Amsoil SS 0w20, ~6000 miles, 2020 Jeep Gladiator 36000 miles

Below is the OCA using Amsoil SS 0w20 for about 6k miles in extreme terrain towing a 5000 pound trailer in mountains, desert and extreme cold/heat. I’m most curious on why the viscosity is off. The higher silicon can be attributed to changing the oil pan and the silicone that was used to make the gasket between the upper and lower oil pan so I expected that. I’m thinking of switching to Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0w20 just because I thought amsoil would have performed better.

Attachments

• E61751DC-182C-434B-9223-3B0BE04057CE.jpeg
    E61751DC-182C-434B-9223-3B0BE04057CE.jpeg
    181 KB · Views: 335
You ran the vehicle ragged in extreme conditions, ran a UOA, and the only issue is that the oil thickened up a tiny bit? Frankly, if I ran an OCI 6k miles, through "extreme cold/heat" towing 5,000 lbs through the mountains and I got your results, I'd stick with that oil. Heck, you could probably even extend it further. Seriously, Amsoil says virgin viscosity is 8.8, yours is 9.3 There's nothing here to worry about, but run whatever oil you like.

You ran the vehicle ragged in extreme conditions, ran a UOA, and the only issue is that the oil thickened up a tiny bit? Frankly, if I ran an OCI 6k miles, through "extreme cold/heat" towing 5,000 lbs through the mountains and I got your results, I'd stick with that oil. Heck, you could probably even extend it further. Seriously, Amsoil says virgin viscosity is 8.8, yours is 9.3 There's nothing here to worry about, but run whatever oil you like.
Appreciate the feedback. This is the first time I’ve done an OCA so I’m open to feedback/criticism. You are right though though the numbers do look good. I just was thinking that they recommend an OCI of 15k for extreme conditions and mine was at 6k. I don’t think it would have made it. Could run almost 3 Pennzoil Ultra Platinum oil changes for the price of 1 Amsoil SS oil change. The next OCA I’m doing is MOPAR to see any differences between amsoil and what is stock. Then I’ll do a test of the Pennzoil.

I totally agree.

Appreciate the feedback. This is the first time I’ve done an OCA so I’m open to feedback/criticism. You are right though though the numbers do look good. I just was thinking that they recommend an OCI of 15k for extreme conditions and mine was at 6k. I don’t think it would have made it. Could run almost 3 Pennzoil Ultra Platinum oil changes for the price of 1 Amsoil SS oil change. The next OCA I’m doing is MOPAR to see any differences between amsoil and what is stock. Then I’ll do a test of the Pennzoil.
A singular UOA isn't going to tell you much of anything. Looks like you still had solid TBN left, try extending it out and establish a pattern for wear, viscosity, etc. Or, just run a cheaper oil. Not my truck, so I'm not going to try to convince you to run any type of product. From this one UOA, everything looks good to me especially considering the circumstances, but I don't doubt that Pennzoil wouldn't work just fine as well.

A singular UOA isn't going to tell you much of anything. Looks like you still had solid TBN left, try extending it out and establish a pattern for wear, viscosity, etc. Or, just run a cheaper oil. Not my truck, so I'm not going to try to convince you to run any type of product. From this one UOA, everything looks good to me especially considering the circumstances, but I don't doubt that Pennzoil wouldn't work just fine as well.
Indeed. Blackstone themselves have stated that there is no statistically significant difference in UOA between any appropriately rated oil. It’s the wrong tool to see “which one worked better” than another despite people trying to do so all the time on here.

Indeed. Blackstone themselves have stated that there is no statistically significant difference in UOA between any appropriately rated oil. It’s the wrong tool to see “which one worked better” than another despite people trying to do so all the time on here.
So how would you go about seeing which one worked better?

How do you define better? TBN retention? That’s about all you can really see, and even that is becoming suspect these days as being non-linear. In terms of wear there is no easy way to determine that.
You are right. I guess I’m looking for the best oil that is also cost efficient.

You are right. I guess I’m looking for the best oil that is also cost efficient.
If you're going to operate in extreme conditions such as those you've previously described, really your two options are to just change a cheaper oil more often, or continue to run UOAs and see how far your current oil can go and then decide if that OCI length is long enough to justify costs. Either way, this UOA report looks really good, especially considering the driving conditions.

