Amsoil SVG versus Mobil1 Syn Gear Lube

You will undoubtedly receive many opinions on this, but arguably Amsoil gear oil is one of the best (if not the best) on the market and I have used it with great results. I am not affiliated with Amsoil in any way--just my experience. With that said, M1 is also great oil. You may want to consider moving your viscosity up 1 level for the rear axle to 75W-110 as it was the upper viscosity that 75W-90 used to be before the SAE J306 tables were updated a while back.

PS...no issues using LS oil in a non-LS axle (only the reverse is an issue with potential clutch pack chattering).

I would think the Mobil 1 is equivalent to the Amsoil Long Life gear lube and the Amsoil SVG is a step up from the Mobil 1.

I use SVG as the cost is pretty low (when you consider quantity and frequency) and I can be confident that I have one of the best gear oils in the differential. I sleep well.

Been using the Mobil 1 gear oil in my Ram in signature for the last 60,xxx miles. Great gear oil at a great price. Amsoil is really great also -- just never tried it personally in a vehicle. Did run it in my 08 Road King 103c.i. with good results.

The only time I had an axle bearing go bad on my was running M1 75w90 in a Ford 8.8 light duty application. *shrugs*

Probably ok with either. I've used Mobil 1 Syn Gear Lube 75W-90 for 30 years without issue. Never did a post gear inspection or UOA, though.

Unless severely misapplied, gearboxes are pretty tough and often will die of contamination (dirt, water past seals or ingested in breather tube) 1st before any oil breakdown. In fact, CAT moved their bulldozer drivelines up in the 1980's for just this reason - too many geardrives were dying from dirt contamination past the seals, so they moved the geartrain up.

Agree Amsoil Severe Gear PAO is top in the market. I'd probably only use for a severe application - racing, overload, hot climate, etc. Otherwise M1 should be good enough. LS in non-clutch differential is ok. The other way around is not ok. Just changed my Chev Kodiak C5500 rear end @ 50,000 miles with M1. 2-1/2 gallons!

I only lost the ring, pinion, spiders, bearings, and pins with Pennzoil ran from 30k to 62k …

Originally Posted by 4WD
I only lost the ring, pinion, spiders, bearings, and pins with Pennzoil ran from 30k to 62k …

I'd call that total failure with Pennzoil !!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted by 4WD

UOA? Never heard of this happening.

It turned to water … if not for the gear oil stink … would of thought it was hydraulic fluid.

Bought a rear end with higher mileage than the truck … put Schaeffer gear oil in that.

Originally Posted by 4WD
It turned to water … if not for the gear oil stink … would of thought it was hydraulic fluid.

Bought a rear end with higher mileage than the truck … put Schaeffer gear oil in that.

Dang

That's a crazy deal for sure

Was it Synthetic Pennzoil Platinum gear oil or

Conventional Pennzoil ?

Originally Posted by 4WD
Conventional … back in 2002 …

18 years ago !!!!...³

Is that relevant news worthy for today 4wd ???🤔
I'd think not

Lots of stuff has changed in 18 years

18 years ago I didn't have grey hair
But I do now !!...³...³ðŸ¤£ðŸ¤£

Last edited:
Both are fine, [censored] just changing it period is light years ahead of most owners, even dino Castrol or Valvoline like I use in my signature Tundra.

I've used ‘em all, Supertech, M1, Royal Purple, Amsoil, syn and dino and never an issue, as far as I'm concerned if it meets manufacturer specs it's GTG

Last edited:
Back