Amsoil spec sheets and bottle labels do not agree??

Status
Not open for further replies.
After getting my shipment of 5W-30 ASL the other day I looked on the bottle labels and to my surprise the bottle label states that 5W-3-ASL is:
ACEA A3/B3 rated
Meets Mercedes 229.1 and 229.3 specs

I wonder why none of these ratings, since they are significant to demostrate an oil's quality, are seen anywhere on teh Amsoil web site or on the product data sheets?????????

I printed out their technical data sheet from their website earlier this year and under the 5w30 ASL they do list DB229.3 and 229.1, but they don't list ACEA A3/B3 though.

Also to be noted, the wording on the page says:

"Recommended for Applications Requring the Following Specifications" and then lists the specs below it.

Honestly though, I wouldn't worry about whether or not it lists it or not, since we do know it has what it takes to pass A3 specs.

Sorry Patman ...... I looked in the dealer zone at the product data bulletin and on their general product page for ASL ratings and it does not list DB 229.1 and 229.3, nor ACEA A3/B3 anywhere???!!!!

10W-30 ATM does list ACEA A3/B3 and DB 229.1 and 229.3, but ASL does not, except on the bottle as I stated in my original post.

.........just FYI ..... the ACEA rating system is here to review

www.acea.be/ACEA/20020618PublicationsOilSequences.pdf

[ November 07, 2003, 11:44 AM: Message edited by: Alex D ]

The data sheet is dated 10/01.

I know they recently updated (July 2003) the ASL and ATM cartons and bottle labels with the most up to date info. The data sheets have not kept pace. Since the bottle and cartons are what is seen by the customer, its probaly on the back burner to update the data sheet which is not as widely seen.

If you look at the ATM data sheet you will find what you are looking for;

API SL, SJ, CF • ILSAC GF-3, GF-2
• ACEA A2, A3, B2, B3
• Ford WSS-M2C153G
• GM 4718M
• Chrysler MS 10441, MS 6395H, MS 9754
• JASO VTW • VW 502.00, 505.00
• Daimler Chrysler 229.1, 229.3

[ November 07, 2003, 11:58 AM: Message edited by: Mike ]

Alex - honestly a good question. Seems like they've been randomly messing with the web site and then leaving it messed up. Sometimes the packaging is more up to date. MSparks and Tslick keep up better than I. I believe the container is correct.

I emailed Amsoil and told them that the S2k spec sheet was not up to date. The next few hours after recieving the email it was. They need to do a better job of keeping the websites up to date. I bet if you send them an email about this they will take care of it. The requirement for A3 is a HT/HS of 3.5 Amsoil ATM/ASL meet that requirement. Whether or not they paid to have it tested is another story. I personally belive there oils are A3 rated. S2k might not be at this point but it's pretty **** close.

Mike and all........
that's all fine and dandy ..... still, if you look today, the ASL data sheets and the ASL product page on the AMSOIL web site DO NOT show ACEA and DB 229.1/229.3 ratings for ASL anywhere. Period.

Whatever was in the past, they apparently took it off. Except off the bottle label.

So what is a consumer to think of that??
I find it surprising that a company that prides itself in top quality, is so inconsistent with its information. Don't get me wrong I like Amsoil products and believe they are high quality. I just think this kind of stuff should be accurate. Or is their webmaster asleep at the keyboard??

quote:

Originally posted by Mike:
The data sheet is dated 10/01.

I know they recently updated (July 2003) the ASL and ATM cartons and bottle labels with the most up to date info. The data sheets have not kept pace. Since the bottle and cartons are what is seen by the customer, its probaly on the back burner to update the data sheet which is not as widely seen.

If you look at the ATM data sheet you will find what you are looking for;

API SL, SJ, CF • ILSAC GF-3, GF-2
• ACEA A2, A3, B2, B3
• Ford WSS-M2C153G
• GM 4718M
• Chrysler MS 10441, MS 6395H, MS 9754
• JASO VTW • VW 502.00, 505.00
• Daimler Chrysler 229.1, 229.3

[ November 07, 2003, 12:09 PM: Message edited by: Alex D ]

I e-mailed the Amsoil web master......here is his response:

----------------------------------------------
Alexander:

Thanks for pointing this out. Our product data sheet for ASL has not been updated for awhile, and that is where I get my info to update the website. We will be updating our literature and web info to the new specs ASAP.

Tony Rogers
Webmaster
AMSOIL INC.
http://www.amsoil.com
[email protected]
---------------------------------------------

Alex,

The Amsoil 0w-30/5w-30/10w-30 were all reformulated a little over a year ago and upgraded to the ACEA A3/B3/B4 specification. Prior to that, only the Series 3000, 5w-30, 10w-40 and 20w-50 formulations met the ACEA A3/B3 specs.The latest formulation chemistry for the 5w-30 meets all the specs that are listed for the 10w-30. The 5w-30 and 10w-30 are always upgraded at the same time,since they use the same basic additive chemistry ....

The website is rarely kept up to date, but quite honestly 99% of the folks using Amsoil haven't got a clue what the European specs mean anyway.
smile.gif
The only folks who ever ask me about these are Internet customers! The quart and gallon bottles will normally show the latest specs - although Amsoil will use up any old product labels they have in their inventory before printing new ones.

New spec sheets are first posted in the dealers only section of the website ....

Ted
Dixie Synthetics

Ted,
I got your point. The thing that is just surprising to me is the fact that Amsoil's main business is specialty motoroil. An some of the best that can be had out there in my opinion. Therefore, if I would be owning that business, i would develop my web site to a portal for people who want to have their oilquestions answered or for oilnuts like us. iwould use the web site to market the **** out of my company, not with four ball wear tests, but with oil information I would gather from everywhere and anywhere I can. I think Amsoil is missing an opportunity with having their web site so basic. Labels and spec sheets not being updated is just flat out unacceptable if it were my company.
quote:

Originally posted by TooSlick:
Alex,

The Amsoil 0w-30/5w-30/10w-30 were all reformulated a little over a year ago and upgraded to the ACEA A3/B3/B4 specification. Prior to that, only the Series 3000, 5w-30, 10w-40 and 20w-50 formulations met the ACEA A3/B3 specs.The latest formulation chemistry for the 5w-30 meets all the specs that are listed for the 10w-30. The 5w-30 and 10w-30 are always upgraded at the same time,since they use the same basic additive chemistry ....

The website is rarely kept up to date, but quite honestly 99% of the folks using Amsoil haven't got a clue what the European specs mean anyway.
smile.gif
The only folks who ever ask me about these are Internet customers! The quart and gallon bottles will normally show the latest specs - although Amsoil will use up any old product labels they have in their inventory before printing new ones.

New spec sheets are first posted in the dealers only section of the website ....

Ted
Dixie Synthetics

Alex,

If you need an up to date spec for Amsoil in the future, drop me a line. I'll track it down for you ....I normally buy spec sheets for myself in packets of 25 every few months, so I generally have the up to date ones ....

I'd agree that the website should be more technical - I thought it was good when they posted the results of the triple length Sequence IIIF testing ,and the bench testing comparison to Mobil 1. The problem quite frankly is that most users of synthetic lubes don't understand most of these concepts ...
frown.gif

Ted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back