Amsoil Signature for 15k hard use?5w-20 Ford Tauru

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just orderd 6 qt's of Amsoil Sign. Series 5w-20 for my 2010 Ford Taurus and one of their extend drain oil filters. I drive primarily short trips and live in the North so the low temp properties really drew me to this oil. Going by Amsoil's severe service schedule, 15,000 mile OCI is what I'll go with I guess.

Throt

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't see any evidence of how dumb you are, yet. :]

What's the factory OCI? With frequent short trips, you'll want to run shorter, not longer -- even with as good an oil-and-filter combo as that.

Factory is 7500.

But if that is with just plain old oils, I don't see why a top tier oil such as Amsoil wouldn't be able to double that. Amsoil claims 25,000 drain intervals or 15,000 for severe service, which is the category I fall into with frequent short trips under 10 miles.

Or do you not agree?

Opinions always welcomed.

Throt

I dont see anything wrong with it as long as your intentions are to prolong another oil change until warm weather arrives.

It probably wasn't the best use of your money. The OEM is allowing for 7500 miles on a conventional or syn-blend that meets Ford specifications.

If you want to go the extended drain route, then Mobil 1 EP would "claim" the same 15,000 mile interval for a fraction of the cost....if purchased from Walmart.

Gets pretty cold in your area, going to be hard to get the oil hot enough, in winter, running short trips, to get the moisture evaporated/boiled off. I would spend the money & do a UOA at 7500 & see how the oil is handling your usage. That's how I found out my xB, in a similar short-trip scenario, sheared down M1 AFE 0W30 badly in 7K, but M1 EP could handle 10K in good shape.

Originally Posted By: Throt
Just orderd 6 qt's of Amsoil Sign. Series 5w-20 for my 2010 Ford Taurus and one of their extend drain oil filters. I drive primarily short trips and live in the North so the low temp properties really drew me to this oil. Going by Amsoil's severe service schedule, 15,000 mile OCI is what I'll go with I guess.

Throt

You are very... I'll PM my address so you can send the oil to me so you are not tempted to use it, keep the filter! All kidding aside, Why do you thing you are dumb? there is no perfect oil for anybody, that is a good combination I personally use Amsoil signature oils, but in your case I might think of using a cheaper synthetic and a cheaper but good oil filter, the short cycles creates more than extra acids so a high TBN is not a guarantee that it will hold under those conditions; I would try something like Castrol Edge with Titanium in that viscosity and a Fram ultra filter changing it more frequently; but, like I said that is my opinion and your choice shows thought so your guess it is as good as mine.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
It probably wasn't the best use of your money. The OEM is allowing for 7500 miles on a conventional or syn-blend that meets Ford specifications.

If you want to go the extended drain route, then Mobil 1 EP would "claim" the same 15,000 mile interval for a fraction of the cost....if purchased from Walmart.

I'm with this! BUT I's do a UOA at 8k. Would make me feel good.

I don't care if that stuff is made from angel tears or not, I wouldn't leave it in nearly that long if you do a lot of short trips in cold weather. Never getting the oil really heated up is terrible on the motor and how long will it take to go 15k miles?

I was under the impression that Amsoil's 'low temperature properties' weren't as good as some of the syns with higher VI's.

Personally, I think Mobil 1 0w20 is a better deal even though Amsoil is a great oil.

While I don't think you're dumb, there's just no way I could leave the oil in for 15,000 miles...that's 24,000km!! Maybe in a taxi or something, but not in my daily driver. Then again, perhaps I'm the dumb one!

Not worth worrying for the last 3,000 miles whether you are doing the right thing.

I would have bought the 0w20 since it gets pretty cold there and 15,000 sounds like a little too much for my taste. I'd do 10,000 miles.

Factory is 7500.

But if that is with just plain old oils, I don't see why a top tier oil such as Amsoil wouldn't be able to double that. Amsoil claims 25,000 drain intervals or 15,000 for severe service, which is the category I fall into with frequent short trips under 10 miles.

Or do you not agree?

Throt

I would use any of the Walmart synthetics and run them 7500.

Originally Posted By: The Critic

I read that post and got a visual of varnish stains.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Gets pretty cold in your area, going to be hard to get the oil hot enough, in winter, running short trips, to get the moisture evaporated/boiled off. I would spend the money & do a UOA at 7500 & see how the oil is handling your usage. That's how I found out my xB, in a similar short-trip scenario, sheared down M1 AFE 0W30 badly in 7K, but M1 EP could handle 10K in good shape.

that is great advice! I second this for sure.

Sounds like a good idea, but only a UOA can tell you for sure how it is holding up.

I would sample at 7500 and leave it in, extending according to the results.

UOAs to support extended drain intervals are a good idea if it is cost effective.
Chevron offers free UOAs with the purchase of their new 15W30 HDMO.
That is a win-win for both the end user and Chevron.
Chevron gets field testing almost for free, and the truckers get a value added product.

Factory is 7500.

Or do you not agree?

Throt

Perhaps I'm missing something here (won't be e first time), but If your trips are always short, is there any good reason you can't let the car warm up better before you drive a single inch ? ? ? The oil won't care if it's warmed up while the car is sitting still, or going down the road. If you want to treat the engine like a disposable Kleenex that's your business. Changing the oil more often if you have a lot of short trips may help the enigine somewhat, but don't kid yourself, you are still getting a SUBSTANTIAL WEAR from your driving habits. You could mitigate 99% of that wear by letting your engine warn up to the point where the coolant thermostat opens before you move an inch. My car's engines have an average age of 52 years. And I drive them hard. But where it comes to lubrication, I make sure they are babied, and that means don't drive off in a car with a cold engine.

Z

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back