3.29 TBN and 9.3 cst at 100C? That's still within the specifications of a 20 grade oil, I hope you left it in so you could get your money's worth.

Also, what engine do you have?

3.29 TBN and 9.3 cst at 100C? That's still within the specifications of a 20 grade oil, I hope you left it in so you could get your money's worth.
What are the specifications of a 20 grade oil
Also, what engine do you have?
No the oil indicator on my dash said it was at 0% and time for an oil change. Just came back from a long off-roading trip.
What are the specifications of a 29 grade oil? Where could I find them?

That looks pretty darn good. I also own a Gladiator with 3.6L that gets some extreme use here in NV. In fact I was considering a 5w-30 in the summer because of the heat and hard use. That UOA is nice to see. Might have to consider renewing my Amsoil preferred customer membership.

I have to ask. Oil pan change? Find a rock?

I was getting the free oil changes from the dealership and they way over tightened the oil plug. Nothing could get it off and it eventually stripped. Even after I took the pan off, I couldn’t get the plug off.

Over the years I have always run higher end synthetics-boutique oils like Amsoil, Redline, and Motul. The only vehicle I truly ran extended oil drains was a 2004 Honda Accord where also installed bypass oil guard filter in it… Extended oil drains defined as 15-18 thousand miles…. Otherwise have rarely ran oil drain intervals past ten thousand miles….Ultimately feel the engine design in a gasoline engine makes the biggest impact on extended oil drains…. Would run an extended oil drain on any model of a Tacoma regardless of year and engine….Diesel engine designs are also important like Duramax Diesel has probably gotten the best oil analysis reports of had to pick one… the other main factor for Diesel engines is people who delete the emissions often and without question get the best oil analysis reports….
Over the last 20 years-would generally trust Amsoil of was running extended oil drains. My impression is the newest formula made for the lpsi engines-seems to start with a relatively lower total base number usually it seems to be between 9-10 as opposed to 12.5 indicated on website… and maybe my impression is wrong-but does seem to lose tbn way before the recommended 12500 miles, which is likely on website but haven’t checked in a few. Usually recommend the 25000 or one year of easy service or half that for severe…Also saw Amsoil advertised on a German Website and none of the Signature Series oils were listed as full synthetic-always forget the German term but begins with a V and recognize it when I see it… Motul’s 8100 oils also aren’t listed as pao synthetic either on the website.

Over the years I have always run higher end synthetics-boutique oils like Amsoil, Redline, and Motul. The only vehicle I truly ran extended oil drains was a 2004 Honda Accord where also installed bypass oil guard filter in it… Extended oil drains defined as 15-18 thousand miles…. Otherwise have rarely ran oil drain intervals past ten thousand miles….Ultimately feel the engine design in a gasoline engine makes the biggest impact on extended oil drains…. Would run an extended oil drain on any model of a Tacoma regardless of year and engine….Diesel engine designs are also important like Duramax Diesel has probably gotten the best oil analysis reports of had to pick one… the other main factor for Diesel engines is people who delete the emissions often and without question get the best oil analysis reports….
Over the last 20 years-would generally trust Amsoil of was running extended oil drains. My impression is the newest formula made for the lpsi engines-seems to start with a relatively lower total base number usually it seems to be between 9-10 as opposed to 12.5 indicated on website… and maybe my impression is wrong-but does seem to lose tbn way before the recommended 12500 miles, which is likely on website but haven’t checked in a few. Usually recommend the 25000 or one year of easy service or half that for severe…Also saw Amsoil advertised on a German Website and none of the Signature Series oils were listed as full synthetic-always forget the German term but begins with a V and recognize it when I see it… Motul’s 8100 oils also aren’t listed as pao synthetic either on the website.
Can you please post a link to that website?

Can you please post a link to that website?
This is where posted the website on here awhile back..

Have to keep the website in German and this is the key word used for an oil that used primarily pao basestocks

VollSynth​

I just looked at the website-the first oil I came across that had this was Ravenol 5w40….
Again think most manufacturers do not use primarily pao base stocks that includes Amsoil now… Many people will say does not matter… and they are probably right in many respects… Over the years I have bought into the notion wrong or right that I rather have the more expensive base stocks in oil, differential fluid, and transmission fluid that put in my car…

Back