Amsoil SVG 75-90 or 75-110

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our 2003 X5 is coming up for a fluid change time. I have done a SVG 75-90 front/rear differential fluid sway at some point in time.

Whaddya guys thing. Should I run with the 75-90 SVG or go with the slightly thicker 75-110.

Any noise or issues with the 90wt?

Do you require 90wt?

Hows the history of the 'ends on the x5 or similar models with that automaker?

Does your NY location need anything thicker?

Do you tow, plow, haul, or race?

What is your change interval?

Any mods?

Driving style?

Plenty of mods, but this is more appearance than performance. It is still a SUV after all. I have not towed in the last 2 years but I THINK/feel that I will be going back to track (tow) starting this spring of '10. The X has 71K miles on it. If I had to take a while guess, I changed to SVG 75-90 at around 30-32K.

if you're gonna tow something heavy, I would go a little heavier - altho its not really needed with the svg. I run regular amsoil 75-90 in my diffs and my truck/trailer combo weigh in at over 11k lbs.

Interesting observation I made. Heavy trucks such as tri-axles spec 75w90 and in my Dodge manual it specs 75w90 for the 2500/3500 but 75w140 for the 1500 so go figure. It seems that 75w90 is better for pulling weight or at least it seems speced that way. Could be its cooling and flowing charistics. Ironic is that the same people who recommend a heavier gear oil, also are the same ones who recommend a lighter engine oil.

BMW likely specifies castrol xj for the diff, and it is 75w-140. I'd run the -110 at minimum.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
Interesting observation I made. Heavy trucks such as tri-axles spec 75w90 and in my Dodge manual it specs 75w90 for the 2500/3500 but 75w140 for the 1500 so go figure. It seems that 75w90 is better for pulling weight or at least it seems speced that way. Could be its cooling and flowing charistics. Ironic is that the same people who recommend a heavier gear oil, also are the same ones who recommend a lighter engine oil.

diff size and sump capacity. BMW often has to put large heatsinks on their doffs, and in my experience, they get pretty darn hot.

My Subaru made noise with the SVG 75w90. I spiked it with some heaver lube and the noise went away.

I agree with my dealer (Pablo) on the 75w-110.
01.gif

Bill

I agree with Pablo on this one. First nothing to lose since they are both 75W's so cold flow and ecconomy should be about the same between the two products. If you should need the extra viscosity you will already have it in the sump. IF you have 90W intheir and need more well guess what you out of luck and just had some metal to metal contact etc........Usualy the bigest worry with 140wt. is that if it is not properly formulated cold channeling can be a serious issue. I am sure AMsoil 110 product is well thought out and built with solid foundations. IF you think you need more then that Redline makes a 75W250.

I agree with the 75W-110 if you will be towing any.

While on the subject, what weight Severe Gear would you guys recommend in a 2007 Duramax 2500 Silverado with helical gear limited slip (aftermarket)? Truck has 60k miles on it and tows a double axle trailer when in use. They drive to shows all over the US. The guy who installed the limited slip put in Lucas 75W-140, which made all kind of noise in turns once the diff got hot. So he drained out the Lucas and has been running RP without issue since then, but cannot remember what grade he bought, except that it was expensive. He wants to change it now with 30k miles on the gear oil that is in there. I told him to get some 75W-140 because of the full-time towing and he has said he values protection over fuel economy. What do you think?

Sorry, not meaning to hyjack the good chef's thread, just need quick recommendation from others if possible.

I value protection over MPG. Stick with the 140wt for the Duramax.

And, the 110wt for the X5 is a good upgrade.

Originally Posted By: chefwong
OEM spec for my differential is 75W90

ON BMWs? I thin xj, a 75w-140 is spec for all installs, definitely at least all LSDs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back