Amsoil SSO 0w-30 -- Pontiac Solstice GXP -- 10,284

Status
Not open for further replies.
After continuing to see extended UOAs on non-turbo motors with equal or lesser results, I'm pretty happy with my results.

I'll probably end up getting a pump and extracting a sample around 12k-15k or so and seeing if I feel like pushing 20 or not.
That is, if the winter doesn't hamper the OCI.

NICE!!
thumbsup2.gif

It seems a lot of folks have been "easing" onto extended intervals, but I'm thinking since I received good feedback that I'm fine to increase as desired/possible.

I'm thinking I may run to 0%, reset, then run to 50% this time, if I don't pump out UOAs in a few interim mileages. With over half the TBN present, among other results, I'd imagine, all things constant or about the same, I should be in plenty good shape to run at least that long.
Changing the filter every 3k probably helps too, but that's my personal choice.

Changed the oil filter after about 3,700 yesterday. Filter wasn't warped and looked pretty decent, so everything should be going smoothly...

Nice report. Changing that filter out early is a smart move, and IMO a big help in keeping those wear metals down.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Nice report. Changing that filter out early is a smart move, and IMO a big help in keeping those wear metals down.

I appreciate the feedback.
I've determined that with a cartridge that literally takes less than 5 minutes to swap out, with just the hood open...why not?
Like I've said, I really don't think the amount of media is comparable to a canister that I would leave on for a full OCI. So better safe than sorry I suppose.

Smart, safe, and good insurance in my opinion. Filters are cheap engines aren't. There have been issues with smaller filters, it seems they can be the weak link in the extended drain chain. So much so that TSBs are being issued for certain filters in certain applications. You are totally safe with your approach should they find your engine could have issues with filters used for extended drains. The oil certainly held up fine.

Just finished my second full SSO oil change.
Ran it almost 17k this time, so I'll be interested to see what the UOA says.

FYI - The last time I checked the oil level at around 15k+ I was still above "full". No makeup oil used whatsoever this time around as well.

Originally Posted By: BeanCounter

FYI - The last time I checked the oil level at around 15k+ I was still above "full". No makeup oil used whatsoever this time around as well.

Wow, definitely looking forward to your UOA.

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
Originally Posted By: BeanCounter

Wow, definitely looking forward to your UOA.

Thanks. Everyone kept complaining that no one runs these oils out long enough and on and on...after the UOA I got at almost 12k I figured there was no reason not to with no lost oil throughout!

Under ideal driving conditions / engine, running any quality synthetic lube for 10-15k is very possible.

Nice UOA with the Amsoil. I await more UOAs in the future.

Originally Posted By: Artem
Under ideal driving conditions / engine, running any quality synthetic lube for 10-15k is very possible.

Nice UOA with the Amsoil. I await more UOAs in the future.

Thanks. I don't necessarily disagree with your first comment...but my vehicle is a turbocharged application on top of that. That can make quite a difference.

Try out the K&N HP1007 (IIRC), it is a very very good cartridge filter. Not sure why Amsoil doesn't see the need to manufacture a good quality cartridge filter (????), K&N takes the cake in this 'niche' market.

Originally Posted By: pcfxer
Try out the K&N HP1007 (IIRC), it is a very very good cartridge filter. Not sure why Amsoil doesn't see the need to manufacture a good quality cartridge filter (????), K&N takes the cake in this 'niche' market.

I've yet to see many that would beat the quality of the WIX I run, although if you can find the PureONE model they can be nice as well. I've checked a ton of filters in person, but just can't recall the K&N so I may have to go get a refresher.
Who is that model made by anyway? Hengst?

OSNo2.jpg

The TBN, both last sample and this sample, was tested twice using two different methods. The ones on the picture are the first typically accurate method, but I feel like the titration method is giving the more accurate reading here. This time, the titration method showed 4.43 TBN.

I was anxious to see how quite a bit longer OCI, along with running this oil through the winter -- again with absolutely no make-up oil (because none was burnt) -- would do. It appears I could have run it quite a bit longer, at a minimum.

Continuing to be please with these results on this turbo setup.

Last edited:
Those would be great results even if you didn't have a turbo. From what I can read, it looks like your filter efficiency is improving with more miles. And you have plenty of TBN left to go even further. SSO seems to work well with that engine.
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back