Amsoil synthetic in a Toyota 22RE ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doesn't sound like credible reasons NOT to use Amsoil or any synthetic in my opinion. I would ignore this statement, and use what you think is best based upon research on this site. If it were me, I wouldn't hesitate to use Amsoil or Mobil 1 synthetics after a breakin period.

I would use Schaeffer's 703 blend for run-in and then switch to a synthetic with moly.

If anything needs AW additives, its the cam lobes and followers.

I have a '94 22R-E that has had synthetic oil in it for 7 years
gr_eek2.gif
No problems. The engine-although they sound rough and loose-are durable and probably could run on almost anything that resembles a lubricant.

Guys, I just had my 1985 Toyota's 22RE rebuilt. I was thinking of going to Amsoil's 10W-30 sythetic after break-in, but the guy who rebuilt the engine (very respected in west Texas) advised against it due to the cam follower design. He mentioned scuff wear and a few other things and said that he would just stick with Castrol or Valvoline if it were his.
dunno.gif

What do ya'll think ? What oil should I use and what filter should I use ?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

"...scuff wear and a few other things..."

Please elaborate. Why would Amsoil be bad? Was he just talking synthetic oil in general?

Why did the engine need an overhaul?

I have an 1985 SR5 With a 22REc and have had Amsoil in it for 4 years - but honestly I rarely drive the truck....it has about 110K on it.

Pablo,
I'm not sure what he meant by scuff wear concerns, but he seemed to also indicate that the oil film thickness would not be enough for the how the cam followers are designed. Would this affect lift and duration ? The engine needed a rebuild because a company in Las Vegas did some head work on it after it overheated and blew a head gasket and left some foreign material in the crankcase. The oil pickup screen plugged up and starved the bearings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back