Amsoil Signature 5W30; 9820 miles on oil, 2016 Kia Forte

Is no one going to mention the potassium? Combined with the sodium increase, we might be seeing the beginning stages of a head gasket going out. For sure something to monitor closely until you know for sure one way or the other.

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^.

Is a very real possibility here…

I don’t think or believe potassium is floating around in regular atmospheric conditions….

No, I think the world is down with a TBN of 3.0 indicating time to change the oil. Also, not understanding the need for boutique oil in a prosaic car (where Mobil 1, Castrol, Pennzoil, QS would deliver all day long). Also, not getting reusing filters. While we are here, the economics of performing oil change analysis on this higher-mileage, econo sled are confusing.
When did the negative attitudes start creeping in on this site?

Oh, this is the norm since I've been here. There's always someone to poo-poo a comment. I think people just like the idea that they are bursting your bubble.
Haha, yeah that sounds right.....lines up with the rest of society at the moment!

You guys are alright in my books

Lol. Maybe thats part of the problem.
I commented on the TBN level, the lack of need for boutique oils and my suggestion that using a filter for two oil cycles is a not advisable. The original poster commented with polite discourse in response to my note. Discussion on oil decisions and other maintenence items, even when one disagrees, is not negativity. Now, I was responding to a person who was suggesting that a 12K OCI in a Kia Forte somehow was advisable, and throwing out a TBN level to make the case. I did say "no" to that idea, and stand by it. I think my ideas are thoughtful and backed by facts. Again, no offense intended, but BITOG needs to go back to a place where matters can be discussed, even debated.

Back