AMSoil Signature / AMSoil European - 5-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
New to your forum. I spent an hour searching and didn't find much AMSoil Euro or Signature information. If there's and existing thread speaking to N54s, please send me a link.

2008 BMW 335xi E92 sport with FBO (full bolt-ons) minus turbo inlets. The car makes 420 last dyno 3 months ago. My local shops are all over the board on oil recommendations. I've been using Amsoil European 5.40 but see that Amsoil Signature appears to be a better choice. N54s run hot (240 is normal operating temperature, too f*cking hot), I run a CSF Street radiator, a low-temperature oil cooler thermostat and in the summer I set MHD to track cooling which runs the fan pretty much constantly and am known to use an oil cooler thermostat delete. As a result, I maintain oil temperatures less than 210F in >100F weather.

All that said, looking to make the best long term wear oil choice. I change it early and often (2-2,500 miles). Just a street racer, not tracking it.

335xi-NoPlate.jpg

20200120_114435.jpg

Originally Posted by 335xiE92FBO
All that said, looking to make the best long term wear oil choice. I change it early and often (2-2,500 miles). Just a street racer, not tracking it.

First off, nice car. But you won't see a difference in wear using one oil over another unless it is entirely inappropriate for the engine in question, especially if you are trying to measure it via a UOA (even more so at your OCI). With an appropriate oil, wear is much more influenced by outside factors such as dirt intrusion via the intake system.

Since neither one of the oils you list have the required specification for your vehicle then I would suggest you use the one Amsoil recommends, which I'm guessing is the European Car Formula 5W-40. What would indicate that the Signature Series is better?

One of the reasons you may not see a lot of BMW users using Amsoil is that it does not carry any BMW approvals. But the EFM and AFL do have Porsche A40 approval which is a very demanding approval.

Fuel dilution was allegedly an issue with the N54 and consequently Terry Dyson (former forum sponsor and tribologist) at the time was recommending an extremely short interval. I don't see why any ACEA A3/B4 on your 2k OCI would not be adequate.

Your power levels aren't an issue. BMW is running oils LL01FE(A5/B5) with an HTHS of 3.0 on engines making well over 420 hp. That's lower than the A3/B4 (LL01, A40, 229.5) which have a HTHS of 3.5 or more.

Last edited:
Ravenol if you want certifications and Red Line if you want the best oil for heat and shear imo.

Do you have updated injectors? I would definitely do UOA not bcs. of wear numbers, but to see what is actual fuel dilution, remaining TBN etc.
As for Amsoil, you can definitely run it, but IMO, any LL01 or MB229.5 oil will cut it.
I just got at the Advance Auto Parts Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W40 on sale for my 328. $33 for 5qt plus filter (though I got filter for my minivan).

Last edited:
Originally Posted by kschachn
Originally Posted by 335xiE92FBO

First off, nice car. But you won't see a difference in wear using one oil over another unless it is entirely inappropriate for the engine in question, especially if you are trying to measure it via a UOA (even more so at your OCI). With an appropriate oil, wear is much more influenced by outside factors such as dirt intrusion via the intake system.

Since neither one of the oils you list have the required specification for your vehicle then I would suggest you use the one Amsoil recommends, which I'm guessing is the European Car Formula 5W-40. What would indicate that the Signature Series is better?

One of the reasons you may not see a lot of BMW users using Amsoil is that it does not carry any BMW approvals. But the EFM and AFL do have Porsche A40 approval which is a very demanding approval.

+1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back