Amsoil stage 2 air filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anybody else had a problem with them? I have one in my Trans Am and one in my Durango R/T,and they both were coming apart after 8k miles( the rubber seal around the edge). Will amsoil replace them under warranty or not?

thanks for the help

I have read that people have had problems. I have never seen one degrade, etc and I must admit have sold a few. I'm approaching 90,000 miles on one it's perfectly fine. I always wonder about the heat they may be exposed to or how often some folks clean them or what chemicals are used to clean the filters.

The first thing you should do is talk to your dealer. IF I ever had one with a problem and I was the dealer I would make it worriless for the customer, by making it right whatever it took and then going after Amsoil's warranty. It's just the right thing to do....if you bought mail order or don't remember who your dealer is just call 800-956-5695 and ask. People need to know this.

I had them on three different engines maybe 5 years ago. All three, after about 3 years started to decompose form the heat and/or washing. Washed in dishwater detergent. Also, one really stretched out as well.

The real killer though, when I went back to OEM paper filters the oil analysis did not change or may have improved slightly (silicon level) over the Amsoil. The foam is just not worth the hassle IMO.

I too had problems using them on 2 vehicles. In a short time, the material began to decompose. I was concerned about where that material was going! Followed their cleaning procedure to a tee, yet Amsoil was reluctant to replace it. That experience and info on this board caused me to change my opinion of the company. I use paper only filters now; much less hassle, probably less costly, and no plastic in the intake system.

No one posts what their dealers say...oh well....the dealer is your advocate, your spokesmouth back up the food chain. I read the complaints, I see foul opinions being formed...I just want to make it clear that if any of my customers have any issues with any products - I'll be barking and biting all the way up to Al to get full satisfaction.

I wonder if there was a bad batch of foam or something.....I want to see a degraded filter.

Pablo,

I'm just stating the facts as I saw them. A customer with a defective product wants action. When I spoke to the technical rep in Superior after they received my filter, he accused me of improper cleaning. Again, I followed the instructions to a tee as to the procedure. When my integrity is challanged, I go on the defensive.

My experience in retail tells me the "customer is right". I have very few problems returning merchandise that is defective or does not meet its stated quality from most retailers. In the end, Amsoil finally replaced it, but not without a fight or a hassle. For a piece of foam that probably cost Amsoil 50 cents, they should have replaced it "no questions asked"! Although Amsoil may have some good products, this experience soured my opinion of them.

Hapuna

In the end, they did replace it, but not without a fight.

I'm not sure if its degraded or just poor quality assurance because the ones I have are not put together all that well. I have some good news thought, I called amsoil's tech line and talked to some one and they said they were going to ship it out and I should have some new ones in a couple of days. I am also a dealer though. Maybe that has something to do with the good customer service.

I have not had problems with them falling apart but with the oil seeping out of them. These are before I even had a chance to clean them. In one instance I thought the engine oil cooler was leaking on my truck but as the GMC dealer found out, it was the filter seeping oil, leaking out the bottom of the air box on my 2001 GMC and being blown back driving. They sent me an new one no questions asked. I was told the soak them in oil at the filter plant in Superior, Wis and then run them thru a wringer. The panel filters with steel mesh inside them makes is harder to reduce the oil and that what happened to the one in my 2001 GMC and 2002 Pontiac. Made a big mess. I have had one in my 1993 Lumina Sedan (grocery getter) since new and it has only been cleaned once in 63,000 miles. Looks brand new.

So it hard to understand them falling apart. I have used them for over 20 yrs and never seen one fall apart??

I agree, they should just send a new filter and never mind arguing about it. Trouble with talking with experts.

I understand in talking with one of their big jobbers that they recently hired an expert filter engineer to oversee and to improve their product.

[ May 20, 2003, 12:49 PM: Message edited by: Mike ]

well I got some good news, I contacted amsoil tech line and they sent out 2 new ones the next day and I received them 2 days later. I was really surprised on the customer service. No questions asked, they just sent them out(didn't even look at them).

hope that helps

Question: Do your filters always drip like that? I've always been told full-depth, foam filters require a small amount of oil to achieve max efficiency. I've used full-depth, foam filters for over 10 years now, on four different autos and only once have I experienced degradation of the foam and that was on a 1990 Toyota 4x4 at 187,000 (still have copies of the original service records I personally kept on this vehicle); I was well pleased to have gotten that many miles out of a single air filter and I clean it every 3 mths. The vehicle had 349,000 miles when I sold it.

I had 2 Amsoil foam filters in a 1988 Camry rot out they lasted 13 years I sent them in and a couple of weeks later new ones arrived.I still have then Any one need them? new in packages. I'll send them to you if you send me the mailing cost back.

The very nature of foam is that it can stretch over time, also one backfire and the foam will melt like the dickens. Foam also tends to break down over time as well. The foam filters we use for our air filters, A/C units, HVAC units, etc... are washable but after 3-5 years or so they just tear apart.
frown.gif

We switched over to paper filters and just toss em after awhile.

I use Accel Kool Blues (basically blue K&Ns) on my vehicles and will run an oil analysis in about 6-8 months.
I can tell you right now the K&N style filters WILL catch a LOT of dirt. Its not like all of the dirt flies through the cotton gauze, I have about 1/8" thick layer of dirt on my Kool Blues right now.

[ June 25, 2003, 11:39 AM: Message edited by: metroplex ]

Do you have anyway of testing the air flow on that filter with the 1/8" of thick dirt on it? Plz, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that all paper filters(high or low quality) and dirty foam or gauze filters filter at their highest efficiency when they are dirty - does anyone disagree with this and if so, why ? Man it was a beautiful weekend at the motox track in Hot Springs, AR this weekend; hope you all had a good weekend too! Thanks.

Amsoil is coming out with newly designed line of Air Filters, called "FlowZair". Here is a scan of the brochure they just handed out yesterday.

-

-

[ July 19, 2003, 11:34 AM: Message edited by: Mike ]

quote:

Originally posted by Problem Solver:
Do you have anyway of testing the air flow on that filter with the 1/8" of thick dirt on it? Plz, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that all paper filters(high or low quality) and dirty foam or gauze filters filter at their highest efficiency when they are dirty - does anyone disagree with this and if so, why ? Man it was a beautiful weekend at the motox track in Hot Springs, AR this weekend; hope you all had a good weekend too! Thanks.

Efficiency relates to how much dirt they catch, not how much air they flow. Sure, when they're coated with dirt they'll catch more dirt, but they can't flow air as well.

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back