Status
Not open for further replies.
Blackstone Laboratories

Report Date: 8/3/2009
Make/Model: GM 2.2L EcoTec
Additional Info: 2004 Pontiac Sunfire

Oil Type & Grade: Amsoil 0W/30
Oil Use Interval: 10,918 Miles
Additional Info: Wix oil filter (Made in South Korea).

Comments: You ran 10,918 miles on this fill of oil, and wear still looks great! Iron increased but this was expected with the longer oil run. Iron is the one wear metal that tends to track with miles on the oil (more miles = more iron). As long as all other wear stays low, which it did, we don't get too worried about high iron. We see nothing in this data that would prevent you from running your next oil longer. Try 12,000 miles next time. The TBN read 4.2, which still shows you had enough active additive left to have been run longer. No moisture, fuel, or antifreeze found.

MI/HR on Oil: 10,918
MI/HR on Unit: 165,967
Sample Date: 07/10/09
Make Up Oil Added: .5qt.

Universal Averages in Parenthesis

Aluminum-----3 (2)
Chromium-----1 (0)
Iron---------12 (9)
Copper-------3 (2)
Lead---------0 (0)
Tin----------0 (1)
Molybdenum---6 (54)
Nickel-------1 (0)
Manganese----0 (0)
Silver-------0 (0)
Titanium-----0 (0)
Potassium----6 (2)
Boron-------19 (49)
Silicon------6 (6)
Sodium------11 (18)
Calcium---3376 (2360)
Magnesium---11 (107)
Phosphorus-559 (700)
Zinc-------670 (840)
Barium-------0 (0)

Sus Viscosity at 210F----59.7 (55-67)
cSt Viscosity at 100C----10.14 (8.8-12.4)
Flashpoint in F----------420 (>375)
Fuel Percentage--------- Antifreeze Percentage----0.0 (0.0)
Water Percentage---------0.0 (0.0)
Insolubles---------------0.3 (
TBN----------------------4.2

My comments: Great oil, definitely thicker than the XL 5w20 I have in now. I added .5 qts as makeup oil but really I didn't need to add any (actually put me .5qts overfull). Oil didn't get light brown till 5,000 miles. It got dark syrup colored at 7,000 miles and it was pretty dark at 10,000 miles.

Comments/Questions/Suggestions/Anything Welcomed!

Forgot to mention driving conditions...

In the morning I take a freeway go up the hill (30mins at 75mph) to a 2 lane flat highway (1 hour at 60mph - usually much faster) to work - 90 miles 1 way. In the afternoon I go home the same way - 90 miles - except it takes 2 hours because of traffic. 180 miles/day. I am pretty hard on it going up the hill (30 mins of 90%+ engine load with some WOT - Scanguage) however much easier on way home (AC on - very light on engine load). Average about 2.7 gallons to work and 2.5 gallons home. Drive with 1 passenger.

Is this the same guy who wouldn't go past 5k when he first started on Amsoil!!??
grin2.gif

Nice report, TBN still looks strong.

Are you going to try 12k next??

I always get nervous when I see potassium ..but over this span of miles ..
21.gif

I didn't see what the UA was based on in mileage.
How long was this in service?

Not much to comment on otherwise. Great report!

Garry - Oil was put in on 3/27/09 and dumped on 7/10/09. I don't drive every day - sometimes take co-workers cars or stay overnight.

BR549 - Yeah, I changed GC gold 0w30 on a 2,000 mile basis. Once I got to Amsoil couldn't get past 5k. This is the first time my car has seen oil for more than 7k (10k is a record).

I put some Amsoil XL 5w20 I had left over from last year in. But yeah, I plan 15k next on SSO.

Any improvements over the XL? Seems like Tbn is higher. Nice oil and nice wearing engine.

These EcoTec engines are like the old I4 2200's,very easy on oil run forever on cooking oil or any oil.

Now I know the end times are upon us.

OriginHacker21 went over 10k on an oil change.

I'll be in my shelter if I'm needed.

...seriously, though, looks great. Si is very low for the miles, visc. is good, and TBN says it could have done the 15k you are planning easily.

Glad to see you are getting a 'bit' of a break from your driving routine!

Nice report. That type of driving (mileage wise) is the best for motor/tranny/oil.

I will be submitting a sample of ASM 0W20 with a year on it, but unfortuantely it wont be a high mileage one, lucky if I will have 5K on it.

15k would be a cakewalk on this engine, that oil, and your driving habits. Even though you say you are driving "hard" up the hill for that period of time, your oil doesn't show any effects. It's strongly in the mid-range of a 30 weight, great flashpoint, and wear metals are very low for the engine/mileage.

Almost no add-oil to shows me you've got good sealing and aren't being THAT hard on the engine.

Go for 15k or go home :)

Joe

P.s. My civic SI just completed 16.3k on SSO, but included 2.5 quarts of make-up. I probably drive alot harder than you (just guessing because of my car and driving style). My final TBN was, IIRC, 2.6.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
Is this what Amsoil is about!!!

Originally Posted By: daman
These EcoTec engines are like the old I4 2200's,very easy on oil run forever on cooking oil or any oil.

You guys crack me up....if Amsoil does good in a UOA, the engine is easy on the oil. If Amsoil doesn't look so hot from your POV, the oil is [censored].

Pure humor.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
You guys crack me up....if Amsoil does good in a UOA, the engine is easy on the oil. If Amsoil doesn't look so hot from your POV, the oil is [censored].

Pure humor.

Pabs i have 15 gals of Amsoil in my stash man, i use the stuff,its a fact that these GM I4 engines are easy on oil, any oil.

no humor about it

I'm not picking on you, nor am I saying this engine isn't "easy on the oil".....I'm just making a general comment. I doubt we would have seen this comment with many other oils, that's all. Let's say PP was the oil in this UOA....

Pure humor.

I don't think so Pablo. Go back and look at all EcoTec engine UOA's.

I'd go 20k here with this engine/oil combo. It's a great oil/engine combination.

Originally Posted By: buster

Pure humor.

I don't think so Pablo. Go back and look at all EcoTec engine UOA's.

I'd go 20k here with this engine/oil combo.

That is NOT what I'm saying. This engine probably is easy on the oil. See my last post.

I'm not going to search this forum. Maybe you can make it work. Post all the 10K+ UOA's on EcoTec engines in the last 3 years.

I'm not picking on you, nor am I saying this engine isn't "easy on the oil".....I'm just making a general comment. I doubt we would have seen this comment with many other oils, that's all. Let's say PP was the oil in this UOA....

alright that's fine then, no problem here, not picking on Amsoil either like i said i like the stuff use a good amount of it.

hes got a great uoa he shoould keep doing what he's doing for sure.

I wasn't either. Amsoil SSO is the BEST long drain oil out there IMO. Same will apply when I sample my M1 10k mile run. The Honda 2.4L is just easy on oil, period. That was my point.

OH, 20k is definitely doable using the SSO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back