Amsoil SS 0w-20 // 6371 miles // 2020 Honda Accord 2.0

I typically do all of my own maintenance using Kirkland full synthetic 0w-20 running 5000 mile OCI. In the winter months I use Amsoil SS so I can stretch the interval a little further and not have to craw under the car in the freezing cold. My question is looking at the TBN @ 2.2 after 6700 miles and Amsoil claims SS is good for up to 25k miles?
20230323_155714.jpg
20230323_155714.jpg

It is fine, but no victory. What drives your decision to use Amsoil? With all respect, I think the flashpoint is a bit of a concern and if this were my vehicle, would consider moving to a shorter OCI (4-5K) and maybe the Mobil 1 OW20 that says Honda on it -- or other mainstream full synthetic. I am assuming you want the car to go the distance, and the fact is that you have to make up for this engine'
s fuel dilution issues. IMHO, that's done be managing OCI's aggressively, and not using boutique oils.

It is fine, but no victory. What drives your decision to use Amsoil? With all respect, I think the flashpoint is a bit of a concern and if this were my vehicle, would consider moving to a shorter OCI (4-5K) and maybe the Mobil 1 OW20 that says Honda on it -- or other mainstream full synthetic. I am assuming you want the car to go the distance, and the fact is that you have to make up for this engine'
s fuel dilution issues. IMHO, that's done be managing OCI's aggressively, and not using boutique oils.
Also, no argument with the Kirkland oil.

It had just been a year since I had done an UOA. I drive about 26k a year. I had just a bit over 3 months on the oil in this sample.
For 3 months the TBN is low, so I suspect fuel is killing it. Otherwise, the report is fine. TBN could stay at 2 for quite a while.

Also, no argument with the Kirkland oil.
I do usually run 5000 mile OCI. The only time I stretch it out is in the very cold winter months because I do my own maintenance. I'm not married to Amsoil I just use it in the winter because it is supposed to be an extended performance oil. The 3 UOA I have done on this engine the flashpoint has been very close to the number. I think any small displacement DI turbocharged engine will have some degree of fuel dilution and I do intend to manage it the best I can with 5000 mile OCI's and on occasion do an oil analysis.

Fuel dilution is up. Black Stone isn't the best for testing for fuels. I would be you have at least 2% fuel dilution. No oil can compete with that. Keep changes at 5k I would say, until you can control the FD.

I typically do all of my own maintenance using Kirkland full synthetic 0w-20 running 5000 mile OCI. In the winter months I use Amsoil SS so I can stretch the interval a little further and not have to craw under the car in the freezing cold. My question is looking at the TBN @ 2.2 after 6700 miles and Amsoil claims SS is good for up to 25k miles?
View attachment 146450View attachment 146450
It's a turbo?
It's up to 15K miles.
Fuel => I suspect you have more fuel than a trace, maybe sometime during this interval it was higher.

I see no reason for any concern. Wear metals are not up, TBN and fuel dilution at these levels have not caused me any problems.
I'd just use Kirkland oil and avoid short trips in cold weather [longer drive once in a while].

7.87 viscosity @ 100C is not bad. I had it down to 6.4 on the same engine after only 3K miles. Fuel dilution is an issue in these engines, blackstone does not measure it accurately. I moved on to 5w-30. 0w-20 is not good for these engines.

not sure if you care, but your personal details are still very much visible.

My question is looking at the TBN @ 2.2 after 6700 miles and Amsoil claims SS is good for up to 25k miles?

We all know that Amsoil’s ridiculous one interval fits all claim of 25k miles is clearly bogus and this report is yet another nail in that Sludged up oil coffin. 🫣😬

There’s no way this oil will last another 19,000 miles in this engine (with at least SOME safety buffer leftover afterward) and live to talk about it. 🤣

Their rating only applies to a brand new Naturally Aspirated bulletproof Honda D Series engine from the mid 90s driven nonstop on the highway @ 60mph in 70F weather for the duration of the 25k miles with 1qt of fresh Amsoil added every 5k miles as it burns off.

Anything else will not make it 5x oil changes at 25k intervals. I don’t buy it. 😒🤦🏻‍♂️

Imo, no 25k oci for a direct injection engine on top of that, if it's not being driven and doesn't get up to temperature that too will drop the TBN.

7.87 viscosity @ 100C is not bad. I had it down to 6.4 on the same engine after only 3K miles. Fuel dilution is an issue in these engines, blackstone does not measure it accurately. I moved on to 5w-30. 0w-20 is not good for these engines.
I’m actually surprised that the viscosity didn’t shear as much using this oil. A lot of other reports I’ve seen show a number in the 6 range for viscosity including my own after just 2100 miles. I’m now using 5w30. But in a stock 2.0t Honda a quality 0w20 might actually be fine if changing the oil more frequently.

Amsoil never ever claimed this. Period.

Oh, my apologies… I forgot to include “up to” 25k miles under normal use.

I doubt the OP falls into the SEVERE duty as defined straight from the horse’s mouth ~~

• Severe Service – Up to 15,000 miles (24,140 km), 700 hours of operation or one year, whichever comes first. Severe service conditions include commercial or fleet vehicles; excessive idling; or frequent towing, hauling, plowing or driving in dusty conditions.

Would you run that oil an additional 6,000 miles with 2.2 TBN left? Even Blackstone isn’t crazy enough to suggest such a move.

Oh, my apologies… I forgot to include “up to” 25k miles under normal use.

I doubt the OP falls into the SEVERE duty as defined straight from the horse’s mouth ~~

• Severe Service – Up to 15,000 miles (24,140 km), 700 hours of operation or one year, whichever comes first. Severe service conditions include commercial or fleet vehicles; excessive idling; or frequent towing, hauling, plowing or driving in dusty conditions.

Would you run that oil an additional 6,000 miles with 2.2 TBN left? Even Blackstone isn’t crazy enough to suggest such a move.
Not so sure, we've seen oil stay at TBN 2.0 for LONG time. It may seem scary to you, but what are you basing this on? Simply that 2 is a relative low number? It's doesn't work like that.

@Pablo — I just don’t see how it’s possible for TBN to stabilize and not decrease even with mileage going up (TAN still being produced every time the engine is ran)

If it took 6,000 miles for TBN to get used up down to 2.0 how it is possible for a USED oil with LESS active additives vs when NEW to then last say an additional 6,000 miles?!?! 🤨 Seems like there’s a point when TAN would build up and start leaving deposits and the crazy part is… a UOA may show no increased wear in the report at the same time!! 😳😲

Back