Amsoil SSO 0-30w,18.7k miles,2007 Toy FJ 4.0 L

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amsoil SSO 0-30w, 18.7k miles on the oil, 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser 4.0 L V6

This is the 2nd time/yr I've run SSO 0-30w in this vehicle which now has 72k miles on it. I put about 18k miles a yr on it. Sump capacity: 6 qts. No makeup oil. It doesn't use any.

Oil was in service for 12 mths and 18,700 miles, full flow filter was a Ea015, Topdog V(no magnets) bypass system w/EaBP90 filter, air filter EaA238 was new at the beginning of this run. I changed spark plugs mid-way thru this run.

Elements in PPM
Iron 15
Chromium 1
Copper 3
Tin 3
Lead 1
Chrom 1
Nickel 0
Alum 3
Tin 3
Silver 0
Silicon 72
Sodium 44
Potassium 7
Magne 0
Titan 0
Molybdenum 1
Antim 0
Mang 0
Lith 0
Boron 6
Magnes 14
Calcium 3768
Barium 0
Phosph 527
Zinc 581

SUS Viscosity @210F 63.6
cSt Viscosity @100C 11.23
TBN 1.9
Fuel Insolubles% 0.3
Water
Blackstone Lab Comments: "Thanks for the note about the new by-pass filter. Universal averages show typical wear levels for this
type of engine after about 5,400 miles on the oil. This oil has been in use longer than that, but wear metals
still compare well with averages. Potassium, silicon, and sodium can show coolant, but that's unlikely.
Potassium and silicon could be harmless sealant used to install the filter. Sodium is probably residual
additive from a previous oil. The TBN was 1.9 showing some active additive left; less than 1.0 is too low.
Keep this oil in use and check back in 2,000 miles."

I'm gonna change the oil now w/6 qts of Amsoil AZO 0-30w and a Mobil 1-301 full flow
The air filter will remain un-touched, but I'll look for leaks
I'll leave the same bypass filter in place for another yr

Overall, I'm pleased, but I'd like to get the silicon down some.

Here is the BITOG link to a UOA on this vehicle from a yr ago: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...773#Post2135773

WHAT DO YAWL THINK?

PS: I also sent a sample to OIL ANALYZERS INC. and will post those results when I get them.

Last edited:
nice IMO. Na/K/Si seem high but no worse for wear. TBN is getting low, but the results dont show a big deal.

Wow. Frikin' impressive!

With wear this low, I'm not sure I'd 'worry' about anything - not worth it. Good show.

It would be interesting to find out if your Si and K drop after your next yearly OCI, and I'm definitely curious to compare B_S to Oil Analyzers!!!
banana2.gif

"Keep this oil in use and check back in 2,000 miles."

Blackstone wants you to continue use the old oil for another 2k miles and do another analysis ? Are they nut ?

Jet I installed a topdog v with magnets on my hemi's, great product. Nice uoa. Did you notice oil staying lighter in color with bypass? My oil seems to be staying lighter in color.

I like the bi-pass systems I really think they're a good idea for extended drains like this one. Nice!

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
"Keep this oil in use and check back in 2,000 miles."

Blackstone wants you to continue use the old oil for another 2k miles and do another analysis ? Are they nut ?

I don't see why not. If you're using a Bypass filter and Amsoil's best oil, you're probably looking to squeeze out every last drop of life outta the system as a whole. The OP can easily take it to 20,000 miles before dumping it. It's got some life left.

With a Bypass filter, i wouldn't be afraid to run it longer, even with TBN almost coming to an end.

Originally Posted By: Highline9
Jet I installed a topdog v with magnets on my hemi's, great product. Nice uoa. Did you notice oil staying lighter in color with bypass? My oil seems to be staying lighter in color.

It makes sense that if the oil is cleaner, it will look cleaner on the dipstick.

Nice to see!

I wouldn't be too afraid to run another 2K but the oil is definitely getting close to the end of it's run.

I had 2 qts of Amsoil SSO 0-30w, 4 qts of Amsoil AMO 10-40w, and a M1-301 oil filter on the shelf, so that's what I'm goin with for the next yr.

I cut open the old EaO15 oil filter. There was a dent in about 5 pleats? but there wasn't a dent externally? I don't think the dented pleats effected anything, and the filter was in good condition otherwise.

Last edited:
The bypass is stayin in place for another yr. Maybe next? I've saved the pleated element from the full flow EaO15 in case I want to send it in.
Does anybody know what it cost to analyze it?

Last edited:
love it! Wish I had the time/money to install a bypass setup. If I were to do extended drains, that's how I would do it.

As promised in my original post, here are the results from OIL ANALYZERS INC. The first # is from a yr ago, the 2nd # from this yr.

WEAR METALS-PPM
Iron 28..14
Chromium 0..0
Copper 1..1
Tin 0..1
Lead 0..0
Nickel 0..0
Alum 5..6
Tin 0..1
Silver 0..0
Cadmium 0
Vanadium 0..0
CONTAMINANT METALS-PPM
Silicon 56..70
Sodium 168..45
Potassium 4..2
MULTI SOURCE METALS
Magne 0..0
Titan 0..0
Molybdenum 2..0
Antim 0..0
Mang 0..0
Lith 0..0
Boron 6..4
ADDITIVE METALS-PPM
Magnes 14..11
Calcium 3394..3531
Barium 0..0
Phosph 568..497
Zinc 691..591

V100C 10.9---10.8
I-R Oxidation 58--64
I-R Nitra 39--41
TBN 2.66--2.18
Fuel Dilution Soot Vol Water
Oil Analyzers Inc Lab Comments: Oxidation results indicate OXIDATION is SEVERLY HIGH; Total Base Number is SIGNIFICANTLY LOW; Silicon is at a MODERATE LEVEL; SILICON sources can be abrasives (dirt, Alumina Silica), seals and gasket material, lube additive or lube supplement, and/or environmental contaminant; Change oil and filters if not done when oil sample was taken.

I'm now thinkin about cutting back the OCI to 9-10mths and/or 15k miles. I don't like the silicon #s.

Now, what do yawl think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back