AMSOIL Signature series 5w-30 group test...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

Originally Posted By: zpinch
If I'm not mistaken, It is Mobil1 oils that have returned high iron readings in UOA?

This was my question; "Please define what you mean by "high Iron readings", and how a single pass "simple" UOA may be definitive in such wear?"

You haven't answered it yet, please oblige

View Mr. Pinch's posting history, I think you will see a theme.

And you really are expecting a cogent answer from Mr. Pinch?

Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
Hi,

Originally Posted By: zpinch
If I'm not mistaken, It is Mobil1 oils that have returned high iron readings in UOA?

This was my question; "Please define what you mean by "high Iron readings", and how a single pass "simple" UOA may be definitive in such wear?"

You haven't answered it yet, please oblige

Hi Doug,

The whole high iron thing with primarily the SM M1 5W-30 grade is ancient history based on higher than average Fe levels in some UOAs. As you know it was never established if the few extra ppms of Fe was a reflection of actual engine wear or was even statistically significant but some BITOG members made a big thing about it. Just another example of the misuse of UOA.
It is no longer an issue with Mobils' current line of oils but their reputation did take a hit
because of it on BITOG.

Amsoil never seems to lose. Oh but it is always their test. I'm asing Mobil 1 10-30 for 75000 miles no issues. Changing at 12000. Thinking of going to M1 10-40 HM.

Hi,
CATERHAM - Of course after 10 years or so on BITOG I'm very aware of these matters. My point is that even with m1 5W-30 SM and with any other lubricant - single pass UOAs are quite meaningless in substantiating wear levels!!

We continually have people posting here (mainly newbies) trying to establish meaningful points about lubricants and wear rates, sadly without any supporting data

As you know I ran my expensive engines for millions of kms with OCIs established around Fe at 150ppm as one condemnation point. These engines were torn down at around 1.2m kms and measured up with virtually no measurable wear!!

sadly we still continue to see misleading comments made on BITOG about lubricants of any Brand when comparative UOAs sometimes from different sources have only say 5-30ppm variance without any semblance of accurate comparison - or any evidence of excessive wear.

It is meaningless stuff!

It is also confusing to people accessing this wonderful website!!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rokwldr
Amsoil never seems to lose. Oh but it is always their test. I'm asing Mobil 1 10-30 for 75000 miles no issues. Changing at 12000. Thinking of going to M1 10-40 HM.

Doesn't look like they never lose...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back