Amsoil SS Noack numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
Originally Posted by SlavaB

Carbon buildup is a real thing for GDI engines

I get that GDI's are a different beast but there are 20yr old GDI's on the road and my guess is most of the people running them couldn't spell noack let alone tell you what it means. They've been taking their car into Jiffy Lube and running bulk dino all this time... has the performance taken a hit, probably. Are they still on the road...yep. (and diesel engines are racking up millions of miles running 8,9 or 10% HD noack oils, right?)

Best post in the thread.

Originally Posted by kschachn
Agreed, not everyone can spell Noack properly.

Funny, of all the things you could comment on in this thread.. that's what you choose. Like I said, always spoiling for a fight....

(Btw, do I care if I capitalize or don't capitalize noack, not in the least... especially if I know it turns your screw...‚)

Carbon buildup is a real thing for GDI engines

I get that GDI's are a different beast but there are 20yr old GDI's on the road and my guess is most of the people running them couldn't spell noack let alone tell you what it means. They've been taking their car into Jiffy Lube and running bulk dino all this time... has the performance taken a hit, probably. Are they still on the road...yep. (and diesel engines are racking up millions of miles running 8,9 or 10% HD noack oils, right?)

Hey all you said makes total sense, I'm not arguing.
I was trying to say from the beginning:
1. I'm not really losing sleep over Noack or chasing the lowest possible Noack oil; just saw the numbers and thought it'll be interesting to share with community
2. I do agree that lots of people dont care about this staff and live fine, I had an uber ride in 18 Sportage just like mine and the driver has put like 60k miles in less than 2 years with conventional oil and cheapest filter provided by Uber's backed mechanic; the dude couldn't care less about it when I asked.

What I was thinking about is that actually these numbers make sense - their 5w20 and 10w30 have less VII so the oil evaporates less as well (and both noack numbers are low), while lets say for PP 10w30 it's at 4.7 and PP 5w20 is almost 9 and it just doesnt correlate well in my head

Originally Posted by kschachn
Agreed, not everyone can spell Noack properly.

Funny, of all the things you could comment on in this thread.. that's what you choose. Like I said, always spoiling for a fight....

(Btw, do I care if I capitalize or don't capitalize noack, not in the least... especially if I know it turns your screw...‚)

lol.gif

Right on all counts.

What I was thinking about is that actually these numbers make sense - their 5w20 and 10w30 have less VII so the oil evaporates less as well (and both noack numbers are low), while lets say for PP 10w30 it's at 4.7 and PP 5w20 is almost 9 and it just doesnt correlate well in my head

Where did you get those noack values? The 5/20 and 10/30 have identical flash points so I would expect similar noack numbers, no? But you're saying they're really really different, almost by a factor of 2. Is it possible Pennzoils not using a (the same) 100% GTL base stock for both?...but then again they have nearly identical VI's, so that's probably not it. Are you 100% certain that 4.7 is correct for the 10/30??

Where did you get those noack values? The 5/20 and 10/30 have identical flash points so I would expect similar noack numbers, no? But you're saying they're really really different, almost by a factor of 2. Is it possible Pennzoils not using a (the same) 100% GTL base stock for both?...but then again they have nearly identical VI's, so that's probably not it. Are you 100% certain that 4.7 is correct for the 10/30??

That's what I've found here on bitog and people refer to it quite often https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4718980/Pennzoil_Platinum_and_Ultra_Pl
PPPP 0W-20: 10.8%
PPPP 5W-20: 8.6%
PPPP 5W-30: 10.1%
PPPP 10W-30: 4.7%

That's what I've found here on bitog and people refer to it quite often https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4718980/Pennzoil_Platinum_and_Ultra_Pl
PPPP 0W-20: 10.8%
PPPP 5W-20: 8.6%
PPPP 5W-30: 10.1%
PPPP 10W-30: 4.7%

Weird...(I wasn't calling you a liar, just that 10/30 stuck out like a sore thumb). Pennzoil markets their PP using the same PurePlus GTL...so why the big difference in noack? I see your point... dunno, you got me my friend.🤔.. that's one for the formulators and since they never disclose that stuff, good luck getting an answer.

Fwiw... that 10w30 PP looks pretty darn good now! Talk about a hidden gem...

Last edited:
... The 5/20 and 10/30 have identical flash points so I would expect similar noack numbers, no? ...

Not necessarily! For example the first 4 Amsoil oils (0w20, 5w20, 0w30 and 5w30) listed on page 1 (1st post by the op) all have flash points of 220°C. However their Noack varies from 5.8 to 8.8

Edit:
PP 10w30 Noack is approaching Amsoil territory! We sure it wasn't a typo by Gokhan?

Last edited:

Fwiw... that 10w30 PP looks pretty darn good now! Talk about a hidden gem...

Yeah, weird is the correct term
smile.gif

Lots of folks here use PP 10w30 as their summer fill, and the definition of it as "a hidden gem" was used numerous times by now. And I'm still not sure how cold the winter should be to notice that 5w30 has a better flow than 10w30 - me living in WA where some snow still falls down during winter, decided to fill with factory recommended 5w20 for the upcoming season. Seems like overthinking it still lol

Originally Posted by OilUzer
... The 5/20 and 10/30 have identical flash points so I would expect similar noack numbers, no? ...

Not necessarily! For example the first 4 Amsoil oils (0w20, 5w20, 0w30 and 5w30) listed on page 1 (1st post by the op) all have flash points of 220°C. However their Noack varies from 5.8 to 8.8

True, but I'm looking at just the 5/20 and 10/30 as that's the two grades in question here. With the PP oils we see a noack difference of nearly a factor of 2.. with the Amsoil oils (at the same two grades) we don't see a demonstrable difference in noack with the similar flash points. So while the PP 5/20 and 10/30 have similar flash points, they have a huge spread in their respective noacks. If the PP 10/30 is using the same GTL stock as the 5/20, why the huge spread? Is it due to the add pks between the two?

Last edited:

True, but I'm looking at just the 5/20 and 10/30 as that's the two grades in question here. With the PP oils we see a noack difference of nearly a factor of 2.. with the Amsoil oils (at the same two grades) we don't see a demonstrable difference in noack with the similar flash points. So while the PP 5/20 and 10/30 have similar flash points, they have a huge spread in their respective noacks.

Here's the thing tho (forgot to mention) - Noack value is pretty close only for their Signature Series, the regular OEM and XL have nearly a factor of 2 as well

Last edited:
SlavaB,
Do you live on the wet side or the dry side? I'm guessing W. Wa!

Seattle

SlavaB,

Seattle

I wouldn't worry about using 10W30 then. It is speced down to -12°F
We rarely see 18°F and that's every few years. You may see a little drop in mpg. I Do.

btw, I like PP and have some in the garage so nothing against it but that 4.x Noack makes me wonder if it was a typo!

SlavaB,

Seattle

I wouldn't worry about using 10W30 then. It is speced down to -12°F
We rarely see 18°F and that's every few years.

btw, I like PP and have some in the garage so nothing against it but that 4.x Noack makes me wonder if it was a typo!

I believe it's not! Amsoil numbers for 10w30 are in the same range across their product lines, I've heard that's because it doesn't require much of VII to achieve this 10/30 range

Pennzoil yellow bottle 10w30 @ 4.4
Source http://www.pqiadata.org/Pennzoil10W30.html

I wish I could remember %10 of what I read
grin2.gif

Which oil was it that people were recently talking about having a low Noack for a while due to excess good base oil that was used in it ... and later it went back to its original base oil and higher Noack!
Do you remember that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back