Amsoil SS on a 300K engine?

In the spring I made a decision to change out all my cars oils to Amsoil, oil and filters, and just change them once a year. Well, I got cold feet with the car I take to the race track and changed it after 5 events (07 350Z and yes it has a dual pass oil cooler so temps are around 250F on track on a 100F day).

Now to the issue....I have my DD van which is a 2013 Chrysler T&C with 296,000 miles on it. It has the Amsoil SS 5w-20 in it. It burned a over a quart of it already in the 6000 miles I drove it so far. I threw in a quart of 10W-30 Amsoil SS to top it off as thats the last of the SS oil i had left. Figured that was better than topping off with a different brand. It always has had oil consumption but this is more than normal. I am probably going to put another 6-8k miles on it over the winter. Do their extended OCIs even apply to an engine with this high of miles? I am considering just dumping the stuff and changing the oil twice a year on everything with PUP since I get it from WalMart for under $25 a jug. Maybe I am not cut out for extended OCIs? Anyways, Is running a 10k+ OCI on a Pentastar with nearly 300K miles on it a good idea or is this dumb?

Last edited:
In the spring I made a decision to change out all my cars oils to Amsoil, oil and filters, and just change them once a year. Well, I got cold feet with the car I take to the race track and changed it after 5 events (07 350Z and yes it has a dual pass oil cooler so temps are around 250F on track on a 100F day).

Now to the issue....I have my DD van which is a 2013 Chrysler T&C with 296,000 miles on it. It has the Amsoil SS 5w-20 in it. It burned a over a quart of it already in the 6000 miles I drove it so far. I threw in a quart of 10W-30 Amsoil SS to top it off as thats the last of the SS oil i had left. Figured that was better than topping off with a different brand. It always has had oil consumption but this is more than normal. I am probably going to put another 6-8k miles on it over the winter. Do their extended OCIs even apply to an engine with this high of miles? I am considering just dumping the stuff and changing the oil twice a year on everything with PUP since I get it from WalMart for under $25 a jug. Maybe I am not cut out for extended OCIs? Anyways, Is running a 10k+ OCI on a Pentastar with nearly 300K miles on it a good idea or is this dumb?
Well, those are great questions for Amsoil and/or Pablo on this blog. Whatever got you to aforementioned mileage. Keep at it sir! Let us know what you decide and followup (please). Good luck!

Well, those are great questions for Amsoil and/or Pablo on this blog. Whatever got you to aforementioned mileage. Keep at it sir! Let us know what you decide and followup (please). Good luck!
I got here by running synthetic 5w-20 and changing it every 5-7500 miles religiously. However, now I am kind of interested to see how long I can keep this thing alive. As a sort of experiment. So I'm looking into what can keep it alive the longest

There's no reason to pony up for Amsoil SS in an engine with 300K on it. Still, using 1 quart in 6K, with that sort of mileage on it, seems perfectly reasonable. Put the cheapest major-brand synthetic in it, continue your original OCI regimen (going for extended OCIs probably isn't the best idea for maximum miles out of a high-mileage drive train), and report back the mileage to us when the engine finally dies.

QSUD 5w-20 with (look to the left.....look to the right......) 1 cap full of Lucas oil thickenerizer. :) shhh don't tell anyone.

Change the PCV if it hasn't been changes in a long time.

For the engine - get whatever keeps you asleep at night, but Supertech Advanced Synthetic is advertised to go up to 20k miles and will do just fine til 500k miles on the van or more. I'd use it in 5w30 flavor with 5k-10k OCI (according to some UOAs and owner testimonials Pentastar engines favor that viscosity). Just make sure to change transmission fluid often (every 20k-30k) and don't forget about tranny filter. If anything is gonna be "the last straw" on that van - it's the tranny.

Last edited:
Back