AMSOIL SSO any review after 5k / 10k/ 15k ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: OriginHacker21
Well, I changed my oil last Saturday. Sent in the UOA UPS 2 day air. (Hey, I'm a BITOG'er). Should get the UOA later today.

I'm looking forward to it :).

Cool. I bet it won't look much different than your other UOA's though. That Ecotec engine is a lot like mine, consistantly shows great reports on multiple oils.
11.gif

I have about 5500 Kilometers on my run. It hasn't gotten black yet, just that beautiful engine chocolate!!! I will have to drop mine in about 2000 Kilometers, to stay within my warranty spec of 8000 kilometers/5000 miles.

I like the oil, very good stuff, but I think I will have to change to ASL 5W-30 to justify the swap at 8000 kilometers.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
Harry I would guess the tbn will level out .

I am about due for a SSO change, it will be interesting to see how the TBN fares this time. It was the first SSO change after using the TSO for over 120,000 miles, the engine may just have to get used to the new formula.

Harry

I agree that for an oil that is supposed to last 35k miles under your driving conditions (all highway), a TBN that low at 7700 or so miles is worrying..but maybe it levels off there forever...

It funny you said it feels like 0W-20 is on there, as it sheared to within a hair of a 20-weight, so in a way, you are!

:p

Originally Posted By: addyguy
I agree that for an oil that is supposed to last 35k miles under your driving conditions (all highway), a TBN that low at 7700 or so miles is worrying..but maybe it levels off there forever...

It funny you said it feels like 0W-20 is on there, as it sheared to within a hair of a 20-weight, so in a way, you are!

:p
Up to 35,000 miles , allows Amsoil some wiggle room. Some uoa's look great and some are not so great. Different engines do different things to the oil .Even the same engines do different things.

SSO is actually pretty good stuff, very versatile at both low and high temperatures, Noack Volatility turned out quite well on the test results as well, one thing i really appreciate about AMSOIL is that all of the oils go through a really stringent test period, running the oils in various vehicles before they are even announced to the dealers/direct jobbers let alone the public.

I'm now adding SSO to the Ranger's fuel.Just one quarter oz. to 10 gallons of regular.Those top piston rings never had it so good.

Originally Posted By: carman594
How does SSO compare to GC?

SSO is designed to meet API SM and ILSAC GF-4 specifications; GC meets API SL. This means SSO is formulated to be friendlier to sensitive emissions systems, whereas GC may have higher levels of certain anti-wear and cleaning additives (which may or may not be important to your particular car).

SSO is designed to meet ACEA A5, whereas GC meets ACEA A3. This means SSO has a lower HTHS viscosity, which means it is a bit thinner in severe conditions but may improve fuel economy as a result.

GC is explicitly approved by third parties, including vehicle manufacturers. SSO is designed to meet many third-party specs but isn't actually approved. That doesn't mean Amsoil is lying to you, but it may have implications if your vehicle is still under warranty.

This isn't an exhaustive list, mind you. It's just what I can tell from publicly verifiable info.

So basically they're very similar?

SSO is significantly thinner and lower HTHS than GC. That's neither good nor bad but it needs to be suitable for your vehicle. SSO is not suitable for euro engines calling for ACEA A3 - GC is the only 0W30 which meets ACEA A3.

So basically they're very similar?

Their only apparent similarity is that they are both 0w-30.

Beyond that and what has been posted, no one knows but Amsoil and Castrol.

For what its worth.. here is my analysis after 25K.
High silicon levels may mean I need a better oil filter I don't know?.... my air filter is fine to my knowledge.

The only problem I saw was during the 25K I had to add about a quart to keep full, but this may be true with "any" oil at those mileages?

Thought I would ask you guys since your the experts!

2010_Prius25Kmileageanalysiseditedinfoout-1.jpg

THE SSO THREAD IS ALIIIIVE!!
banana2.gif

Seriously--

Background:

My Buick has had SSO for the past 2 years and three weeks/47K mi with a brief (10K) run on 5W-30 M1 EP (which I did not like due to noise on startup and general rattley-ness).

Filters

I have used the SSO with filters

Fleetguard FL3554
Mobil1 M1-201
PureOne PL24011
Amsoil EaO23

and found the FL3554 and the EaO23 to be the best in terms of consistent oil pressure during all vehicle operation and over the long term (>10K mi).

Currently:

Currently I am running SSO and EaO23, with ~15K into the OCI and ~4qts added (valve stem seals get pretty weepy in summer driving).

General Observations:

SSO and the EaO23 have been delivering VERY consistent low starting efforts/fast cranking throughout the duration of the OCI's and across all temperatures (a little slower at -15F than at +95F, however).

Thanks to its loose-fit design and weepy valve stem seals, my Buick 3800 engine is a soot-maker. With the SSO, color and translucence hits a threshold at 5-6K, it seems(with little-to-no make-up oil), and does not appear to become any darker in color (dark amber) or sooty enough to become noticably opaque (I can see through the holes in the dipstick).

Notes on a Soot-Maker that Needs Make-Up Oil:

The Buick uses oil, but I don't think that the make-up oil adds up to "less-stressful" OCI's. The oil that is consumed is burned, and the by-products go out the tailpipe or into the remaining crankcase oil. While make-up oil adds detergents and ups TBN, the soot-maker has higher demand for detergents and TBN, and the soot is stored in a dwindling volume of oil between adds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back