Amsoil Signature for 15k hard use?5w-20 Ford Tauru

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: zray
Originally Posted By: Throt
Factory is 7500.

But if that is with just plain old oils, I don't see why a top tier oil such as Amsoil wouldn't be able to double that. Amsoil claims 25,000 drain intervals or 15,000 for severe service, which is the category I fall into with frequent short trips under 10 miles.

Or do you not agree?

Opinions always welcomed.

Throt

Perhaps I'm missing something here (won't be e first time), but If your trips are always short, is there any good reason you can't let the car warm up better before you drive a single inch ? ? ? The oil won't care if it's warmed up while the car is sitting still, or going down the road. If you want to treat the engine like a disposable Kleenex that's your business. Changing the oil more often if you have a lot of short trips may help the enigine somewhat, but don't kid yourself, you are still getting a SUBSTANTIAL WEAR from your driving habits. You could mitigate 99% of that wear by letting your engine warn up to the point where the coolant thermostat opens before you move an inch. My car's engines have an average age of 52 years. And I drive them hard. But where it comes to lubrication, I make sure they are babied, and that means don't drive off in a car with a cold engine.

Z

Not many here will agree with this philosophy. Letting your car warm up by idling prolongs the period of supposed highest wear, which occurs while the engine is warming up.

There is no better way to warm up an engine than by driving it.

No matter how you look it, however, short trips are not ideal.

Originally Posted By: used_0il
With the 55 year old 427 Ford FE engines ZRAY is referring to, the idle is the entertainment.
The hood hinges are the wear item.

you busted me ! ha ha. the 289's and 427's are very entertaining, even sitting still.

Re: idling:

I was a little hasty,

I don't exactly mean "idle" the same way y'all do. In my little world, Idling means "no load on the engine, varying the RPM constantly, and ever increasingly as the motor gets warmer. I will always maintain that any engine will last longer if the load is zero or very slight until they are completely at operational temperature.

You guys with EFI and computers have the engine management system helping you a bit while the engine is cold. I don't drive anything made after 1966 (by choice) so I wouldn't EVER drive off with a cold engine. Too much wear. Even when I am forced to drive a modern car, I still wouldn't drive off until the motor warmed up, by my definition of idle that is.

my 289 K code: ( see the worn out hood hinges )

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
Letting your car warm up by idling prolongs the period of supposed highest wear, which occurs while the engine is warming up.

Exactly.

Not only the period of highest wear, but also the period of highest fuel dilution.

I always look at this as risk/reward.

A more frequent OCI always wins.

Just me, but I'd be on a 7,500 mi. OCI with a high quality filter and M1EP.

Some folks here on BITOG use this combination regularly to 10,000 miles without any problems whatsoever.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Originally Posted By: gathermewool
Letting your car warm up by idling prolongs the period of supposed highest wear, which occurs while the engine is warming up.

Exactly.

Not only the period of highest wear, but also the period of highest fuel dilution.

Like this ? This is what you get when 8 accelerator pump nozzles let loose on a cold engine.

A/F ratio gauges are a godsend when you have 4 vintage Weber 48 IDA carbs, & very addictive,.

Last edited:
Not sure that's a good comparison to a direct-injected engine from 50 years later, but yes, that's the music of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back