Amsoil XL 5w/20 on Honda Accord 2.4L 10370 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my first post although I've been reading posts on this site for more than a year in looking for the "best" oil for my 2004 Accord 2.4L. I switched to Amsoil XL 5w/20 when my car reached 20k after read some good reports on this oil. Recently, it hits 47.5k miles and I decided to do my first UOA using sample from the last oil change. The numbers seem good, well, according to folks from Blackstone since I'm no expert on these numbers. Here is the report

EQUIPMENT MAKE: Honda
EQUIPMENT MODEL: 2.4L 4-cyl
FUEL TYPE: Gasoline (Unleaded)
OIL USE INTERVAL: 10,370 Miles
OIL TYPE & GRADE: Amsoil XL-7500 5W/20
MAKE-UP OIL ADDED: None
ADDITIONAL INFO:

COMMENTS: Nothing too unusual showed up in the initial sample from this engine. All wear read at or close to averages for this type of engine, which is excellent considering this oil was run longer than averages and a very good indication of normal wearing parts. Universal averages show normal wear after ~6,200 miles on the oil. The low viscosity wasn't due to any fuel dilution and isn't really a concern. The low insolubles show good oil filtration. It sounds like the operating conditions are perfect for this engine and we think the oil could go longer. Try 12,000 miles next time.

MI/HR ON OIL 10,370
MI/HR ON UNIT 40,065
SAMPLE DATE 06/21/06

Test Unit/Avg
ALUMINUM 4/3
CHROMIUM 1/1
IRON 6/8
COPPER 1/3
LEAD 0/1
TIN 3/1
MOLYBDENUM 36/86
NICKEL 1/0
MANGANESE 1/2
SILVER 0/0
TITANIUM 0/0
POTASSIUM 1/1
BORON 85/65
SILICON 12/11
SODIUM 4/14
CALCIUM 2071/2372
MAGNESIUM 105/67
PHOSPHORUS 711/724
ZINC 852/861
BARIUM 0/0

SUS VISCOSITY 52.1/53-56
@210F
FLASHPOINT 385/>355
FUEL% ANTIFREEZE% 0.0/0
WATER% 0.0/ INSOLUBLES% 0.2/
Although they said I could go for 12k miles next time but I'd like to stick with 10K OCI. BTW, out of these number, my BARON and MAGNESIUM number are higher than average. What are they?

Thanks!

B and Mg are additives. Do not worry.

welcome.gif

This is really an awesome report. 10K? way to go.

I have never owned a honda, but after looking at all these honda UOA engines especially from the accord...No wonder you hear about honda engines lasting forever.

I posted a thread awhile back about what is the lowest wearing engine. The Honda 2.4L had my vote. It's by far the lowest wearing engine out there. Good report, as usual with this engine.

*How do you drive this car? I drive mine fairly fast, and I'm adding 1/2qt of makeup oil around 6k miles on average.

Hi buster. I live in Bay Area and commute to work from San Jose to San Mateo daily. I'm not an aggressive driver but I do go fast or slow depends on trafic flow. Actually I did see a little bit drop on my oil stick toward the end of OCI but it was not much for me to add a makeup

Quote:

I posted a thread awhile back about what is the lowest wearing engine. The Honda 2.4L had my vote. It's by far the lowest wearing engine out there.

Are you sure? What about the Subaru engines? They always seem to show extremely low wear numbers too.

Pat, Subaru's are up there also but I really think the Honda 2.4 is at least in the top 3 if I had to chose.

I'd like to add some history of this car that I forgot to mention earlier. This sample was taken after a short Memorial weekend trip (05/2006) from San Jose to Vegas with A/C on and off. Around the same time in previous year (05/2005), I took this car to San Antonio, TX on 23hrs trip. We only stopped for gas and short break and tried to minimize a/c usage. I stayed there for 6 months and drove back to San Jose in Nov, 2005. During this time, I already had Amsoil X/L in my car but I didn't test oil sample during this period. Again, I didn't drive very aggressive but sometimes we were at constant speed around 90-95 mph on desert.

This is an awesome report even with it being a Honda 2.4L. Considering you drove at those speeds makes it more impressive. I'm surprised you didn't have to add more oil. My car uses 1/2qt ever 5-6k miles. Just curious as to how you broke it in?

Actually I did added a little bit more than 1/2 quart before leaving San Antonio and back to San Jose. But I didn't do UOA for this period. About break in, I think I just followed the manufacture manual. Nothing special.

So it sounds like over the course of a 10,000 mile interval you're using about 1/2qt?? That is still very good.

This analysis is excellent...I wouldn't change anything. The very low solids level and stable viscosity indicate that you have plenty of life left in this oil after 10k. However since it's under warranty, I wouldn't recommend extended the service intervals with this particular oil.

TS

I had to go all the way to the last sentence of the last post (Way to go, TooSlick!) to find someone who recognized what the "7500" in XL7500 is supposed to infer.

Why not a couple quarts of the 100% synthetic HDD 5W-30 and a couple quarts of dino 5W-20 the next time, if 10K is your desired OCI?

Just a suggestion...

Cheers!

Buster and Patman,

You're both wrong...given it's displacement, by far the lowest wearing gas engine on the planet is the 4.7L, Toyota V-8. It shows lower wear metal concentrations than many four cylinder engines that only displace 2.0-2.5 liters.

When you consider the displacement and the number of valvetrain parts that can shed iron in that design, the wear rates are almost unbelievable.

I believe LarryL and EkPolk would concur...;)

TS

Quote:

I had to go all the way to the last sentence of the last post (Way to go, TooSlick!) to find someone who recognized what the "7500" in XL7500 is supposed to infer.

It's not the XL7500 anymore, just XL series of oils. I imagine this is b/c of the very reason you have said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back