Amsoil vs. Mobil 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
What if any difference is there in Mobil 1 and Amsoil. I'm looking at 5W-30 weight oils. I have a vehicle that is still under factory warranty and I'm concerned about the statment in the owners manual that says use only oils that have the starburst symbol for API certified oils. The Amsoil 5W-30 original synthetic doesnot have this symbol. If I have engine trouble I'm concerned that GM will use this to not honor the warranty.
So, with this in mind I'm thinking of using Mobil 1. Is Mobil 1 as good as Amsoil?

Is Mobil 1 as good as Amsoil? Absolutely.

Are there folks on here who will disagree with me? Absolutely.
wink.gif

Seriously, I think Mobil 1 is the best PAO synthetic you can buy. And since it is API certified, the GM warranty issue is a non-issue.

Hi, westex, I would do a search for Amsoil vs. Mobil 1. This is a rough topic that has been beat into the ground. I made the mistake of not reading prior posts when first joining this webpage. The broad sweeping generalization is that both are top notch oils. Mobil 1 is the best oil you can buy off the shelf and is API complete. Amsoil you generally have to order by phone or website (some local stores might carry it) and it gives you "possibly" a longer drain interval then Mobil 1. Please read the Oil Analysis forum where people have performed there own analysis using both products. Whatever you decide, don't go 25K or more with Amsoil/Mobil 1 based on tests in these forums.O ther then that have fun reading the tons of info. You won't go wrong with either. After reading everything on this board, I'd go with M1.

[ December 19, 2002, 08:02 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

Amsoil uses Exxon/Mobil synthetic basestocks and combines that with an additive package from Lubrizol. The only reason Amsoil doesn't have the API's "seal of approval" is because they limit the amount of ZDDP additives. These same additives are what allow the 25k mile drain intervals (using an Amsoil oil filter) Amsoil is famous for.

IMO, Amsoil is the best oil on the market, bar none. But Mobil 1 is a very good oil as well. And as far as the warranty issue, GM would have to prove it was the Amsoil oil that caused the problem.

And if you really want an API oil, Amsoil does have a new line of 100% synthetic Group 4 API certified oils called Series XL-7500. These oils are designed to go 7500 miles per oil change using your oil filter of choice. Current available viscosities are 5w-20, 5w-30, and 10w-30.

[ December 20, 2002, 10:22 PM: Message edited by: BOBISTHEOILGUY ]

"So how is it down in Oil Country? My wife is from East Texas (not as nice as west/central)"

Where exactly is she from? I live just outside of Tyler (east texas).
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by TexasTDI:
Amsoil uses Exxon/Mobil synthetic basestocks and combines that with an additive package from Lubrizol. The only reason Amsoil doesn't have the API's "seal of approval" is because they limit the amount of ZDDP additives.

If this is indeed the case, why doesn't Amsoil spring for SL certification? It's only the "Starburst" and GF-3 that requires a certain phosphorous level. The Rotella T Syn I'm using is loaded with phosphorous, but it still carries the API "doughnut" and is SL certified.

quote:

Originally posted by TexasTDI:

And if you really want an API oil, Amsoil does have a new line of 100% synthetic Group 4 API certified oils called Series XL-7500

I thought the XL-7500 oils now have GroupIII base stock or am I confused. Is Group 4 PAO?

I'll send you a message...I don't want to go off topic (which is why I deleted it). check your profile in a minute.

I'm not trying to highjack Westex39's post here but I've got to ask, how would they even know what oil it is? Can they do an analysis and tell what specific brand the oil is?
confused.gif

quote:

Originally posted by JWRENCH:
I'm not trying to highjack Westex39's post here but I've got to ask, how would they even know what oil it is? Can they do an analysis and tell what specific brand the oil is?
confused.gif

Well if there is engine trouble and you produce Amsoil receipts they theoretically would know that your oil is not API approved.

What are the chances that you are going to have engine trouble? Since my first car in 1968 to today, I have never had any engine problem with any of my GM cars. Have been using Amsoil since 1977 (not a typo) and none of it was API certified.

Please change your oil more often, Saddam is going to need the $$.

[ December 19, 2002, 08:42 PM: Message edited by: Mike ]

How about, Please open up ANWAR and lets start developing alternative fuel sources so we don't have to give ANY of them $$. Energy Independence!
patriot.gif

[ December 19, 2002, 08:54 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

Huge debate everywhere!

