Amsoil Signature Series 5w30 (SP)

Looks like another solid oil from Amsoil. Great additive pack.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220420-181822_Office.jpg
    Screenshot_20220420-181822_Office.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 1,007
Good chunk of moly!

Is it the traditional moly or the trinuclear type? which requires less but is as "effective" based on what I've read ... I see max of 80 with trinuclear if I'm not mistaken.

Does anyone know?

Pay $10 get 6 months preferred customer pricing. You get 25% off retail prices and reduced shipping rates even free on orders over $100. They run specials for free shipping on orders over $50.
Still over $11 a qt with preferred pricing, what benefits does the oil have vs off the shelf oils that would warrant paying that much extra? Most newer vehicles(GDI) can’t take advantage of the extended drain anyhow due to viscosity loss from fuel dilution

Still over $11 a qt with preferred pricing, what benefits does the oil have vs off the shelf oils that would warrant paying that much extra? Most newer vehicles(GDI) can’t take advantage of the extended drain anyhow due to viscosity loss from fuel dilution
There are a lot of good oils on the market now. Oil has really come a long way. I don't have a GDI engine but I also don't go past 7500 OCI. I use Signature Series because I get it at cost. It's probably overkill but I have wasted money on far less important things. I was just tossing a suggestion out to you on a way to save some money on Amsoil. Amsoil XL is a solid oil as well. I bought several NAPA oil analysis kits so I have been sending in oils for analysis for the forum. If I didn't use Amsoil, I would probably use the SP rated Quaker State Full Synthetic. I submitted a VOA for the forum and it looked pretty good.

Lots of metallic additives. There is no way this stuff will meet the sulphated ash limits for Dexos.

Looks like another solid oil from Amsoil. Great additive pack.
I noticed that on the upper left of the screen shot, it states new oil. Please correct if wrong, just going by what I can see. I have been testing a few different types:.........signature series, OE, and Napa is the last one tested. Per the Amsoil website, signature series should have a TBN of 12.5, once I can redact my personal info, I will post my tests showing Signature, OE and Napa. Is this test new oil? If not, how many miles at this sample?

I noticed that on the upper left of the screen shot, it states new oil. Please correct if wrong, just going by what I can see. I have been testing a few different types:.........signature series, OE, and Napa is the last one tested. Per the Amsoil website, signature series should have a TBN of 12.5, once I can redact my personal info, I will post my tests showing Signature, OE and Napa. Is this test new oil? If not, how many miles at this sample?
It was fresh out of the bottle.

Amsoil looks like they are taking the API gloves off and making sure their additive package constitutes a TBN of 12.5 compared to when they first moved away from heavy calcium to combination of calcium-magnesium….which seemed to produce a lower TBN compared to specification sheets on website…. Prefer a company like Amsoil to go above and beyond requirements and focus on engine protection for extended drain intervals… would feel more confident doing an extended drain with this oil and additive package.

Amsoil looks like they are taking the API gloves off and making sure their additive package constitutes a TBN of 12.5 compared to when they first moved away from heavy calcium to combination of calcium-magnesium….which seemed to produce a lower TBN compared to specification sheets on website…. Prefer a company like Amsoil to go above and beyond requirements and focus on engine protection for extended drain intervals… would feel more confident doing an extended drain with this oil and additive package.
Metallic additives are not the only answer to additizing (is that word?) an oil. Some other oils may appear "weaker" in a VOA but you are not seeing its entire composition.

