Amsoil SSO VS Redline 5w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread was not created to start any discussion about wax being in, or not being in synthetic or dino oils. =l

On a "back to subject matter" note, Pablo made an interesting suggestion and I'll probably do that.

Should I be concerned running a 0w-30 in a turbocharged application?

Quote:

laugh.gif
True, synthetics do not contain wax. I didn't claim that they did. Please list the 'dino' oils that do contain wax along with their MSDS as you indirectly said they all do.

If you knew how the make made "dino" oil you would know that the fractioning process leaves wax in the oil. That is why "dino" oils need additives like pour point depressants to stop the wax from solidifying.

I assumed he was referring to the Pennzoil (quaker state, etc.) wax & sludge myth from the '70s that keeps getting spouted. Sorry about that XPR. I pulled the trigger too soon on you there.

Originally Posted By: [RT
ProjUltraZ]i thought PP, a highly refined Group III, had no wax

I think very little rather than no wax.

Originally Posted By: XPR
Quote:
I would say most people don't need syn oil . And many spend lots of money on syn oil and change it at 5,000 mile intervals and are getting close to exactly the same wear results as any off the shelf dino oil. Now there are some people who run syn oil and take advantage of the long life possibilities of the oil. For some reason syn oil doesn't always last the 25,000 + miles ,but I guess lots of freeway miles is the trick.

I disagree, synthetic oil flows at much lower temps and doesn't burn off like dino oil. Synthetic oils contain no wax so they don't form sludge. Synthetic oils are also more shear stable... I could go on and on why they are better. I guess people like to cheap out on things like oil and taking care of their cars.

How is it cheaping out on the oil and taking care of our cars when some people do not need to run synthetics? So I am not taking care of my car by going by the warranty and changing my oil at 5K intervals like I am supossed to? I dont run syn because I am doing 5K intervals, it would be a waste to run syn for 5K intervals imo, do you not agree?
-I drive 62 miles round trip everyday to work, with 55 of those miles on the highway with the cruise set at 70mph. I am easy on the oil. Do I need to use synthetic for this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back