Amsoil SSO to XL??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, new guy here and my first post. Got a question I want to get some thoughts on and make an educated decision about, hopefully I don't stir the pot too bad;-) I've done plenty of searching and reading, but still want to run this by ya, so here goes...

Got a 2002 F150 5.4L with 115,000 miles on it. Runs perfect. Been running Amsoil SSO 0W30 for about the past 60-70K miles. My motor has the notorious piston slap noise with no issues all it's life, but as I started typing this thread I do recall when I switched to the SSO, the noise was louder/more pronounced on that first start up. But, over the past few years, I've either disregarded it or gotten used to it. (BTW, the piston slap is not part of my question, just threw it in there for FYI)

Lately I've been reading up on the XL, especially with the new formula and this has gotten me to thinking (and rightfully admit like most, overthinking) about switching to the XL 5W30. The biggest factor driving my thoughts to switch is the simple fact that for me, I do about 10K a year give or take. So I end up changing at 10K intervals anyways, which the new XL fits the bill on. And it would save a small bit of money in the process, but that's not a huge factor for me.

So after all that, my real question are...

Are there any drawbacks to switching to the XL this late in the game? Or should I also ask, are there any benefits to switching to the XL???

To add insult to injury, I've also been reading up on the 0W vs 5W debate out there. So as a separate question aside from the SSO vs XL question, are there drawbacks to switching from a 0W to a 5W? And like before, is there a chance there are any hidden benefits or pro's from switching to a 5W??

Removing money from the equation, would you stick with the SSO even at 1 yr/10K OCI's?

Thanks guys...like I said, just trying to get some thoughts and make an educated decision. Feel free to talk me into switching or staying either one.

welcome2.gif

If I can get SSO and the Amsoil 100% synthetic line for the same price as XL, I'd get the former. Why not change to another weight within the 100% synthetic line?

If you're going to go with 10k mile OCIs, then I would use ASL, not the XL series. ASL is one of the best 5W-30 oils made by anyone, an absolutely great oil IMO. It would save you some money over the SSO, and you would still be using a true syn oil.

You will have no problems switching to a 5W oil.

Keep up with the SSO, you are pushing the XL to its outer limits w/10K changes. I know thats how far Amsoil says it can go, but I would do 7500mi. max on it. That is purely my opinion though. If the savings are not that big, stick with the SSO. A 0W will get the oil flowing through the engine more quickly on a cold start. 5w is a little slower but still adequate for 99.99% of Contiguous US. winter storms. There is no particular benefit of a 5w over a 0w other than maybe some more PPD's in the 0w formula, don't worry about that.

I'm not looking to change weight, nor am I specifically looking to change to a 5W30 (from a 0W) for any reason. My questions are strictly regarding any benefit of going to the XL because of my current driving habits. As an example, if they had a 0W30 XL, my question would have been in regards to swapping to that.

To me, there's no reason what so ever to swap to the ASL from a SSO...I'll just stick with the SSO. No gain there. Also not looking to switch to a xW20 for any reason.

Well you said not to consider money and money is the only realistic reason to switch to XL. XL has the API approvals if that really matters to you but I would put having a good oil over that as a priority and chose the SSO

I'd just stick with the SSO.

Money isn't an issue, and you've been using the SSO for a while, and have been getting good serive from it, so why change?

Yea, I think I'll just stick with it. Especially if there's no reason and/or benefit to changing. Like you said, seems the only benefit in this case is the money.

My biggest reason for asking this question in the first place was maybe picking up something I didn't know about the XL, but wanted to learn...but I don't know what that something is. From talking to most around my gearhead circle of friends, the XL seems to be a very underestimated and overlook Amsoil product and oil in general when compared to the popular mainstream oils and it has me intrigued.

So what is the target person and how do they use the XL?

Regardless of my first question or reason for starting this thread, would there ever be a benefit or better scenario to use the 5W30 XL over the SSO?

Thanks guys.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: galaxy
Yea, I think I'll just stick with it. Especially if there's no reason and/or benefit to changing. Like you said, seems the only benefit in this case is the money.

My biggest reason for asking this question in the first place was maybe picking up something I didn't know about the XL, but wanted to learn...but I don't know what that something is. From talking to most around my gearhead circle of friends, the XL seems to be a very underestimated and overlook Amsoil product and oil in general when compared to the popular mainstream oils and it has me intrigued.

So what is the target person and how do they use the XL?

Regardless of my first question or reason for starting this thread, would there ever be a benefit or better scenario to use the 5W30 XL over the SSO?

Thanks guys.

I think there are two purposes
1. Is a money factor. XL is a savings over SSO/ASL. The quality of Amsoil products are proven (I'm using XL right now).

2. Would be that some people really want to have the Starburst and Donut for warranty reasons. XL has these and SSO/ASL do not. Although it is implied the quality of those oils are greater than XL. Some people worry about their warranties and that is completely understandable. (one of the reasons I use it too)

You will have to ask
Gary or Pablo, but I think if you have the oil analyzed....Use the oil and air filters they sell....Amsoil may authorize you to keep going and keep the warranty intact? At least it was that way back when?

How do ratings factor into this...i.e. SSO, ASL, ASM are not SN or GL5 where as the XL's and now the OE oils are? I know the PAO oils like the SSO are superior and may very well meet those specs, but just aren't listed, correct?

I'm quite certain this is not a factor in my 2002, but if I were to pick up a new truck this year, wouldn't it most likely require a SN and/or GL5 oil? Should I consider this for reasons other than warranty?

On a side note...where do you locate the oil requirements anyways?? I looked in the owners manual and it says a product meeting for specs "bla bla bla", but doesn't specifically list a SM or other requirement that I can find.

Last edited:
The high-end Amsoils' - SSO, ASL, ATM, ASM, like you said, aren't actually certified to API specs. Amsoil does it's own in-house testing to confirm there oil exceed all these specs, but they don't pay the licencing fees.

The XL, and now OE oils ARE licenced to API and ILSAC specs...so yeah, on a new vehicle, you will most likely want to use to XL/OE oils to avoid hassle. On an '02, use what you want!

Good
- OE Oils for OEM drain intervals

Better
- XL Oils up to 10,000+ miles or 6 months

Best
- ASL, ASM ATM, up to 25,000 miles or 1 yr
100% PAO Base Oil Gr. IV

Top Shelf
- SSO up to 35,000 miles or 1 yr
100% PAO Base Oil Gr. IV

Status
Not open for further replies.