AMSOIL SSO 0W-30, 4683 miles, 03 Celica 2ZZ-GE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Previous Sample Thread - Includes a lot of information and details about my car.

Interval
Miles: 4673
Months: 4-5
Driving Style: Ruthless

New in this sample: I had a Virgin Oil sample sent in (New Lube or NL reference).

Only change is probably the addition of the Injen SRI with Amsoil air filter, and I accidentally may have dumped in a bunch of gasoline while removing my injectors.... Oh and teaching the GF to drive manual in my car. That can't be good for the oil (or clutch).

oilsample110000.jpg

Still have the oil in there... deciding if I should run it more, change it, or try the the 5W-40 viscosity that Lotus recommends (may help with the fuel dilution).

With your style of driving just change the oil every six months. The Amsoil 0w-30 seems to be working fine. I would also try the 5W-40 viscosity to see if it helps with the fuel dilution.

Looks good, but is there any reason you are not extending your OCI out to 10+K? This oil will do it.

Originally Posted By: Billy007
With your style of driving just change the oil every six months. The Amsoil 0w-30 seems to be working fine. I would also try the 5W-40 viscosity to see if it helps with the fuel dilution.
Yeah that's what I'm thinking.
Originally Posted By: chubbs1
This oil has quite a bit of life left,
Originally Posted By: OldCowboy
I would absolutely keep running it. It's only half used. There's nothing flagged as abnormal.
My friend joked that I should sell it to someone for an oil change, he says it's still better than some conventional oil. (joke - hope no one gets offended here
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: tig1
Looks good, but is there any reason you are not extending your OCI out to 10+K? This oil will do it.
Yes, I started testing at 5,000 intervals and planned to increase it by 2,500 until 10,000 but the first one I got had the fuel dilution problem so I was concerned and decided to maintain the same intervals in order to look for any trends.

At this point, I'm convinced the fuel dilution is "normal" and simply burns off past 2%, so I think I may try 7,500 next test if I don't change it.

I just really want to try Amsoil's 5W-40 European formula though...

I'd leave this oil in for another 4-5K.
There appear to be plenty of remaining additives and TBN looks strong.
No sense paying SSO prices and not getting more miles out of the oil.
If you're concerned about fuel dilution, RLI has an oil for you.

You're completely wasting oil, running SSO less than 6k in each run.

Might as well just buy whatever 30-weight is on sale and run that - save you lots of $$$.

I wouldn't run something like SSO less than 10k, just not worth it otherwise!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back