Amsoil SS 10W30,5436 mi, 08 Dodge Charger 3.5

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my most recent UOA. This is my 3nd oil report on Amsoil signature series. The change interval is about 9 months. The Blackstone lab suggest me to shorten it down to 8500 miles or a year.

oilreports-page-001_zps62e04733.jpg

My previous oil reports:

1st oil report: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2784971

2nd oil report: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2785952

3rd oil report: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3155844

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gregk24
Whats going on with your copper?

I installed a catch can. The copper is from the catch can hose. Several Charger owners all have similar issues with copper.

I am too lazy to take the catch can off.

If we take the copper out of the equation since you know where it's coming from the report is great. If the copper was a problem you would see more than 1 on lead.

Thinking out loud I have a question for our resident UOA experts. Since Copper is coming from an outside source and it is considered a wear metal, should the outside source of Copper [the catch can] be removed? Can it cause any harm, long term to the engine?

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Thinking out loud I have a question for our resident UOA experts. Since Copper is coming from an outside source and it is considered a wear metal, should the outside source of Copper [the catch can] be removed? Can it cause any harm, long term to the engine?

That's my question, too. Will the copper act as an abrasive? Doesn't sound like it is something I'd want in my engine if it is not part of the normal wear.

Originally Posted By: JerryBob
Originally Posted By: demarpaint

That's my question, too. Will the copper act as an abrasive? Doesn't sound like it is something I'd want in my engine if it is not part of the normal wear.

I'd ditch the can and get a UOA w/o it and see what happens then.

Originally Posted By: xkm121
Originally Posted By: gregk24
Whats going on with your copper?

I installed a catch can. The copper is from the catch can hose. Several Charger owners all have similar issues with copper.

I am too lazy to take the catch can off.

I'd consider keeping the catch can, and replacing the offending hose.

Quote:

I doubt the copper particles could act as an abrasive since it it is probably just elemental copper atoms in the oil.

Inside the PI package are additive protection agents, which are called metal deactivators, and they inhibit the corrosive effects of oxidation with metals, and decrease metal interaction with oxygen compounds to reduce oxidation of the oil.

When those additive compounds wear out or are diluted, and the copper levels are high, you could have a higher oxidation rate of the oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back