OK Look to your left. I am biased.

My 1985 Volvo 245Ti (L4 2.1 L Intercooled Turbo Wagon) goes 10K intervals with ease on Amsoil. The car has 234,000 miles and the engine pulls hard, has great compression uses essentially no oil and the oil analysis looks good.

My 1996 Volvo 855 (L5 2.5 L wagon) is approaching 20K miles on the 5W-30 Amsoil in this car. I will get a three lab analysis on the oil in Feb. or so. I wouldn’t go a 20K oil change interval on Mobil1.

The 1 qt of Amsoil 5W-30 currently on my desk is clearly labeled “API Service SL-CF” on the front. On the rear it says “Meets or exceeds the engine protection requirements of all domestic and foreign gasoline..engines specifying the following: SAE 5W-30 API Service SL, SJ, CF – ILSAC GF-3…ACEA A3, B3, B4…..”

I also suggest you seek out and find the independent GF-3 (Sequence IIIF) test on Amsoil 10W-30 and the Mobil 1 and Amsoil 5W-30 shoot out. In the GF-3 test (basically a GM 3.8 L engine run hard with a load, then stripped down) Amsoil 10W-30 went 3X the required test time and still passed. In the 5W-30 shootout the oils were close, but the volatility of the Mobil was pretty high at 9%. Amsoil 5W-30 was 5%.

[ December 19, 2002, 08:57 PM: Message edited by: Pablo ]

quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:
The 1 qt of Amsoil 5W-30 currently on my desk is clearly labeled “API Service SL-CF” on the front. On the rear it says “Meets or exceeds the engine protection requirements of all domestic and foreign gasoline..engines specifying the following: SAE 5W-30 API Service SL, SJ, CF – ILSAC GF-3…ACEA A3, B3, B4…..”

I've got the utmost respect for anyone who advocates a particular oil based on his own good experience(s) with it. However, Amsoil putting "API Service SL-CF" on the bottle is not the same thing as having the API doughnut or starburst on there. Only those indicate that the oil is API certified. The XL-7500 line are the only Amsoil oils that are API certified "for gasoline engines." I think one of their HD diesel oils may carry the API doughnut, but I'm not sure.

quote:

Originally posted by XHVI:
However, Amsoil putting "API Service SL-CF" on the bottle is not the same thing as having the API doughnut or starburst on there. Only those indicate that the oil is API certified.
If the API starburst is of utmost importance ACE has oils that have it and are available at ACE Hardware, all API certified.

quote:

Originally posted by 59 Vetteman:

quote:

Originally posted by XHVI:
However, Amsoil putting "API Service SL-CF" on the bottle is not the same thing as having the API doughnut or starburst on there. Only those indicate that the oil is API certified.
If the API starburst is of utmost importance ACE has oils that have it and are available at ACE Hardware, all API certified.
Ha Ha. My point was not to play word games with the Amsoil label. Amsoil can say the oil is for "API SL service" or whatever, but that doesn't make it API certified.

I much prefer Amsoil. Below are two analysis' from a 97 Maxima that is driven on roadcourses and autocrossed in 90 heat. Mobil 1 is the first column, Amsoil is the second. Both oil's were 5W-30 and the interval on the Mobil 1 was 8060 and the Amsoil 8274.

Aluminum 4/5
Chromium 3/4
Iron 13/13
Copper 4/3
Lead 7/8
Tin 1/0
Moly 2/1
Boron 50/21
Silicon 9/7
Sodium 7/3
Calcium 823/2463
Magnesium 1421/509
Phosphorus 703/1019
Zinc 818/1265
SUS at 212F 62/60.5
Flash 385/415
Insolubles .2/.4

Wear was pretty even between the two, but the biggest difference I noticed was the Mobil 1 actually started to thicken (pretty rare for M1) and the Amsoil stayed put. I'm kicking myself for not having any TBN or oxidation data, but I suspect the M1 was near it's limit and the Amsoil was still good to go. Any thoughts from the experts based on what you can see?

I like the higher flashpoint of the Amsoil and the Lower viscosity. Unfortunately these results would need to be ran again using SuperSyn instead of Tri-Syn to make any conclusions for which is better today.

BTW, you might want to post this to the Analysis section if you haven't already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back