Amsoil shelf life

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a quick question

I use the Amsoil MCV 20w50 in my motorbikes Kawasaki VN 2000 and Suzuki VL 800 volusia

I would change the oil pretty regularly but in 2010 I suffered an injury that wont allow me to ride my bikes

My mate rides them occasionally with his wife and they are now due for a change when I did the changes I bought the MCV 20w50 in bulk as it was hard to get here in Queensland Australia at the time
I have 1 unopened Gallon pack of the MCV 20w50 that I have had for 5 years its been in a cool dark place just wondering if its okay to use or should I throw it out and buy some new stuff

Good to go! I buy Amsoil a few cases at a time, and all I do is give it a good shake before I pour it in. The only reason I shake it is just in case any additive has fallen out of suspension during storage.

As a retired plastic packaging engineer I can tell you that the bottle is the weak link in long term stability. As the plastic ages, very tiny stress cracks form which makes a weakness in the bottle. After the cracks form, it takes surprisingly little disruption to open the crack. Even moving the cases from one place to another can do it. A small oil leak in a bottle causes a real mess as most of us know.

Best thing to do is keep them in the corrugated shipper,away from sunlight,in a place with relatively consistent temperatures and they will keep. If you see a leak on the corrugated box just transfer the oil to other containers.

I read an analysis on this site of oil that was in a car for 10 years or so and was not driven. The analysis showed that all of the oil was exactly the same as the day it was produced. So much for the myth of "change your oil every year regardless of mileage".

Originally Posted By: KW
Good to go! I buy Amsoil a few cases at a time, and all I do is give it a good shake before I pour it in. The only reason I shake it is just in case any additive has fallen out of suspension during storage.

I agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back