Amsoil worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all, Im new here and have been doing some searches, but cannot seem to find the info I am looking for. Please bear with me through this. My head is spinning after reading through all the posts about oil I have just gone through.

My car is a 2001 Camaro SS, T-56 trans, 437rwhp, cam/bolt on only. I am looking for an oil that I can drive on the street, decent amount of detergents, but something considerably better than what I can get off the shelf at the local parts store. The car only gets driven once or twice a week, but when its driven, it gets driven HARD. It is more of a RR car for the street than anything and it gets driven as such. Hard pulls through the RPM range (6700 rpm redline) it sees sustained high RPM pulls, etc, BUT it also gets driven around on the street to go run errands and so on from time to time as well.

The car currently gets filled with Castrol 10-30. The German stuff if I can find it, but I have been thinking about making the switch to AMSOIL. After reading through here though, I am not so sure anymore. I want to stay away from Dino oil, unless it can be validated as a better choice, but again I want something better than the off the shelf stuff.

Please help. I should change the oil within the next week or so and really would appreciate any input on the matter.

Thank you all!

I use Amsoil but for that car,I'd run Redline
thumbsup2.gif

Redline
Royal Purple
Amsoil

Any of those are good choices. Whichever is easier to get for you.

You're not looking to get your money's worth out of your oil in terms of longevity. You appear primarily focused on required durability under stress without complications in mundane usage.

Red Line wouldn't be a bad choice, I guess. You sound like you're not going to put too much mileage on it. Dominator 10w-30 would work for you I suppose.. if you wanted something highly additized. I'm sure that there's a few Amsoil offerings that would work just as well (SSO, HDD, ACD, ATM, AFL). The way you describe your service does tend to say/shout/spell Red Line ...so to speak. While RL can go some decent lengths of service, that's not its target market ..while that is Amsoil's for most of their offerings.

buster said:
AAmsoil is one of the only boutique brands worth buying. [/quote

I would use Amsoil if I had a non-sludger.But I`m not going to go more than 4 or 5,000 on oil with this particular motor,so it would be a waste.Even on GC I dont go more than 5k.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: StevieC
I'm a fan of Amsoil. Nothing makes me SUV run better. I'm about to try Redline and will keep you posted.
wink.gif

Redline is probably very good,but extreemly expensive!

Originally Posted By: buster
Amsoil is one of the only boutique brands worth buying.

I agree...that engine would live just fine on any good syn,M1,amsoil, PP.

Originally Posted By: daman
Originally Posted By: buster
Amsoil is one of the only boutique brands worth buying.

I agree...that engine would live just fine on any good syn,M1,amsoil, PP.

You Da-man!!
grin2.gif
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back