Amsoil SS 5W-20 6,417mi 12 Ford Fusion Sport 3.5

Status
Not open for further replies.
The current UOA is Amsoil SS 5W20 with Amsoil filter in my 2012 Ford Fusion Sport AWD (3.5 V6). My previous oil changes were royal purple simply because that's what I had on hand. I plan on sticking to Amsoil SS for the foreseeable future. Comments on the results are welcome.

Code:

OIL Amsoil Signature Series 5W20

MILES IN USE 6417

MILES 16983

SAMPLE TAKEN 11/10/12

ALUMINUM 7

CHROMIUM 0

IRON 21

COPPER 42

LEAD 0

TIN 0

MOLYBDENUM 114

NICKEL 1

MANGANESE 8

SILVER 0

TITANIUM 0

POTASSIUM 8

BORON 73

SILICON 17

SODIUM 97

CALCIUM 3170

MAGNESIUM 18

PHOSPHORUS 662

ZINC 760

BARIUM 0 1

INSOLUBLES 0.2

WATER 0

FLASHPOINT ºF 400

SUS VIS 210ºF 56.8

cSt @ 100ºC 9.31

TBN 3.0

I'll attach a photo link to the UOA shortly...

And some on here (I'm not one) have just about dropped their shorts when Mobil 1 showed 21 ppm iron. Made it sound like the engine had dissolved.
But you UOA is fine. FGollow the copper as the engine breaks in.

Here is the link of the UOA from blackstone. It has the previous UOA's which may lend more context as to the history of the vehicle. Let me know what you think!

Agreed in that the break-in is still occuring. Further, the chemical changes from RP to Amsoil possibly are contributing to the Cu and such. That is not an indictment, but an merely an observation that would explain the elements. It's simply too soon to know what is going to be typical for this unit.

I would ask, however, what the long term plan is here?

The OEM OCIs are 7.5k miles are they not (or does it have an IOLM)? What is the intent of using premium syns? Is there an intent to extend the OCI?

dnewton3, I am one of those individuals uses high quality synthetics even the application does not require them. With that being said, the max OEM interval is 10k. I probably wont go much more than 7500 on an OCI, depending on how much "life" is left on Amsoil's SS oil. If it proves to be wasteful, i might extend the OCI, use Amsoil's XL series, or go back to RP since its cheaper.

My thought process is that this might help folks with a similar vehicle determine if extended length OCI's will work for them. I plan on creeping up to 7500 on my next OCI and staying with Amsoil SS for at least another two changes to see how the numbers trend.

I tend to agree with you, but in fairness I must add that changing from rp to amsoil could have messed with the chemistry like dnewton3 indicated. Plus, maybe break in materials are still washing out? Not too sure, but I plan on sticking to the same oil type for the next few changes so I can develop relevant information about how this oil performs in this engine.

Originally Posted By: MarkStock
The TBNs seem low on the SS and Royal Purple. SS does not seem capable of going 25k.

TBN Retention is not linear. Many oils go down to 2-3 quickly and then stay there for several thousands of miles.

Originally Posted By: volk06
The TBNs seem low on the SS and Royal Purple. SS does not seem capable of going 25k.

TBN Retention is not linear. Many oils go down to 2-3 quickly and then stay there for several thousands of miles.

Poignant and fully accurate.

Originally Posted By: fusion0389
dnewton3, I am one of those individuals uses high quality synthetics even the application does not require them. With that being said, the max OEM interval is 10k. I probably wont go much more than 7500 on an OCI, depending on how much "life" is left on Amsoil's SS oil. If it proves to be wasteful, i might extend the OCI, use Amsoil's XL series, or go back to RP since its cheaper.

My thought process is that this might help folks with a similar vehicle determine if extended length OCI's will work for them. I plan on creeping up to 7500 on my next OCI and staying with Amsoil SS for at least another two changes to see how the numbers trend.

Now that is the first really truthful answer I've read here in a long time.

Acknowledges the lack of need, but desire. Admits that conditions might change, and would consider alternatives either extending or reducing, and with some consideration of fiscal effect, as the data and situation would warrant.

Kudos to you for a well reasoned answer. And thank you.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: volk06

That's useful information if this is one of them.

Is it?

My recommendation (not that anyone asked).

Switch to the lowest cost 5W-20 approved oil. Heck even Amsoil OE 5W-20. Run several OCI's, maybe even 4 OCI's - for 5K or less. This engine seems to be taking some time to break in, which is more unusual today. After that switch back to SS 5W-20 and go 7.5-10K miles.

Why couldn't he go 25k on SS? He is racking it up very quickly, so this is gentle highway mileage. Any off the shelf syn would go 7.5-10k miles.

Why couldn't he go 25k on SS? He is racking it up very quickly, so this is gentle highway mileage. Any off the shelf syn would go 7.5-10k miles.

Not all engines and all situations are 25K with Amsoil. Extended OCI's should be taken seriously. Just as a start Amsoil says UP TO 25K miles. Never, ever just blindly try 25K.

http://www.amsoil.com/lit/g1490.pdf

Any off the shelf syn? You say that with such certainty, how are you so sure? I can't claim to know this engine so well. Let's see the metals settle down with time first.

Originally Posted By: Pablo

Not all engines and all situations are 25K with Amsoil. Extended OCI's should be taken seriously. Just as a start Amsoil says UP TO 25K miles. Never, ever just blindly try 25K.

http://www.amsoil.com/lit/g1490.pdf

Any off the shelf syn? You say that with such certainty, how are you so sure? I can't claim to know this engine so well. Let's see the metals settle down with time first.

Thanks

I can't be sure but Ford's service interval for that engine is oil life monitor dependent and a maximum of 12 months. From that, you would expect the average to be about 10k annually in situations where the majority of driving was highway / non severe.

The OP seems to be doing mainly highway driving since he's doing 20k a year.

So I would imagine based on the expected service interval of 10k, based on the fact that conventional oils meet the manufacturer spec, and based on his driving being even more biased towards highway, that 7.5k to 10k on any syn that met the Ford spec would be a cake walk.

On the other hand, he's changing his oil quite frequently so if he is going by the OLM maybe he is doing severe driving.

I don't like the results, they'd worry me.

I'd do a few short OCI's with inexpensive 5W-20 to help the engine flush-out break in, or whatever is going on.

Ford Duratec V-6's are very clean on break in...these results are not normal, IMO.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
I don't like the results, they'd worry me.

I'd do a few short OCI's with inexpensive 5W-20 to help the engine flush-out break in, or whatever is going on.

Ford Duratec V-6's are very clean on break in...these results are not normal, IMO.

I concur.

Thanks for the input everyone, I am not particularly worried with the results because the metals are trending downwards. I did a few hand calculations on the wear metals to try to figure out how much metal i am getting per mile and that number has decreased with every oil change.

As far as driving habits are concerned, your assumptions are correct in that much of my driving is highway mileage. its split probably about 70\30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back