Amsoil Severe Gear 75W-90 and Limited Slip Diffs

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I have a 2006 Nissan Pathfinder 4x4 with a limited slip differential and I was thinking about using Amsoil Severe Gear 75W-90 in it.

Is there any need to add any kind of additional LSD additive or will the Amsoil 75W-90 be sufficient by itself?

Thanks for any advice.

Should work fine by itself.

Wow! Registered in October of 2007 and this is your first post, where have you been?
welcome2.gif

I've been using this exact oil in the LSD of my 2006 Toyota Tundra Double-Cab 4WD.

I experienced noise/chatter when starting off from a stop with the wheels turned.

I added one 4-Oz bottle of the Amsoil LSD additive, and this noise/chatter no longer occurs.

Interestingly, my LSD takes nearly 5-quarts of fluid to fill it up - one of the larger capacities I have seen...

I ran it for 4 yrs in the LSD in my 2005 Cadillac CTS. Before using it the dealer had changed the fluid 2x in the first 2,000 miles on the GM stuff. The 1st time was around 500 miles, the rear end was banging and chattering with the oem gear lube. According to a bulletin the dealer showed me the GM synthetic gear was a Texaco product at the time. I knew I was going to put in the SVG but only went back to the dealer the 2nd time to get it on record that it was making noise again with the GM gear lube. The dealer staff just said it was normal but they changed it again as a good will gesture to the customer and wrote that on the warranty invoice.

The last time I drove the 100 miles home, put car on ramps and put in the SVG and never had another noise from the rear axle in the next 3.5 yrs. Traded it in in Jan 09 for a new CTS4.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Now I decided to make my first post. Hello everyone.

Wow! Registered in October of 2007 and this is your first post, where have you been?
welcome2.gif

OF COURSE it'll work! It's Amsoil after all- works in everything, everywhere, any time, regardless of make, model, application, race, religion, or sexual orientation. Meets or exceeds them ALL.

Why even bother to ask?

Differential, Rear .....GL-5[3]
All Temps......75W-90
Severe Gear 75W-90
SAE 75W-90 Synthetic Gear Lube
Severe Gear 75W-110

3. Synthetic oil is required.

No mention of a friction modifier being required ..and no mention of a LS option. This LS feature must not require it ..like a Detroit TruTrak doesn't require it. It's not a clutch type mechanism.

I use the 75w-140 in my rear differential. It is a clutch type LSD ...and it feels sorta like a spool without the friction modifier. It has my light Wrangler hopping on tight turns ..and allows my POWERFUL 2.5 HIPER 4 banger to chirp the tires on occasion.

welcome2.gif

Just put Severe Gear 75W-140 into a 2002 F250 with a clutch type limited slip with no additional friction modifier. Smooth as silk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back