Amsoil SS vs Mobil 1 EP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been going back and fourth with some Amsoil salesman on Facebook trying to say Amsoil is the best, Mobil 1 and the rest don't stand a chance... The typical Amsoil selling points and marketing, the 4 ball wear test etc... Even shared videos from project farm and Nates interactive on YouTube as proof...

I know it's good oil but it's Amsoil SS and the rest really worth the price over like Mobil 1 EP etc

The mainstream brands have closed the gap on the boutique brands in terms of performance. There's no reason Mobil 1 EP won't perform just as well. I like using the best products available, but I fall within the laws of diminishing returns in regard to paying that much for motor oil. Oil and filter change every 5000 is working great for my three cars, using PP, M1 EP and Edge.

Been going back and fourth with some Amsoil salesman on Facebook trying to say Amsoil is the best, Mobil 1 and the rest don't stand a chance... The typical Amsoil selling points and marketing, the 4 ball wear test etc... Even shared videos from project farm and Nates interactive on YouTube as proof...

I know it's good oil but it's Amsoil SS and the rest really worth the price over like Mobil 1 EP etc
It’s the “best” for me because I can get it shipped to my front door for the same price.

D7475623-F865-4784-A24A-DF42D7862EF6.jpeg

The mainstream brands have closed the gap on the boutique brands in terms of performance. There's no reason Mobil 1 EP won't perform just as well. I like using the best products available, but I fall within the laws of diminishing returns in regard to paying that much for motor oil. Oil and filter change every 5000 is working great for my three cars, using PP, M1 EP and Edge.
When did that gap existed? I remember mainstream brands being used in La Mans and F1 long before Amsoil and Redline existed.

Amsoil might be superior to some viscosity grades of Mobil1 EP, although the 0w20 EP seems to be formulated more like a boutique oil with PAO as the main base, I don't deal with Amsoil salesmen, they're too motivated to mislead people in order to make a sale, I'd respect Amsoil more if they did a competent distribution scheme with respected retailers but this MLM stuff has created a mess and I don't respect the company because of it, I keep seeing that "Synthetic Oil Protection" channel on YouTube in my recommended video and that guy is so full of crap. I can deal with PF or Nate's Interactive Malarkey channel because they're not selling the products they "test" and they spent their own money and they're more of "entertainment" channels than anything, but when an Amsoil dealer starts posting lots of stuff like that and the company seems to be okay with their products being marketed that way I can't respect them.

I like some of amsoils pecialty products. I use their HDD in my generator, and the AME in my power washer and it will go in my new log splitter.

I don't really run it in my cars , whats on the shelf at Walmart seems to get it done.

Choose and move on.
I've learned it's best to not say what oil or filter I use as well as how often I change the oil in our cars. I don't get any debates this way with telling me that oil doesn't have enough moly or too much "x", that filter has the wrong mat'l for the bypass valve, or I change the oil too often/not often enough !

People with argue over which 20-25K oil is better, then drain it out @ 8K.
That's my favorite, especially with overpriced, boutique oils. People don't understand that the reason Amsoil targets the longer intervals is that it helps justify the higher price. You can buy Supertech and change it 2-3x as often for the same price but then again, some will insist that running ST oil for 5000 miles is asking for trouble !

For something changed as frequently as engine oil, it would take some very special circumstances for me to consider running a boutique oil.

However when it comes to something like mtf, atf or differential oil where you could run it anywhere from 50-60-100k miles, that is when I would strongly consider the boutique options. Even at that point when maxlife and transmax exist along with most of the synthetic gear oils, you can change twice as often with the money you saved so it is up to ones self to determine how lazy they want to be.

When options like Mobil 1 ep or the Castrol edge titanium are available locally and make fantastic oils for extended intervals it just wouldn't make sense to me to spend the extra money. You can see in my signature that engine oil is quality yet inexpensive oil that i got for $2 a quart and change often whereas the mtf is a boutique option because I don't want to change it anymore.

I can't say with facts if Amsoil is better than the Mobil 1 I currently use. It also doesn't matter to me because I prefer an oil I can get anywhere, it's cheap at walmart and can handle my 6-7k mile OCI's easily. Now if I were stretching out past 10k miles then I would be deeper looking at which one would be the best at that.

I can't say with facts if Amsoil is better than the Mobil 1 I currently use. It also doesn't matter to me because I prefer an oil I can get anywhere, it's cheap at walmart and can handle my 6-7k mile OCI's easily. Now if I were stretching out past 10k miles then I would be deeper looking at which one would be the best at that.
When I am on the track, of people I know, 0 use Amsoil. They use some of their gear stuff. Mostly comes down to Motul, Mobil1, Castrol and Redline for engine oils. For gear stuff Amsoil can be seen, Redline is regular, Motul more common, OE stuff most common.
For brake fluids Motul and ATE are by far most common, Castrol SRF if things are really hot and budget is bigger.

Amsoil might be superior to some viscosity grades of Mobil1 EP, although the 0w20 EP seems to be formulated more like a boutique oil with PAO as the main base, I don't deal with Amsoil salesmen, they're too motivated to mislead people in order to make a sale, I'd respect Amsoil more if they did a competent distribution scheme with respected retailers but this MLM stuff has created a mess and I don't respect the company because of it, I keep seeing that "Synthetic Oil Protection" channel on YouTube in my recommended video and that guy is so full of crap. I can deal with PF or Nate's Interactive Malarkey channel because they're not selling the products they "test" and they spent their own money and they're more of "entertainment" channels than anything, but when an Amsoil dealer starts posting lots of stuff like that and the company seems to be okay with their products being marketed that way I can't respect them.
True but he has a darn good video on changing atf on an Accent, actually it's really the only video.

As Mobil 1 ep 20000k miles is Available locally and prices is less than amsoil signature series 25k but group 4 and 5 where Mobil 1 ep is mixed form group 3,4,5 i will choose Mobil 1 ep because price with rebate it will be 50% or less price depend where you buy it from in Walmart $28 with rebate $10 -15 I can buy 10 qts vs amsoil ss only 5 qts

Buy some of each, run some of each, UOA some of each and see how far they can be run in your application. Then post your results!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back