Amsoil worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: buster
Amsoil is one of the only boutique brands worth buying.

Nope.

Redline.

Amsoil is a fancy Mobil 1. There, I said it.

Originally Posted By: peterdes

Nope.

Redline.

I kind of agree with you on some of their oils. SSO is nice and so is ACD but you make a valid point.

Redline only has value in super high performance engines IMO. Engines specifically in need of an oil that can withstand very high temperatures and has a lot of ZDP.

If the car is being pushed to the red line, then you use RedLine.
The question is a very simple one to answer, and that is why they call it RedLine.
My cars never see the red line, so they don't get RedLine, also very simple. My engines are run up to a very good rpm, so they get a very good oil. Since there is no "VeryGood" brand of oil, that one is a bit more tricky to answer, which means you have to subscribe to and read this forum.

I just don't think Boutique Oils are worth it. Now, I am not a dino lover either.

Shopping for deals and using rebates, I have been able to stay fully stocked with Mobil 1, Pennzoil Platinum and German Castrol for about $4-$5 a quart.

I did do a round of Amsoil in my motorcycle and I thought it was great oil.....but I didn't think it was better than Rotella 5w40. I am now back to Rotella in the bike, as I just refuse to spend over $50 for oil in the bike.

Amsoil users...I am not trashing your decision....you are using great oil and your engines are well protected, but you are paying for it, that is for sure.

Originally Posted By: hounddog
Amsoil has many to choose from and is easy to order.The only Amsoil that is like Mobil 1 is the XL line and its even better.That info came from MANY on THIS site in previous posts/threads.

Not true. You know not what you speak. Any Amsoil dealer will tell you that. By the way Ams is a very good oil.IMMHO.

Last edited:
Quote:
The question is a very simple one to answer, and that is why they call it RedLine.

I use a guy who's company is named Fair Price Painting using the same reasoning.

Originally Posted By: peterdes

Nope.

Redline.

I beg to differ as someone who ran M1 and ran Amsoil my UOA's show much different levels of additives and the metals counts reported changed dramatically as well.

I'm not slamming Ams or M1, they are both good oils, but I feel (My Opinion) that Ams is a better oil. I was merely pointing out that their chemistries are not only different but produce different results so therefor they aren't "Fancy M1 oils"

StevieC,
I was just offering up a little humor for you.

As you my know I don't bash any ones oil, and Amsoil is a fine product. Use it in health.

Originally Posted By: tig1
StevieC,
I was just offering up a little humor for you.

As you my know I don't bash any ones oil, and Amsoil is a fine product. Use it in health.
That's what I figured, but thought I would make it clear to others who might not know you so well.

M1 is a darn fine oil and I would use it in a heatbeat, I just happen to like Amsoil better for my particular application.

When I buy my new car I will try the cheapest oil that meets my needs and work my way up from there.

cheers3.gif
bud!
grin2.gif

Amsoil isn't worth it if you buy it for a street application and dump it at 3 months or 3,000 mile intervals...just bypass Amsoil and go to the bargain rack if you are in that crowd!

Any Amsoil dealer will tell me what? From what I have read on this site is that Mobil 1 is not in the same league as most of the Amsoil products.

I think you are referring to me.

The Ams XL line is a Grp 3 oil only. An Amsoil dealer may correct me on this , but I don't think it has any Pao in it. Regular M1 has Some Grp3 base but also mostly 4-5. A big difference.

Also the M1 EP line is very high in 4-5 base, thus the garranteed 15,000 mile OCI. Many other M1 oils are also on par with the average Amsoil product, such as M1 0-40, M15-40TDT, M1 5-30-40HM, etc.

Last edited:
From what I have read on this site is that Mobil 1 is not in the same league as most of the Amsoil products.

WRONG...

Redline is the other.

With that type of performance and driving, I agree with your decision to not use long drain intervals.

I've used German Castrol 0W-30 for the last 3 years or so in my stock LS1. I've noticed better pressure and less noise than when I used Mobil 1 10W-30. I don't put a lot of miles on the car, and change it once a year (usually about 3k miles). More often if it sees the track. I wouldn't use any other type of Syntec - IMHO it's underperforming and overpriced.

You can stock up on GC right now for $28 - five quarts with a K&N oil filter, arguably the best oil and oil filter available for the LS1. I'm sure both Amsoil and Redline would be excellent oils, but at the GC price point, it would be hard to go with anything else. There must be a thousand Autozones in the LA area so it must be available. It's plentiful here in Vegas.

Where the "boutique" oils shine is in the rest of the drivetrain. I recommend filling the stock differential with AMSOIL SVG. At that horsepower, it is at its limits, if not beyond. Not sure about the tranny - if you find the best fluid for the T56, let me know as I'm about to change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back