucessive use of moly containing oils results in a slower rate of moly depletion. However the rate at which this occurs is not regular enough to use as a tracking mechanism for degradation of the add pack.

Note that ZDDP is also the primary anti-oxidant used in most engine oils, although it is now supplimented by ashless anti-oxidants in API/SM gas oils, which I gather are various types of amine compounds. Some of these newer additives do not show up at all in a spectrographic analysis.

Ted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back