Amsoil SS 5w30 UOA with E85 and methanol

Few questions for you guys. (I'm a new member but a long time lurker).
The vehicle is a Fiesta ST, 1.6l, E85, methanol, stage 3, 27 psi boost.. It's a TT5 track car. It's not a daily driver, but I do drive it on the street, but only for canyon or mountain runs. When it's being driven, it's being driven hard.
How does this UOA look to you guys? Would switching to Amsoil SS 0w40, or 10w30 be a better decision? The viscosity looks like it took a hit in a very short oci. Just looking for some input.

Thanks guy!!!

Screenshot_20210812-204100_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
viscosity looks hammered although the wear levels look just fine for a short run. SS strikes me as a better fit for long-run oil in less intense use with its high TBN. personally i'd probably look into Redline 5W30 which starts way on the high side of a 30 weight thickness, or even an off the shelf 0W-40 which will be cheaper and easier to find and shear down to a thick 30 by the time you've run an event or two.

those fiestas are fun cars! definitely punch way above their weight on the right road.

viscosity looks hammered although the wear levels look just fine for a short run. SS strikes me as a better fit for long-run oil in less intense use with its high TBN. personally i'd probably look into Redline 5W30 which starts way on the high side of a 30 weight thickness, or even an off the shelf 0W-40 which will be cheaper and easier to find and shear down to a thick 30 by the time you've run an event or two.

those fiestas are fun cars! definitely punch way above their weight on the right road.
Thanks for the response. I was thinking about the Redline, but I keep reading it's not really meant for these turbo direct injection motors. Maybe it's the SA content being too high?
The othere oils I've considered are Ravenol RSP 5w30 (kind of thin), Amsoil Dominator 10w30, and Royal Purple XPR 5w30 (which is what replaced the Amsoil). Or, like you said, a 0w40.....any suggestions?
I want good protection, but also worried about deposits, etc.

Back to the drawing board I guess.

These Fiestas are great!! It has brought disappoint to a few cars that are way above it, that's for sure. Lol

Maybe it’s just me but if I were tracking a car I cared about I would definitely use Redline and I’d get their recommendation as to exactly which one to use.

Excellent advice from everyone. Thanks guys. I'll contact Redline and see what they say, as well as look at the Motul.

Any thoughts on the Ravenol RSP?

Also, is that viscosity reduction considered a major reduction? The Blackstone oil tech told me it was a minor reduction, and nothing to worry about.

The viscosity drop is likely from shearing. Amsoil SS 5W-30 starts ~10.3 cSt so it sheared ~1.7 cSt. That's not awful but not good either.

Amsoil SS is a long-interval street oil designed around low intensity for long durations. You'd be better off with an oil designed more for high intensity / short duration such as High Performance Lubricants BAS 5W-30.

So I just talked to Dave at Redline, and he recommended their 5w30, so I guess I'm going to give that a try. He also said that I might be cooling the oil too much actually, lol. I didn't think I would be able to do that here in Southern California. Who knew? 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: 4WD
I'm curious where the manganese is coming from. Were you using a fuel additive, such as an octane booster, at any point in the OCI? The only other place I could see manganese coming from would be the methanol as methanol can be made using a manganese oxide catalyst at very high pressure and temperature. However, that's an old method that's not really used anymore.

I'm curious where the manganese is coming from. Were you using a fuel additive, such as an octane booster, at any point in the OCI? The only other place I could see manganese coming from would be the methanol as methanol can be made using a manganese oxide catalyst at very high pressure and temperature. However, that's an old method that's not really used anymore.
I have used Race fuel (in the can which does contain that manganese) and Torco before, but not on this tank of gas. Maybe the manganese came from some residue left over? Or it could have prob come from a number of other different things, fitting from the oil cooler, the gaskets and materials from the oil control system etc?

Sounds like it's leftover from the previous oil change. I think a 30 grade would be the way to go also. I don't see any need to go to a 40 grade. You just need a 30 grade designed for the abuse.

Sounds like it's leftover from the previous oil change. I think a 30 grade would be the way to go also. I don't see any need to go to a 40 grade. You just need a 30 grade designed for the abuse.
That's EXACTLY what Dave from Redline said as well. I'm running Royal Purple XPR 5w30 now, as soon as the Redling gets here, I'll change it out. I'm gonna do a UOA on that Royal Purple also, just for s***s and grins.

Yeah, get that purple sludge syrup out of there. lol

Though Red Line HP 5W-30 is a good choice, I would give this oil a look as well.

Back