Amsoil winding down. What next?

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by 59 Vetteman:
Why not GC? Red Line is to expensive to use for the average person like myself that normally only sees 4K a year on our car. Also we have seen enough data on Red Line to note that only Terry can interpet their results accurately.

I vote for GC, lets put this to the test. In fact I will donate the first Oil Analysis if you use GC. We haven't seen over 5K on this oil and no real historical data. Plus I don't know of anyone who has 150 bottles of Red Line in their shrine. But we have over 5 on this board that have that many and more of GC. Lets find out if the hoarding of GC is a brilliant move, or a so so item.

cheers.gif

I change my mind, I now put in a vote for GC as well!
smile.gif

It's true, with all the posts regarding GC, it would generate the most interest to see how it performs in the very long haul, especially since none of us have tried pushing it to it's full limits yet.

quote:

Originally posted by medic:
I am not going to vote one way or another. I will say, with the new news of GC being made in the USA, If GC is choosen it should be the new USA GC that is engineered for exteneded drains.

I agree with this. The German variety looks like it's obsolete. Why not use the current made in USA product...

quote:

2) Take a 6-month hiatus, bring back Mobil 1 for a 5,000-mile run to get an idea for how much its performance was tainted by break-in issues.

I would really like to see you bring back M1 just to see if it was tainted by the break in metals.

I particularly like BeltwayBandit's suggestion,
quote:

Delay the Redline for a year. Put in Mobil-1 for six months. If the Mobil-1 is still producing interesting results at that time you could extend for a total of 12 months. If the Mobil-1 is not interesting at that time (e.g. the data looks exactly like the first run of Mobil-1) then change to whatever seems like an interesting non-synth API SM oil in May and run it for six months.

While delaying the Redline test for a year, this approach will validate/disprove the assumption that your engine had high wear numbers from breaking in, and that Mobil-1 was as good as or better than Amsoil.

If it makes any difference at all, I’ve got 12,000 miles on GC in my Jeep 4.0 right now. I plan on running it to 15,000, then sample drain and refill. Should have this done by December.

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
My vote would be, a 5,000 mile run with M1 just to see if the break-in was that much of a factor, then put in Redline. I think GC would beat all these oils in wear and viscosity.

That is what I would like to see. This would clear up some issues and give GC a shot. I seriously think that GC is going to become a mainstream product.

Supertech with lube control
If it makes it to a high mileage, it could make us rethink some of our strongly held beliefs.

I love this place, I start with two ideas and end with 20
grin.gif

Well, FWIW, I'm still leaning toward settling the Mobil 1 break-in questions.

Cheers, 3MP

quote:

Well, FWIW, I'm still leaning toward settling the Mobil 1 break-in questions

That would work. Run that maybe for 3-5k miles, compare then move to GC. With RL I think we know what we would see.
grin.gif

Since more people use Mobil 1 than all the others combined I vote to try it for 5k. Then try the GC.
I will spring for the oil smaple if you will do the Mobil 1.
Dave

I still think it's a waste of time to run M1 again. We've seen it already and the engine was probably more than broken in during that first M1 test. The only difference you'd see now that the engine has more miles on it, would be lower copper. Everything else will probably be the same.

I would like to see how Royal Purple does myself. Both the Amsoil and Mobil 1 did very well, and it would be fun to see how Royal Purple stands against the top two.

Redline Redline Redline

Get the hint ?
smile.gif

It's supposed to be the best per some on the internet and I'd like to see it in action and a plus there is that the formula has not changed and apparently is not apt too .

Second choice , Pennzoil 10w-40
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back