Amsoil signature series 5W30 in a Xterra OCI?

Been trying Amsoil signature 5W30 in my 2014 Xterra with the 4.0 VQ40DE V-6. How long would you say a extended OCI would be? manual has recommended 5k OCI's from Nissan long as I can remember. I'm running a K&N oil filter and I'm at 6k miles atm.

In all honesty, the only way to know would be to trend it with a series of analyses. If this is your first run on Amsoil Sig. Series then you might want to pay close attention to things in case the engine was dirty. Possibly do a analysis along with a filter change just out of curiosity.

Here's what it looks like. Getting pretty dark, I think my engine is just rough on oil and my stock airbox isn't really that freat at filtering out contaminants.

Attachments

• IMG_20211120_100205.jpg
    IMG_20211120_100205.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
Don't go by color. Only a UOA will tell you. I don't think the 4.0 is hard on oil. It's possible you could get 10k+/year.

Don't go by color. Only a UOA will tell you. I don't think the 4.0 is hard on oil. It's possible you could get 10k+/year.
In all honesty, the only way to know would be to trend it with a series of analyses.
These posts have it. Do a UOA, and leave the oil in pending results.

5.000 miles is usually nothing for Amsoil, especially in a port injected engine.

10,000 miles is probably conservative for the oil in a good running engine with out mechanical problems or a really severe operating conditions. The UOA is a good chunk of money towards the next oil change.

The Amsoil warranty applies to their top-of-the-line, 100% synthetic "Signature Series motor oil (a combination of Class IV and Class V chemically-engineered synthesized base oil)" to effectively last 25,000 miles or one year (whichever comes first) operated under “normal driving conditions” **OR** a maximum of 15,000 miles or one year operated under “severe driving conditions,” (the terms “normal” and “severe” are defined by your owner's manual of your vehicle). **Important: Amsoil's synthetic oil filters (Amsoil produces an "EA" oil filter designed to last 15,000 miles and a larger capacity EAO that lasts for 25,000 miles) that are both designed to capture 99% of contaminants down to 20 Microns in size (contrast that to Mobil 1 oil filters that only capture 99% of contaminants down to 30 Microns in size). Amsoil website would state which particular oil filter your vehicle will accept. Amsoil also sells WIX Oil Filters that last 12,000 miles.

Obviously, if your vehicle's mileage is considered to be normal driving conditions and your mileage is high enough to achieve 25,000 miles, you can safely extend the OCI to 25,000 miles, but the oil filter would have to changed more often, if you do not have the EAO filter. In case you have the EA filter, be sure to change it at 12,500, if you intend to travel 25,000 miles on the OCI. In case you have the WIX filter, be sure to change it at 12,000, if you intend to travel the distance up to 24,000 miles on the OCI. If you have any other oil filter that isn't designed for extended use, you should replace it even sooner.

My son travels between 18,000 and 23,000 miles per year and operates on a 12 month OCI using Amsoil's Signature Series motor oil and a EAO filter on a Ford Taurus. I also have a customer-friend that travels about 25,000 miles per year on a Subaru Impreza using Amsoil's Signature Series motor oil and a EA filter with a yearly OCI, except he replaces his oil filters mid-cycle and at the time of the OCI (he is lucky that his oil filter on his Impeza is located on top of his engine to make changing filters very convenient). Both gentlemen are extremely satisfied with these products over the years with a boost in performance, increased MPG and quieter engines.
Thanks for that sales announcement.

The Amsoil warranty applies to their top-of-the-line, 100% synthetic "Signature Series motor oil (a combination of Class IV and Class V chemically-engineered synthesized base oil)" to effectively last 25,000 miles or one year (whichever comes first) operated under “normal driving conditions” **OR** a maximum of 15,000 miles or one year operated under “severe driving conditions,” (the terms “normal” and “severe” are defined by your owner's manual of your vehicle). **Important: Amsoil's synthetic oil filters (Amsoil produces an "EA" oil filter designed to last 15,000 miles and a larger capacity EAO that lasts for 25,000 miles) that are both designed to capture 99% of contaminants down to 20 Microns in size (contrast that to Mobil 1 oil filters that only capture 99% of contaminants down to 30 Microns in size). Amsoil website would state which particular oil filter your vehicle will accept. Amsoil also sells WIX Oil Filters that last 12,000 miles.

