Amsoil synthetic air compressor oil in Porter Cable air comrpessors?...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have two oil-lube Porter Cable electric air compressors. One is a small C3551 Job Boss 4.5 Gallon, 150 PSI, Oil-Lube Mobile Compressor. The other is a CPL6025 6 HP, 25-Gallon, 150 PSI Oil-Lube Compressor.

Both owner's manuals call for API CG/CD Heavy Duty air compressor oils: SAE 30 for the smaller compressor, SAE 20 for the larger one. (Both warn against using multi-viscosity motor oil.)

Neither manual mentions synthetic oil, but a Porter Cable tech rep told me that use of synthetic oil will void my warranty.

I've used Amsoil in the 25 gallon compressor for several months. I exchanged the compressor today when the air pressure regulator valve failed.

I know that failure wasn't related my use of synthetic oil, but the entire time I owned that compressor oil was slowly leaking from the oil drain plug. I tried tightening it, but the oil would still leak slowly. And Porter Cable said not to use any type of thread sealent on the plug.

So now that I have a new one, and have yet to use the smaller compressor, I am really wondering if I should use Amsoil synthetic air compressor oil.

confused.gif
An Amsoil rep I spoke to said I should, but I keep wondering why the synthetic leaked from the larger compressor's drain plug?

confused.gif
Also, why would Porter Cable be so against my using synthetic air compressor oil?

I'd sure appreciate any input.

I had a Craftsman oil-lubed compressor for years and used teflon tape on the drain plug. Just make sure you start your wrap several threads back. I think your smart oil choice has nothing to do with it.

What? Typically compressor oils are not specified by the API - yet the same company that does this says not to use synthetic oil. Believe me Porter Cable doesn't know squat about oil. Their electric tools are OK, but I am not impressed with their air tools. I wonder who made the failed regulator.

Which oil are you using compressor oils ?

The infamous unnamed "Amsoil rep" - who did you buy the bloody oil from? Why didn't you buy it from me?

I'm starting to like the Texas Grease Monkey. He speaks well. Porter Cable could not possibly be opposed to use of Teflon tape on the plug.

I have used Amsoil compressor oils for 20 years in the same compressor. It seems anything from ISO 32 to 100 works. I prefer the PCI at ISO 46 for year-round use.

I used the Amsoil compressor oil in 2 Craftsman 5hp models. Sold the first one to buy a bigger tank model, it still ran like brand new after about 5 years.

I would don't use teflon tape, but no reason why you can't. There is no ryme or reason why some companies won't recommend synthetics.

Could it be because your stuff last longer has lower wear and they want to sell their oil and compressors more often?
If they don't sell a synthetic I would be suspicious If they do market a synthetic they are hypocrites!

"I would don't use teflon tape"

Sorry I contradicted myself. I have used teflon but don't normally, Bad editing.
The void warranty thing is BS, it's a scare tactic. Use the teflon tape and when you drain the oil just grab any loose strings with a tweezer and pull out.
Then reseal the drain plug with teflon and refill, simple.

Good luck

I am asking myself the same question right now. I have a new P-C C5510 compressor on back order. I figure I will run the Porter Cable compressor oil for the 20 minute break in period, then run it normally for perhaps a month or so (maybe an hour of run time...if even that much). Then I would like to switch to a synthetic oil that will work well in an unheated garage where temps may go below zero during the winter and approach 100 degrees in July. I had looked at the Amsoil 20 wt. oils for this 2hp (running), 20 gal. 150 psi compressor, but I was VERY disappointed to find that I could only purchase it in 5 gallon pails. A single gallon will last me several years, as the sump on this unit is only 16 oz. I would really like to get it by the quart!

Yes you can get Amsoil's SAE 20 compressor oil, product code PCI, in quarts. We use this and their SAE 40 (ISO 100) in our reciprocating compressors with great results. When something calls for a SAE 30 or ISO 68, we just mix equal amounts of the other 2 to come up with with this viscosity approximately, since it is the SAE 30 that does NOT come in quarts. You can check out their stuff here: http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/pc.aspx
Maybe you could support BITOG by buying from one of the Amsoil site sponsors. I already have an account for Amsoil stuff, or I would do the same.

Thanks Pablo. I got your email, and I am trying to get in touch with P-C/Delta/Black and Decker/DeVilbis about the correct oil weight.

I ended up buying the CPL6025 compressor a couple of weeks ago. The C5510 model that I was looking at was the same motor and compressor pump set up to run 15 psi higher with a smaller air tank. From what I have read, the higher psi makes the smaller tank hold as much air as the larger tank while conserving a bit of floor space. I also read that running a pump at higher pressures makes it work harder and could shorten the life of the pump, plus it causes the motor to draw more amperage, increasing the likelyhood of tripping a breaker, especially at colder temperatures. I opted for the lower pressure model and called DeVilbiss (Porter Cable subsidiary that actually manufactures the unit) and I was told that SAE 30wt was recommended for normal use. When I told him about cold winters and using it in the garage he said a 10wt or 20wt synthetic would work great in those situations. I asked about a 20wt synthetic for year round occational use and he agreed that it was probably the best option.

I emailed Pablo, got his vendor number, went online to the Amsoil site and purchased the oil. I ran the compressor for the 20 minute breakin procedure as the manual recommends (with the Amsoil PCI 20wt oil) and have now used the compressor for approximately 2-1/2 to 3 hrs of run time. It purrs like a kitten. I recommend the Amsoil compressor oil. Although the machine is new, it starts and runs very quietly and does not draw enough amperage on a 20 amp circuit to dim the lights at startup. My father in law works mainenence at a local mill, and he said they bought 2 of these same compressors (because they were portable and worked off of 115v for use where they couldn't get factory air), but returned them for smaller models after these tripped breakers. Maybe it was a thicker oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back