Amsoil success story

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I had the VC gaskets and spark tube seals replaced on my 07 Impreza last week. The guy that did them asked if I knew the red 1989 Legacy wagon that delivers mail (we are all rural routes here, no postal trucks), and I said yes. He said the owner bought it new and has used Amsoil exclusively, and the valve covers have never been off the engine. It's now at 397k. I think it's pretty obvious that a rural carrier route, where about 20% of the roads are still gravel, qualifies as severe service. The only thing that's been done to the engine has been 3 timing belts and water pumps, which is a consumable on these engines. No work on the tranny either, which has used Amsoil ATF.

This is in stark contrast to the 2012-2014 Jeep Patriot he had on his lot, which had a CVT failure. He expressed his concerns with calling the customer, because the cost of a new CVT exceeds the current KBB price of the car!

Bottom line, yes, Amsoil products are pricey, but if you intend on keeping the car for 30 years, it may make sense if it keeps you from buying a new vehicle and/or having significant repairs! Sure, these results are probably achievable with other oils and transmission fluids as well... but most people just don't keep a vehicle long enough to make these observations.

I don't have quite that many miles on my 87 4Runner but it's just a hair shy of 344k most of which was on conventional oil, all the way back to API SG. Engine transmission and transfer case are original to the truck and not rebuilt.

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Bottom line, yes, Amsoil products are pricey, but if you intend on keeping the car for 30 years, it may make sense if it keeps you from buying a new vehicle and/or having significant repairs! Sure, these results are probably achievable with other oils and transmission fluids as well... but most people just don't keep a vehicle long enough to make these observations.

Well I'm up to 25 years on my BMW using mostly Mobil 1 oil with some Castrol thrown in the past couple of years. Only 21 years on my old Sienna but over 400,000 miles using the same brands and this is the notorious 1MZ-FE. Both have original transmissions using the cheapest dexron VI I can find for the BMW and Maxlife ATF for the Sienna.

Worked great for my Santa Fe, Internals were spotless (picture posted here) when the camshaft snapped at 300K miles (535K KM) from a casting defect. It wasn't using or leaking any oil either.
I ran Signature Series 0w30 in it for 90% of its life. (M1 prior to that).

Thanks for sharing that story SubieRubyRoo
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by FlyNavyP3
I don't have quite that many miles on my 87 4Runner but it's just a hair shy of 344k most of which was on conventional oil, all the way back to API SG. Engine transmission and transfer case are original to the truck and not rebuilt.

So does that mean this is really a failure story or that anecdotal evidence doesn't prove a theory?

I can only think of a handful of modern cars that I'd want to keep for 30 years and have yet to have an internal engine problem when using M1, PP, or OEM Synthetic, apart from a Subaru which was recalled for defective rings. Most every other system in a vehicle I have owned has failed long before the engine.

Originally Posted by Wolf359

So does that mean this is really a failure story or that anecdotal evidence doesn't prove a theory?

The latter, or neither. Depends on your prospective I suppose.

I'd give 90% of the credit there to Subaru and 10% to the oil used

Originally Posted by kschachn

Well I'm up to 25 years on my BMW using mostly Mobil 1 oil with some Castrol thrown in the past couple of years. Only 21 years on my old Sienna but over 400,000 miles using the same brands and this is the notorious 1MZ-FE. Both have original transmissions using the cheapest dexron VI I can find for the BMW and Maxlife ATF for the Sienna.

I took my '03 1MZ-FE off the road last month with approximately 265k Kms. on it. All original with the exception of consumables. Conventional oil and jobber filters every 5k Kms. The rust belt strikes again.

I once had a guy tell me that he was a better person than me because he used Amsoil, and that he was inspiring others and making a difference in their life's.

^^^True story. I told him I was going to continue using whatever Synthetic was on sale at Walmart, and that his rent was three days late.

Our 2005 MGM 4.6L engine has 260k miles on it, all on conventional oil. In fact, it runs 10k mile OFCIs on the least expensive oil I can find (typically Rural King). Clean under the VC and fantastic UOAs.

I don't seen any evidence that any PAO is the exclusive route to longevity.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by hallstevenson
I'd give 90% of the credit there to Subaru and 10% to the oil used

Agreed.
An 89 Legacy is far different mechanically than any of Subaru's recent offerings.

Originally Posted by StevieC
Worked great for my Santa Fe, Internals were spotless (picture posted here) when the camshaft snapped at 300K miles (535K KM) from a casting defect. It wasn't using or leaking any oil either.
I ran Signature Series 0w30 in it for 90% of its life.

You sure the Amsoil didn't cause that failure?
300k miles, psssh. That's just getting broken in .
smirk.gif

Originally Posted by Lolvoguy
Originally Posted by StevieC
I ran Signature Series 0w30 in it for 90% of its life.

You sure the Amsoil didn't cause that failure?
300k miles, psssh. That's just getting broken in .
smirk.gif

The shaft broke in between the lobes and broke unevenly so it was definately a casting defect. I mean it is a Hyundai. Not a legendary "can do no wrong" Toyota.
lol.gif

So I had the VC gaskets and spark tube seals replaced on my 07 Impreza last week. The guy that did them asked if I knew the red 1989 Legacy wagon that delivers mail (we are all rural routes here, no postal trucks), and I said yes. He said the owner bought it new and has used Amsoil exclusively, and the valve covers have never been off the engine. It's now at 397k. I think it's pretty obvious that a rural carrier route, where about 20% of the roads are still gravel, qualifies as severe service. The only thing that's been done to the engine has been 3 timing belts and water pumps, which is a consumable on these engines. No work on the tranny either, which has used Amsoil ATF.

This is in stark contrast to the 2012-2014 Jeep Patriot he had on his lot, which had a CVT failure. He expressed his concerns with calling the customer, because the cost of a new CVT exceeds the current KBB price of the car!

No doubt Amsoil is excellent oil. But so are most of synthetic oils on the shelves at Walmart.

I was on a 4Runner forum for awhile. There was a member with a '99 which 4 or so years ago was approaching 800k on the all original powertrain. It was a V6, 4wd, auto trans. model. It was just serviced regularly by his Toyota dealer. They always used the bulk dino oil, and performed any preventive maintenance as spelled out in the service schedule.

IIRC, he worked in the oil industry in Texas and surrounding States.

Originally Posted by CT8
It wasn't the Amsoil.

Exactly

We're still driving a Crown Vic 4.6 with over 330,000 miles and we've never used Amsoil ever in this vehicle.

I doubt it would be any different if it were Mobil 1, Pennzoil or any of the other major brands. Engine and trans are up to operating temp and stays there, not shut off and restarted all day, not many hot/cold cycles. I am not surprised the CVT failed in this kind of use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back