Amsoil success story

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by madRiver
Originally Posted by hallstevenson
I'd give 90% of the credit there to Subaru and 10% to the oil used

The 2.2L was an incredible Subaru motor for durability.

+1 The old closed deck EJ would have done that on any oil changed with any sort of regularity, good transmission in that car too.

It's a nice story. I'm not sure why you included an anecdote about a Jatco CVT needing replacement. Their history speaks for itself, regardless of fluid used.

Originally Posted by doitmyself
It's a nice story. I'm not sure why you included an anecdote about a Jatco CVT needing replacement. Their history speaks for itself, regardless of fluid used.

Been nice if CVT had 300k miles on it. That would be amazing if Amsoil was the fluid.

Originally Posted by JLTD
Stevie, what interval were you going prior to the cam breaking?

The Factory change interval was 3K miles (5,000km) and running Vanilla bottle M1 back then it was spent at 4K miles (estimated) when I ran a UOA at 4K. I ran this UOA shortly after joining here and learning about extended drain intervals etc. I forget who it was but they told me to try Amsoil, so I did. Ran it for 2 fills at 3K miles and then ran a UOA and things looks great to run it past 3K miles. The 2.7L was a high revving underpowered engine that was hard on oil.

I kept pushing it past that point and while 10K miles (16,000km) was possible it would have been right at the limit of the TBN and the TAN / Fuel dilution would be high along with the nitration by this point so I decided to run it to 6K miles (10,000km) to be safe because I was too nervous to take it out to 10K miles (16,000km) back then.

Also because my driving at that time would vary greatly. Some months all stop-go traffic, some months all highway so if I ran it to 10K miles and that was safe as per the UOA but it was all based on a lot of highway driving that might not be the case in the months where there was a lot of stop-go traffic.

Last edited:
Watched a Youtube Video yesterday of a guy picking up a clean title non wrecked repo Ridgeline from CoPart. While he was waiting on a battery jump, he walked the CoPart yard and there was a bunch of used Toyota Corolla Taxis up for auction and the all had high 300K+ to one that had 490K+ miles. I guarantee all those Taxi Corollas got nothing but the cheapest dino with change intervals beyond the OEM recommendation. I doubt the use of Amsoil would have gotten those vehicles any farther down the road.

Originally Posted by Hootbro
Watched a Youtube Video yesterday of a guy picking up a clean title non wrecked repo Ridgeline from CoPart. While he was waiting on a battery jump, he walked the CoPart yard and there was a bunch of used Toyota Corolla Taxis up for auction and the all had high 300K+ to one that had 490K+ miles. I guarantee all those Taxi Corollas got nothing but the cheapest dino with change intervals beyond the OEM recommendation. I doubt the use of Amsoil would have gotten those vehicles any farther down the road.

In a properly designed application that are low wearing and bulletproof like those particular Toyota's sure. In others where wear can be decreased through choosing a different lubricant (whether it be Amsoil or any other brand but of higher quality additive packages and things we can't see on a standard UOA like organic components) maybe not so much. That's my opinion.

I've literally pulled apart hundreds of engines and you can tell the owners using synthetic and conventional both from the amount of varnish, sludge and measured wear to determine what parts need replacement. Same goes for Transmissions and the lack of varnish and sludge on valve bodies and clutch plates and even the casing of the transmission is always a different story from OE fluids and higher quality synthetics. This is back before they all started using better quality fluids as of late. Although I would argue that there are still some "so-so" ATF's out there compared to better options. (Opinion though)

Last edited:
Originally Posted by StevieC

In a properly designed application that are low wearing and bulletproof like those particular Toyota's sure. In others where wear can be decreased through choosing a different lubricant (whether it be Amsoil or any other brand but of higher quality additive packages and things we can't see on a standard UOA like organic components) maybe not so much. That's my opinion.

I've literally pulled apart hundreds of engines and you can tell the owners using synthetic and conventional both from the amount of varnish, sludge and measured wear to determine what parts need replacement. Same goes for Transmissions and the lack of varnish and sludge on valve bodies and clutch plates and even the casing of the transmission is always a different story from OE fluids and higher quality synthetics. This is back before they all started using better quality fluids as of late. Although I would argue that there are still some "so-so" ATF's out there compared to better options. (Opinion though)

I respect your opinion and think Amsoil is a great product. I just do not think the cost to benefit ratio is there for 99.9% of people. Depending on what test or studies people want to quote, while Amsoil may win the spec race by red pubic hairs width length,is the cost justified?

If one is trying to overcome bad engineering by justifying the use of Amsoil, that is a red herring to prove unless you got a similar example running as a control sample and even that is subjective because so much else factors into engine longevity than just the oil selection.

No arguement with that... The cost is fine if you push it for extended OCI's where other oils might not be capable but using it for 5-8K miles seems like a waste when other far less expensive oils than signature series are available and will accomplish the same job in the same time.

Whether it's Amsoil or some other brand capable of Extended OCI's like say M1's A.P. That's what I was getting at versus using it over say bargain oils for engines that could uses a little bit of help to last longer versus say a Toyota running Olive-Oil.
grin2.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back