Amsoil SSO Toyota Tundra 5.7L --11 mos/ 8400 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
95% of the miles are towing my 8000lb 5th wheel, and/or our 4-horse trailer. I put 8400k miles on the oil in 11 months, and i also replaced the oem filter twice during this OCI.

I don't know how to post the actual report, but i'll list the metals individually.

OAI in SLC, Utah did the report.

Data indicates no abnormal findings. Resample at normal interval; Oil is suitable for continued use.

*********Wear metals ppm*
IRON--12
CHROMIUM--0
NICKEL--0
ALUMINUM--3
COPPER--4
LEAD--0
TIN--0
CADMIUM--0
SILVER--0
TITANIUM--0
VANADIUM--0

*********Contaminant metals--ppm**
SILICON--14------This is high due to use of oiled TRD filter.
SODIUM--10
POTASSIUM--0

*********Multi source metals ppm**
MOLYBDENUM--10
ANTIMONY--0
MANGANESE--0
LITHIUM--0
BORON--22---SSO have boron in it, or is this due to 1/2 quart ASL topoff at filter change?

********Additive metals ppm*
MAGNESIUM--13
CALCIUM--3558
BARIUM--0
PHOSPHOROUS--583
ZINC--676

DATE sampled--7/18/10
Date received--7/27/10
Unit time--11 months
Lube time--8400 miles
Lube change--yes
Filter change--yes
FUEL--less than .1%
SOOT--less than .1%
WATER--less than .1%
VIS @ 100.C--10.4--Spot on virgin which is 10.3
TAN---not listed
TBN--4.96
I-R OXIDA--41---A little high?
I-R NITRA--22

My total miles on the truck are 36k.

I am not so dissapointed in the UOA after using this high end oil. However, the truck is a little noisy on the lower visc. oils for some reason. I just replaced this oil and filter using HDD 5w30 and TRD filter, even though toyota recomends a 0w20 or 5w/20 for this motor. We'll see how this run of the 30w goes next year. So far, it's much quieter.

Please comment.........

Thanks

Looks very good. I've heard some people go beyond one year if the Tbn is still that good. Pablo/Gary, is it safe to run this oil past 12 months if it's in that good of condition?

Here is my first UOA on the truck with ASM & only 6k miles on the truck, so you can compare.

Looks like silicon, iron and Oxidation are the only metals that went up. Copper is now cut in half to 4, and aluminum did go up a point.

Should i worry about the Ox numbers at 41?

Anybody think the HDD will look any better next interval; or is there really no need for improvement?

Data flagged for observation only; Total Base Number is MODERATELY LOW.

*********Wear metals ppm*
IRON--11
CHROMIUM--0
NICKEL--1
ALUMINUM--4
COPPER--8---This could be due to the oil cooler.??
LEAD--0
TIN--0
CADMIUM--0
SILVER--0
TITANIUM--0
VANADIUM--0

*********Contaminant metals--ppm**
SILICON--11------This is high due to use of oiled TRD filter.
SODIUM--5
POTASSIUM--1

*********Multi source metals ppm**
MOLYBDENUM--5
ANTIMONY--0
MANGANESE--0
LITHIUM--0
BORON--6

********Additive metals ppm*
MAGNESIUM--12
CALCIUM--2992
BARIUM--1
PHOSPHOROUS--593
ZINC--707

DATE sampled--8/22/08
Date received--9/18/08---USPS took too long.
Unit time--4 months
Lube time--6k miles
Lube change--no
Filter change--no
FUEL--less than .5%
SOOT--less than .1%
WATER--less than .1%
VIS @ 100.C--9.1
TAN---not listed
TBN--3.72--------This oil is 75% used up at 6k miles.??
I-R OXIDA--35
I-R NITRA--18

Last edited:
Thanks for the comment buster; much appreciated.

I won't go past 1 year with any oil in this truck. Used mainly for towing, and as you can see i usually change it a month early.

What a stout oil that is. Plus the toyota engine also helps. With that type of use you made the correct choice of oil. Paying a bit extra when you need a top notch synthetic really shows here.

2 oil filters in 8400 miles. Not 3.

They were the OEM cannister type elements.

I've got the TRD in there now, of which i plan to run the full interval.

My bad; it does kind of sound like i used 3 filters. Original post says i changed the filter twice.

One time at time of change, and another midway thru.

I don't know if it's as good as the EAO or the mobil one, but they claim it to be quite efficient.

I'm excited to see the results next year on the HDD myself. I'm trying to get some comparisons on different oils, to see which one will perform the best for my particular use. While i'm quite pleased with this UOA, i am not 100% sold on the SSO regarding engine noise; of which lighter weight oils tend to cause this.

I've been sold on ASL, and now HDD for noise reduction. Unfortunately i don't have a UOA on ASL yet, but my dad's running it in his tundra and we'll test it next year to see how it does.

Not sure about the oxidation number. It would normally be regarded as high. TAN would have been a nice number to see. Given the TBN I doubt that it was all that high.

It did a good job under stressful conditions.

Originally Posted By: 3Toyotas

DATE sampled--8/22/08
Date received--9/18/08---USPS took too long.
Unit time--4 months
Lube time--6k miles
Lube change--no
Filter change--no
FUEL--less than .5%
SOOT--less than .1%
WATER--less than .1%
VIS @ 100.C--9.1
TAN---not listed
TBN--3.72--------This oil is 75% used up at 6k miles.??
I-R OXIDA--35
I-R NITRA--18

I have had many UOAs done where they say they did the analysis on a certain date but I will not get sent the report for a month after.

That's a new one. I think that B-S forgot to send me mine via email once. I figured that the postal fairy snagged another one for quarantine ..and didn't do an inquiry for about a month. They said that they had sent it weeks earlier. I might have deleted it by accident, but it would have been unusual for me to do so.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Not sure about the oxidation number. It would normally be regarded as high. TAN would have been a nice number to see. Given the TBN I doubt that it was all that high.

It did a good job under stressful conditions.

What is oxidation, and why is it important to keep below a certain number?

What is Nitra?

Can a different oil (HDD) maybe lower this number?

Actually, i was a little pleased with the report really.

I don't quite understand why OAI doesn't elaborate much in their comments like blackstone does.

Gary/Pablo..............why is that?

Would a different OAI lab do things differently? Maybe better?

This lab was SLC, UT.

Originally Posted By: 3Toyotas
I don't quite understand why OAI doesn't elaborate much in their comments like blackstone does.

Gary/Pablo..............why is that?

Would a different OAI lab do things differently? Maybe better?

This lab was SLC, UT.

How much silicone comes native with SSO?

Blackstone does add their personal touch - but I find it bothersome, and often just opinion based. Seems to be improving, but really a little time here and the commentary from B/S is just side chatter.

Blackstone is not an accredited lab. Sometimes their numbers are wrong - sometimes right.

Native silicon in SSO runs 8-15 ppm - not silicone.

According to my UOA from different vehicles running both filters, the TRD is definately better. This UOA shows a silicon level of 14 ( 8-15 native ) with 8400 miles, while my 4runner running the K&N had 30 SI with 9200 miles on ASL.

I'm not argueing the fact there's better filtration out there, i'm just leaning towards the TRD being better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back