Amsoil Severe Gear

I'm getting ready to change gear lub on my 2001 GT Mustang Auto. using Amsoil 75W-140 Seare Gear. Due I need to add a limited slip additive. Thanks Dave

Quote:
Due I need to add a limited slip additive.
Only if both conditions are present: 1--your differential has a clutch-type limited slip unit --AND-- 2--the new gear oil does not have the LSD additive already mixed in at the factory.

Originally Posted By: Ken2
Quote:
Do I need to add a limited slip additive.
Only if both conditions are present: 1--your differential has a clutch-type limited slip unit --AND-- 2--the new gear oil does not have the LSD additive already mixed in at the factory.
...or 3--your clutch pack type limited slip still "chatters"/"clunks"/"creaks" coasting around slow, tight turns (as in a parking lot), even if your gear oil claims to already have the additive in it. wink

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
The amsoil stuff does.
I do not see that on the Amsoil website. In fact, they offer an additive "if you need one". Can you explain further please.

AMSOIL Severe Gear is compatible with most limited-slip differentials. If limited-slip differential chatter occurs, add AMSOIL Slip-Lock™ friction modifier additive. I bought a 4oz tube of the Slip-Lock just in case...But I didn't need it... With the (EP) Gear Lube 75W-140 (SVO) in my Ford 10.50 rear end... I think it all depends on the condition of your limited slip clutches...

Originally Posted By: -SyN-
AMSOIL Severe Gear is compatible with most limited-slip differentials. If limited-slip differential chatter occurs, add AMSOIL Slip-Lock™ friction modifier additive. I bought a 4oz tube of the Slip-Lock just in case...But I didn't need it... With the (EP) Gear Lube 75W-140 (SVO) in my Ford 10.50 rear end... I think it all depends on the condition of your limited slip clutches...
Sometimes even the material from which those clutches are made.