Amsoil Signature Series turbo testing confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,

I'm a little confused. My brother is an Amsoil Preferred Customer, so, he receives the Amsoil magazine in the mail. He is nice enough to let me read it. This latest copy has an article in it about the reformulated Signature Series motor oil. Amsoil is saying in the article that the Signature Series "protects turbochargers 72% better than required by GM DEXOS1 Gen 2."
It describes the test parameters in the GM Turbo Coking Test.
I understand all that.
What has me confused is that Amsoil has the picture of a Ford turbocharger in the article, and has a little box with the question, but, isn't this a Ford turbocharger, and Amsoil answer is yes, but, the test can be applied to all turbochargers.

It sounds as if and looks like Amsoil used a Ford turbocharger to run a GM turbo test?

What are the differences between the two turbochargers?

My first thought is that Amsoil chose the Ford turbocharger because it could be easier on the oil than the GM turbocharger. This would lead to better results for the test. Can someone who knows explain the differences between the turbochargers?

Thanks,

GM has a coking test to certify oils to be Dexos 1 Gen 2 certified. They can apply this test to any turbo charger. Doesn't need to be a GM engines turbo charger. They most likely had a Ford test engine with whatever turbo it has and applied the testing standard to it.

Amsoil signature series is not a licensed oil so they don't need to abide by the rules. That said they have built a huge company since the 1970's through word of mouth marketing so if they say it's true I would imagine it to be and have all the confidence in using their products.

Heck my $65,000 SUV which is still under warranty has signature series non-licensed 0w20 in the sump because I trust the company and have seen the results in other engines running it. Including my Santa Fe that went 535,000km (300K miles) not burning any oil.

Their technical line is excellent. I would send them an e-mail and ask your question as to why they used a turbo from a Ford and not a turbo from a GM for a GM Dexos test?
I bet they come back with that their test engine is a Ford and that's why. Here is their e-mail: [email protected]

They wouldn't say it was up to the task of Dexos 1 Gen 2 specs if it weren't IMO nor would they still be around since the 1970's if they were liars.
Heck they wouldn't be pushing 25,000 mile OCI's with a warranty backing it either.

Just my opinion though. Everyone here will have different views on this.

Last edited:
Just for bench testing purposes. GM and Ford don't make turbos could be a Garrett Honeywell BorgWarner Hitachi or even a Mitsubishi.

Amsoil is free to make any claim they want by their marketing dept.

Then too, a turbo is a turbo, is a turbo.
They all operate the same. Though I've heard of some Ford spec'd turbos
needing service in as little as 25,000 miles.

My 2¢

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back