Amsoil vs. Amsoil vs. Amsoil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wonder if someone can explain to me, in 1000 words or less, what the differences would be:
Amsoil 5W-30 (ATM)
vs.
Amsoil XL-7500 5W-30 (XLF)
vs.
Amsoil 3000 5W-30 (HDD)?
vs.
Amsoil Series 2000 5W-30

I don't understand why they have so many formulations of the same basic product. I'd like to choose one of these to try, but it's confusing. What am I missing?

[ December 06, 2003, 02:06 PM: Message edited by: bearclaw ]

ATM is actually their 10w30, the ASL is their 5w30. The ASL (and ATM) products are both PAO/ester based full synthetics designed for 25k drains. The XL7500 series uses a group 3 base oil and is designed for a 7500 mile drain and is API approved with the starburst. The HDD 5w30 is their series 3000 heavy duty diesel oil, and is designed for 35k drains, it can be used in gas engines too.

Patman summed it up. S2k, S3k and ATM/
ASL all have different chemisty. ATM/ASL have the same chemistry. 0w-30 S2k is supposed to be there best product. I beg to differ on that. S3k is a diesel oil and gas engine oil is there best oil for extended drains. I use Amsoil 5w-30/10w-30 bc I think it's there best oil for the money.

Can ya 'dumb it down' for me so it isn't two pages? For the benefit of others who might be reading this and wondering the same thing, as well...

I agree, I think you would do a great service to the readers of this board if you could find the time to explain the differences in these oils Ted! Pretty please?
cheers.gif

Email me your phone # and I'll give you the detailed (and correct) explanation. I don't feel like typing two pages worth of stuff!

HDD and ASL do not use the same basestock ...

Ted K
Dixie Synthetics

[ December 07, 2003, 12:56 PM: Message edited by: TooSlick ]

Yes, I'd LOVE an answer on this too. This is what I understand:

5w30 (ASL) - $5.85qt. 25k drains. General recommendation.

5w30 Series 3000 (HDD) - $8.35qt. 35k drains. Extensive additives. Recommended for diesel engines and fleets.

0w30 Series 2000 (TSO) - $8.35qt. 35k drains. Extensive additives. Recommended for fuel efficiency, power and for cold starts.

It seems like the Series 2000/3000 oil are superior, especially with the extensive additives. Are they worth the extra $2.50 a qt? Can I use this "diesel oil" in my daily driver in my gas car? I'd use 0w in the winter, but what's best for a daily driver that also sees 8000rpm at the track?

quote:

Originally posted by Mobil2:

It seems like the Series 2000/3000 oil are superior, especially with the extensive additives. Are they worth the extra $2.50 a qt? Can I use this "diesel oil" in my daily driver in my gas car? I'd use 0w in the winter, but what's best for a daily driver that also sees 8000rpm at the track? [/QB]

The 0w30 will work fine for your daily driver, even on track days. The Series 2000 uses racing technology (base+additives) But is designed for street use. If you have a small 4-6 cylinder you will get the most hp out of the 0w30. Large V-8's don't do as well with the 0w30.

Thanks msparks.

I would have assumed either of the 5w30 oils would be better for my semi-frequent summer track days thou because they're thicker and have a higher flash point. My iVETC engine tends to burn oil sometimes too, so the low Noack also on the 5w oil also appealed to me.
dunno.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back