Amsoil SSO 5w50

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm using the 0w30 from their same series. It's an excellent oil and holds up well so I suspect the 5w50 will do the same as the additive package is the same being in the Signature Series line.
They have just modified the base stock composition and VII's where needed to achieve the 5w50 ratings. It has a great Noack for such a spread as 5w and 50.

Post a follow-up if you decide on it.
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
Pretty pricey. And extremely thick (HTHS 4.45, KV@100C 19.4, KV@40C 119.5). Don't try using this in PA Winters! It wouldn't be my first (or last) choice.

Originally Posted by ka9mnx
Pretty pricey. And extremely thick (HTHS 4.45, KV@100C 19.4, KV@40C 119.5). Don't try using this in PA Winters! It wouldn't be my first (or last) choice.

I'd try it, as long as the expected ambient temperature is not lower than what is appropriate for an oil with a 5W rating. Or are you saying it doesn't achieve that rating?

With a KV@40C of 119.5 that's pretty thick for an oil at 100F. I consider 70 to 80 thick. Pour point is not a spec and has nothing to do with Winter starting. Pour point shows how long it will take to refill your engine after an oil change at minus temperatures. Pour point was a spec back in the day and was replaced by CCS viscosity. It might start ok in PA winters but I believe the engine will always feel sluggish and fuel economy would take a huge hit. CCS at 5108 (-30C) is fairly thick.

Originally Posted by StevieC
I'm using the 0w30 from their same series. It's an excellent oil and holds up well so I suspect the 5w50 will do the same as the additive package is the same being in the Signature Series line.
They have just modified the base stock composition and VII's where needed to achieve the 5w50 ratings. It has a great Noack for such a spread as 5w and 50.

Believe me, they use PLENTY to get 186 VI...Harman Index of 75% guarantees this is the case, as does Mobil's blend guide.

OP, 5W50 isn't a very efficient way of getting an HTHS of 4.45

eg their premium protection 10W40
https://www.amsoil.com/lit/databulletins/g2212.pdf
is 4.3...
Redline's 5W40
https://www.redlineoil.com/5w40-motor-oil
is 4.4

HTHS is what protects bearings, and wide spread 50s give you the HTHS of a decent 40 grade, with more plastic VII that has the potential to shear and cause deposits.

If yo are going to track it, pick something more robust with a smaller spread.

The AMSOIL is 100% synthetic, the Red Line is Full Synthetic. Full synthetic oil is a marketing term that in no way defines the quantity of synthetic content.

When you see the words 100% Synthetic on a bottle, such as in AMSOIL Signature Series, that means that EVERY SINGLE DROP of oil in your bottle is a synthetically produced compound, mixed with fully synthetic additives.

Originally Posted by Mike_dup1
The AMSOIL is 100% synthetic, the Red Line is Full Synthetic. Full synthetic oil is a marketing term that in no way defines the quantity of synthetic content.

When you see the words 100% Synthetic on a bottle, such as in AMSOIL Signature Series, that means that EVERY SINGLE DROP of oil in your bottle is a synthetically produced compound, mixed with fully synthetic additives.

Color me doubtful.

Haters gonna hate, every Amsoil thread is the same.
smirk2.gif

labellers are gonna label to avoid engaging in anything other than fanboi worshipping...that's that Galileo fallacy showing again
smirk.gif
smirk.gif
smirk.gif

As to fanboi reaction every time the name pops up...it's great that you are aware of it...now you can work on it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Shannow
smirk2.gif

labellers are gonna label to avoid engaging in anything other than fanboi worshipping...that's that Galileo fallacy showing again
smirk.gif
smirk.gif
smirk.gif

As to fanboi reaction every time the name pops up...it's great that you are aware of it...now you can work on it.

#Hater right here.
lol.gif

Last edited:
smirk2.gif

Every aMsOiL thread is the same. Sing its praises, suckle the marketing teat, or get labeled a "hater." Get real.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW
smirk2.gif

Every aMsOiL thread is the same. Sing its praises, suckle the marketing teat, or get labeled a "hater." Get real.

People haven't even used it and they sit their and trash it because of > and I'm the one that needs to get real"? Ok
33.gif

Last edited:

People haven't even used it and they sit their and trash it because of > and I'm the one that needs to get real"? Ok
33.gif

Please identify my "trashing it"...I provided some commentary the viscometrics of the oil...would you care to refute my statements, using something that resembles scientific/engineering discourse ?

Who hasn't used it? I have. Was I supposed to notice something amazing? It's just oil.

No one has "trashed" anything - I just don't believe the 100% "synthetic" marketing mumbo-jumbo.

Originally Posted by Shannow

33.gif

Please identify my "trashing it"...I provided some commentary the viscometrics of the oil...would you care to refute my statements, using something that resembles scientific/engineering discourse ?

Where were you mentioned? You are proving my point about needing to jump on anything I say.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW
Who hasn't used it? I have. Was I supposed to notice something amazing? It's just oil.

No one has "trashed" anything - I just don't believe the 100% "synthetic" marketing mumbo-jumbo.

Just oil? You are on the wrong site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back