Amsoil SSO 0W-30, 15,861mi, 39months, 05 Tacoma

Status
Not open for further replies.
vehicle-----------------05 Toyota Tacoma, 4.0L, 6 cyl
OIL---------------------Amsoil SSO 0w-30
oil additive------------3 ounces Auto-RX initially & 5.5 oz LC20 between miles 30,471 & 37,851
Make up oil-----------added & removed 16 ounces between miles 31,894 & 35,144 (dipstick read issue)
Engine oil capacity---5.5 quarts
oil filter----------------Amsoil EAO57 (Amsoil replaced with EAO51, now with 15,000mi/1yr recommended change interval)
air filter----------------Amsoil EAA (100,00mi/4yr warranty, installed 5/9/08 at 24,011mi, cleaned at 35,144 miles)
miles on oil------------ 15,861 (apprx 3 years, 3 months--5/9/2008 thru 8/10/2011)
Miles on filter---------25,098 (64 months---5yr,4mo)
miles on vehicle--------39,872

UOA by Oil Analyzers: LAB COMMENTS: Infrared results indicate OXIDATION is SEVERELY HIGH; Total Base Number is SIGNIFICANTLY LOW; Change oil and filters if not done when oil sample was taken.

Overall severity of report--------4 (critical)

WEAR METALS in PPM:
Code:

iron----------23

chromium-------0

nickel---------1

aluminum-------4

copper---------3

lead-----------2

tin------------0

cadmium--------0

silver---------0

vanadium-------0

CONTAMINANT METALS:

silicon-------20

sodium--------10

potassium------3

MULTI-SOURCE METALS:

titanium-------0

molybdenum-----4

Antimony-------0

Manganese------0

Lithium--------0

boron---------10

ADDITIVE METALS:

magnesium-----12

calcium-----3108

barium---------4

phosphorus---544

zinc---------694

Lube change-----------no

Lube filter change----no

fuel dilution
Soot
Water
visc40---------n/a

visc100------10.6

TAN------------n/a

TBN-----------2.75

oxidation-------60

nitration-------44

NOTES/COMMENTS:
Denso long life Iridium plugs. Aprx 65/35 highway/city driving using mostly feather foot. Many short 11 mile trips. FL weather. No warmup time.
Plan to chnge oil/filter immediately with Amsoil SSO/EA oil filter. Limit future change intervals to 2 years, at current truck use rate.

PREVIOUS UOA’s:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...rue#Post1735151
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...rue#Post1028981

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd say that's pretty darn good for 3 YEARS on an oil change!

I think the lab is blowing this out of proprtion a bit - yes, a 2.75 TBN is a lot lower than the tstarting TBN, but I wouldn't actually call it 'significantly low' - I'd call a TBN of less than 1 that.

And oxidization has not affected the oil severely - it is still comfortably within grade. Yes, the LC may have helped thin it out a bit, but considering we've seen runs like this where the oil gets well into the 40-grade range, I don't think there is naything to wory about here.

Holy ----! That is one of the finest UOA's I've seen on BITOG on a gasoline fueled vehicle! Oxidation is always high in pure synthetics so I really wouldn't count that to heavy because you didn't get a VOA.

I am amazed at how Amsoil works so well in some situations and mediocre in others. You were definitely in the "worked so well category!"

NICE ENGINE!

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
UOA by Oil Analyzers: LAB COMMENTS: Infrared results indicate OXIDATION is SEVERELY HIGH; Total Base Number is SIGNIFICANTLY LOW; Change oil and filters if not done when oil sample was taken.

Overall severity of report--------4 (critical)

I would say listen to the Lab, because it's Amsoil's Lab and oil so you would think they would know what to look for.

1 yr should be the limit with any oil. Oil is cheap. Engines are not.

Originally Posted By: buster
I would say listen to the Lab, because it's Amsoil's Lab and oil so you would think they would know what to look for.

1 yr should be the limit with any oil. Oil is cheap. Engines are not.

Not exactly true. The lab is a contractor lab working for Amsoil, they are a bit lame on the oxidation, because they don't mention virgin SS0 is around 40-50.

I don't know how anyone could say this UOA is bad. I do agree with changing the oil once a year, but it's not like this oil did a bad job or he needs a new engine or anything!

I don't think it's a bad UOA, I would just play it safe and go 1 year. That's true about the oxidation, but you would think they would have the virgin number.

Originally Posted By: buster
I don't think it's a bad UOA, I would just play it safe and go 1 year. That's true about the oxidation, but you would think they would have the virgin number.

Why is everyone suggesting he limit the OCI to 1 year? He ran this oil for 3 FREAKIN YEARS!!! and it doesn't seem like it did any harm, based on the UOA, which is taken with a dash of salt.

I think 2 years would be fine on this oil/filters combo and based on the OPs driving style/conditions. It's not like he ran out of TBN or the oil is SEVERELY oxidized to the point of being completely bad.

Oil companies recommend the 1 year rule because otherwise they would sell you 5qts of oil and not get any business from you again for another 3 YEARS!!!
lol.gif

OP you have some serious cojonies running that oil for THAT long. Congrats.

Now...if only he had a by-pass filtration system? Now that would be more than Amsoil gets from him in a year's time in oil.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: brandini
Skip the additives.

I must have an additive addiction. I use FP Plus in top tier gas. I'm thinking about adding 4 ounces Schaffers #132 (I have around 5 bottles I don't want to go to waste) with 5 ounces LC20 to oil this time, then an ounce or two of LC20 periodically.

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
Now...if only he had a by-pass filtration system? Now that would be more than Amsoil gets from him in a year's time in oil.
grin2.gif

With prices on the rise, I think a by pass filtration system is ultimate investment, saving more time/money. Meanwhile, 2 year chnage intervals currently looks like the sweet spot for me in this application.

Remember folks this is NOT Blackstone so the TBN is getting low at 2.75.

IIRC anything below 2 is spent with OAI.

Bill

Originally Posted By: yota4me
Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
grin2.gif

With prices on the rise, I think a by pass filtration system is ultimate investment, saving more time/money. Meanwhile, 2 year chnage intervals currently looks like the sweet spot for me in this application.

I have to agree. Heck, even 2.5 years. Mileage wise though, if you can rack up 15k in 2 years, that would be good. I think the oil will look much better in 2013
grin2.gif

^I agree in general, for now.
thumbsup2.gif

If driving becomes more severe, or an overheating condition occurs with a mechanical related issue etc, then of course adjust your time down.

PS: I also believe if what Bill says hold weight, a TBN of 3.0 from these guys is probably more optimal.

Last edited:
Oil is cheap, I'd stick with 1-2 yr max. But that's just me.

I'm not saying anything is wrong with this UOA, but I would take the oil maker's lab's word here. Plus you don't know what type of other wear could be occurring.

^I agree with this. 2 years would be my absolute max. Sorry. In fact, I'd probably change it once a year to feel clean.
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back