Obviously, if your vehicle's mileage is considered to be normal driving conditions and your mileage is high enough to achieve 25,000 miles, you can safely extend the OCI to 25,000 miles, but the oil filter would have to changed more often, if you do not have the EAO filter. In case you have the EA filter, be sure to change it at 12,500, if you intend to travel 25,000 miles on the OCI. In case you have the WIX filter, be sure to change it at 12,000, if you intend to travel the distance up to 24,000 miles on the OCI. If you have any other oil filter that isn't designed for extended use, you should replace it even sooner.

My son travels between 18,000 and 23,000 miles per year and operates on a 12 month OCI using Amsoil's Signature Series motor oil and a EAO filter on a Ford Taurus. I also have a customer-friend that travels about 25,000 miles per year on a Subaru Impreza using Amsoil's Signature Series motor oil and a EA filter with a yearly OCI, except he replaces his oil filters mid-cycle and at the time of the OCI (he is lucky that his oil filter on his Impeza is located on top of his engine to make changing filters very convenient). Both gentlemen are extremely satisfied with these products over the years with a boost in performance, increased MPG and quieter engines.

You can get by without a UOA if we know some basics.
How is the vehicle driven and is it in a good state of tune ( MPG and torque as rated )?
What is the Ambient temperature where it is driven.
How many miles a month and typical daily trip length one way and average speed.

Ken

Been trying Amsoil signature 5W30 in my 2014 Xterra with the 4.0 VQ40DE V-6. How long would you say a extended OCI would be? manual has recommended 5k OCI's from Nissan long as I can remember. I'm running a K&N oil filter and I'm at 6k miles atm.
You can get by without performing a used oil analysis if we know some basics:

1) How is the vehicle driven and 2) is it in a good state of tune ( MPG and torque as rated )?
3) What is the ambient temperature where it is driven.
4) How many miles a month and typical daily trip length one way and average speed

Here's what it looks like. Getting pretty dark, I think my engine is just rough on oil and my stock airbox isn't really that freat at filtering out contaminants.
I've noticed that Amsoil, like PP and Rotella, does a lot of cleaning the first time you use it. So that may account for the fast color change. I did double the OEM OCI when I ran it exclusively in my older Mercedes. Got to 348k miles without burning oil before the body started going. Not a recommendation btw. I was a fanboy, but the Amsoil for my current MB has the standard 10k OCI that all the regular oils do. So I'm a dedicated Castrol at half the price for the same miles guy now.

EMT_760
You're getting some Sage advice from this Board, as there is a Wealth of Information.
Amsoil SS is 25k mile Oil under normal conditions.
I would start by getting a better filter than K&N. Amsoil, M1, Bosch, etc.
To keep the math easy start with a 10k mile OCI and get an Oil Analysis.
If everything looks good increase by 2500 miles and get an Oil Analysis.
Keep increasing your OCI until the Oil Analysis tells you differently.
I've personally been running Amsoil SS for the last 220k miles with a BMK 23-EA Amsoil Dual Bypass System. ( I ran M1 for the 1st 100k miles)
I've been running 25k+ OCI'S for the last 6 yrs/220k miles.
I've run Oil Analysis 14 times. I'm pretty dialed in on this Oil/Engine.
Now I get the Oil tested just to check the wear metals, coolant leaks, etc. The TBN is pretty predictable.
I'm currently at 321k miles and going strong.
Good Luck with your decision(s), and I look forward to you posting your results!

Back