Amsoil SS 5w30 10k Miles, Dodge 4.7

Status
Not open for further replies.
My first oil analysis in a long time (first on this truck). Normally go 5k mile changes but life happened and I decided to go 10k miles. Been using Amsoil SS for 40k miles, since I bought the truck used at 90k miles. Replaced with Napa Synthetic and a Napa Gold. Have a stockpile of Pennzoil Platinum and lots of Napa Gold filters to continue on.

Had the Napa oil lab out of Portland do it. Input welcome.

2002 Dodge Dakota 4.7, 130k Miles
Amsoil Signature Series 5w30, Napa Gold (Wix), 10k Miles

Code:

Metals (ppm)

Iron (Fe) 24

Chromium (Cr) 1

Lead (Pb) 5

Copper (Cu) 7

Tin (Sn) 7

Aluminium (Al) 9

Nickel (Ni) 4

Silver (Ag)
Titanium (Ti)
Vanadium (V)

Contaminants (ppm)

Silicon (Si) 18

Sodium (Na) 147

Potassium (K) 2

Additives (ppm)

Magnesium (Mg) 22

Calcium (Ca) 4365

Barium (Ba)
Phosphorus (P) 908

Zinc (Zn) 941

Molybdenum (Mo) 186

Boron (B) 73

Contaminants

Water (%)
Coolant No

Physical Tests

Viscosity (cSt 100C) 11.4

Physical / Chemical

Base Number (mgKOH/g) 3.3

Last edited:
The Iron reading looks high for some reason. I'm guessing the average is half of that. How long was the oil in use time wise?

Don't feel bad since the uoa on the Matrix had an Iron reading of 26 after 9500 miles on 0w20 MC syn-blend. But the Camry had a reading of 5 ppm after 10k miles on TGMO 0w20.

Looks good for the most part. Iron is a little high though.

Good TBN left after 10k. Could probably go 15k depending on how it's driven. But that iron though...

Last edited:
Thanks for the input.

Oil was in use for less than 6 months. Mostly longer highway miles, not a lot of stop and go or short tripping.

What would high iron indicate- what type of problem or symptom?

Or is it not a concern unless it shows up repeatedly?

Adam

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ABursell
Thanks for the input.

Oil was in use for less than 6 months. Mostly longer highway miles, not a lot of stop and go or short tripping.

What would high iron indicate- what type of problem or symptom?

Or is it not a concern unless it shows up repeatedly?

Adam

The only way to be sure is multiple consecutive UOA's. I would definitely send one in after your next OCI. If it stays that high then we many need to dig further. If I'm not mistaken iron comes from piston wear, others would be able to give a for sure answer.

With the high Iron reading on my uoa I think it was because the air filter was past due. Since the silicon reading was high, some fuel dilution plus it was in service for 10 months iirc. Plus the oil was a syn-blend.

But none of those seem to be issues with your report.

I didn't think the iron was that bad for 10,000 miles.
21.gif

I never considered any other weights, have just been running factory recommendation. Didn't have an analysis or any reason to think otherwise. Is there something here that shows maybe I should?

And yes to confirm this is 10k miles on the oil and filter. Does that make the iron more acceptable?

Thanks again.

Adam

Looking at the lead 5 ppm, tin 7 ppm and nickel 4 ppm #s from plain bearings , a higher viscosity grade oil in xW40 may help, I suppose.
JMHO though.
blush.gif

And yes to confirm this is 10k miles on the oil and filter. Does that make the iron more acceptable?

Thanks again.

Adam

Maybe...what were the comments from the oil analysis, and what were the universal averages/miles?

Originally Posted By: Kuato
Maybe...what were the comments from the oil analysis, and what were the universal averages/miles?

No universal averages/miles as it seems only Blackstone does that.

Comments:
All wear levels appear within acceptable limits for first
sample. Silicon level (dirt/sealant material) satisfactory.
Water content acceptable. Viscosity within specified
operating range.
Action: As oil and filter(s) already changed, Resample
at next recommended interval to monitor and establish
wear trend.

Jmo try a new oem air filter and new oem oil filter next change an see if your numbers improve. Good luck with it.

Action: As oil and filter(s) already changed, Resample
at next recommended interval to monitor and establish
wear trend.

^This. Without other engines to compare with, another sample or two is in order.

However 12ppm seems good for 5k.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I didn't think the iron was that bad for 10,000 miles.
21.gif

Yeah I agree, for 10k miles, it seemed OK to me.

Good UOA - no worries. Iron not high. Lead could be small particle streak(spec of dirt), still minimal for that mileage vehicle. Keep doing what you're doing and keep it topped off, especially if you do more longer runs. 10k is acceptable on mostly highway w full synthetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back