Metallic additives are not the only answer to additizing (is that word?) an oil. Some other oils may appear "weaker" in a VOA but you are not seeing its entire composition.
I know you are correct on many different levels and as oil has evolved since the start of bitog-it has been more difficult to make value judgments based on virgin oil analysis. I also know TBN retention is more important than the actual starting number…

with all that said-I do look at the metallic additives and often times correlate them with having a more stout package… in the case of Amsoil-when they had tons of calcium the total base number most always matched their specification sheet usually around 12…

When Amsoil went with the newer calcium-usually around 1200-1300 and magnesium-around 700…. It seemed like every TBN was about 9 on the virgin oil analysis… I did equate that with the reduction of metallic additives…. Now in this newest virgin oil analysis-the metallic additives are notably higher like 1500-calcium to 1000 magnesium… and the base number matched the higher one on the product data…. This led me to think that Amsoil increases the metallic additive package to insure the higher starting TBN…
I agree with your point earlier that the api limits of sulphur would be exceeded-which for me is the reason Amsoil/Redline exist-Redline basically has looked similar since the beginning of bitog…. High calcium moly zzdp… Amsoil changes their metallic addictive package and the latest one probably matched other oils more closely than in the past… they seemed to initially make it a little highe-but this latest one seems like they just went back to their roots and said let’s not try to make it close to limits-let’s go over to make sure extended drains are priority…
I wrote this because also noticed with the newer formulation and relatively lower starting TBN-used oil analysis of under ten thousand were showing very low TBN that suggested could not have gone much further…. Sorry to ramble because ultimately know that my lack of chemical acumen hinders my ability to truly understand formulations especially those that look weaker on paper-like the latest one done on here with Mobil - ep and ep high mileage that have a starting TBN under 7…. Can’t see how could last that long…

Last edited:
I know you are correct on many different levels and as oil has evolved since the start of bitog-it has been more difficult to make value judgments based on virgin oil analysis. I also know TBN retention is more important than the actual starting number…

with all that said-I do look at the metallic additives and often times correlate them with having a more stout package… in the case of Amsoil-when they had tons of calcium the total base number most always matched their specification sheet usually around 12…

When Amsoil went with the newer calcium-usually around 1200-1300 and magnesium-around 700…. It seemed like every TBN was about 9 on the virgin oil analysis… I did equate that with the reduction of metallic additives…. Now in this newest virgin oil analysis-the metallic additives are notably higher like 1500-calcium to 1000 magnesium… and the base number matched the higher one on the product data…. This led me to think that Amsoil increases the metallic additive package to insure the higher starting TBN…
I agree with your point earlier that the api limits of sulphur would be exceeded-which for me is the reason Amsoil/Redline exist-Redline basically has looked similar since the beginning of bitog…. High calcium moly zzdp… Amsoil changes their metallic addictive package and the latest one probably matched other oils more closely than in the past… they seemed to initially make it a little highe-but this latest one seems like they just went back to their roots and said let’s not try to make it close to limits-let’s go over to make sure extended drains are priority…
I wrote this because also noticed with the newer formulation and relatively lower starting TBN-used oil analysis of under ten thousand were showing very low TBN that suggested could not have gone much further…. Sorry to ramble because ultimately know that my lack of chemical acumen hinders my ability to truly understand formulations especially those that look weaker on paper-like the latest one done on here with Mobil - ep and ep high mileage that have a starting TBN under 7…. Can’t see how could last that long…
Without opening a can of worms, I'll just say that Amsoil's formulation approach differs from most of the major blenders who are advertising a similarly long drain guarantee. And different is not always "better."

Without opening a can of worms, I'll just say that Amsoil's formulation approach differs from most of the major blenders who are advertising a similarly long drain guarantee. And different is not always "better."
No fishing here so no worms☺️… I can appreciate that and I often debate when I use Redline in some of my cars… that being said I do like the choice of having a boutique oil and have always run either Amsoil or redline in transmission… have Mobil 1 0w20 extended high mileage in 2012 Prius V that bought used-and messaged you about-have added redline 5w20 to top off during oil drain…. Knock on wood haven’t had oil consumption issues with the vehicle… yet… but would be reluctant to have oil with very high metallic additives in car if began to have those issues….at same time-I have been religiously running conservative oil drains with this vehicle because of reported consumption issues and egr problems.

once i can figure out how to do it, but I has had 3 trests done on my 6.0 vortec, and the results were surprising. Amsoil sig series, OE, and Napa synthetic, all with similar usage time and mileage.

Back