Amsoil SS 10W30,7728 mi, 08 Dodge Charger 3.5

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my most recent UOA. This is my 2nd oil report on Amsoil signature series. The change interval is about a full year. The Blackstone lab suggest me to shorten it down to 5000 miles or 9 months.

XKM121CHARGER-091313-page-001_zpscd74a799.jpg

My previous oil reports:

1st oil report: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...971#Post2784971

2nd oil report: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...973#Post2784973

Copper is high and the OCI started at close to 30K miles so the engine should be broken in by now.

I would use a less expensive oil and go 5000 OCI until the copper settles down.

I don't really see a big problem here. I would carry on but maybe switch to 0w-5w30. Cu was better than last run and oil looks like it is in good shape. No need for a 10w30 syn IMO. Thanks for the UOA! What do you have in there now?

No need for an expensive oil such as Amsoil, you can see it is not protecting your engine any better. Try a 5w30 OTC name brand syn and see how it looks.

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
I don't really see a big problem here. I would carry on but maybe switch to 0w-5w30. Cu was better than last run and oil looks like it is in good shape. No need for a 10w30 syn IMO. Thanks for the UOA! What do you have in there now?

Amsoil signature series 10w30. I plan to go 9 months this round

Originally Posted By: gregk24
No need for an expensive oil such as Amsoil, you can see it is not protecting your engine any better. Try a 5w30 OTC name brand syn and see how it looks.

Will try mobile1 next round

That is if you conveniently ignore the fact that he doubled the miles and copper was cut in half vs. his first UOA.

Originally Posted By: brandini
Short trip? cold start? try a 5W-30 next time.

Yep. Lots of city miles. Thanks for the tip! I will go 5W30 next round!

Originally Posted By: Pablo

That is if you conveniently ignore the fact that he doubled the miles and copper was cut in half vs. his first UOA.

02.gif

Originally Posted By: Pablo

Although 12,000 miles out from that first UOA one would expect for the copper numbers to continue to improve and not remain the same (unless there is a copper oil cooler in the system).

I thought Amsoil was some magic elixir. 5000 miles? I think i could find a cheaper alternative and get as good if not better performance.

Just to get it out there, the reason to go to a 5W-30 is for quicker startup protection in Oregon in winter. Since you obviously don't drive much the number of miles per cold start will be higher on this engine so startup would be a priority for you.

OK I think I have traced down the root of my problem.

Back in 2009 when I first bought the car, I was persuaded by some Charger forum members to install a mod called Oil Catch Can.

http://www.custombilletstore.com/product_p/20011.htm

It seems that copper is actually coming from the catch can. To this day I am not sure whether a catch can is necessary for my car. But right now this seems to be the case.

I will disconnect the catch can soon to see if it helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back