Amsoil Series 3000 5W-30 HDD - Honda Prelude?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Molecule,

It's funny, but I had no problems understanding this data - you must be getting old
wink.gif

Seriously though, just treat the data from 20k-120k as the first run and from 140k to 220k as the second run. There is a fairly large TBN drop in each case after the first 20k miles (from neutralizing pre-existing contaminents), then the TBN depletion slows down. You also have to consider the filter change intevals and the amount of fresh oil that was added after these ....

You can compare either set of data to the baseline, since it was generated under the same operating conditions. The ppm/mile wear and soot data is calculated based on the actual number of miles on the sample run to that point.

In my opinion, I don't think that if you have to change filters and refresh oil with makeup oil, that you can take those numbers as extending the drain as each situation would vary depending on the amount of makeup oil introduced each time. I can take many types of good oils, do the same filter and make up practices and they too can extend the oil drains doing this. Could even take an engine using oil, just keep adding make up oil, and it too can extend drains. No real difference between the two.

To see how an oil really holds up, try running an extended drain without changing filters and adding top off oil or boosting the additives in anyway. Now your talking about how the oil itself is holding up for an extended period of time. It is very mis leading for many to think the oil is holding up to a 25,000 mile drain interval when in fact your helping it by refreshing additives along the way.

That is one reason why my 95 Formula can probably handle extended drains better than my wife's Honda, because not only does it have a larger oil capacity, but it also uses a quart of oil every 6000 miles, while the Honda uses virtually none.

TooSlick,

The data on the chart seems to imply no discontinuity, which is false, as compared to paragraph 2 as I mentioned.

The fact is, they started over at 120,000 miles and showed trends as if there was no break in the data. What they should have shown was a split between the two 120,000 mile intervals and viscosity and tbn at each 120,000 mile beginning toward the end, which would have been more accurate. Sure, it was a test to 240,000 miles, but not a continous oil run.

What MAY have happened is that the lab had the correct data but the data was mangled by either marketing or the printer.

Like Bob said, if they really wanted to show an extended oil test, then they should have run the oil until the lab said BAADD, then report the total mileage. Any make-up oil is going to skew results because you are refreshing the oil additives.

Molecule,

If you go to the Amsoil website, click on "What's New" and then click on "Performance Tests", you can see some of the other fleet tests they have ran. The test they ran on the Series 60 Detroit Diesel shows the same oil (Series 3000) after 212,000 miles of use with a by-pass filter.

I agree some of this data could be presented better, by the way ...I was just giving you a hard time
wink.gif

I haven't done enough testing to tell if the Series 3000, 5w-30 is better than their Series 2000, 0w-30 for gas engines, but it is certainly better than the regular 5w-30/10w-30 for drain intervals > 12,000 miles.

TooSlick

TooSlick,

Amsoil 5W30 is probably one of the best all-fleet oils in its viscosity, and I know a lot of research and testing went into formulating this oil.

All I'm saying is people need good data in order to comapre apples. Cheers and have a good weekend.
cheers.gif

Molecule,

I would suggest running the Series 3000 in your Nissan ...I think you can go 50% longer than with the regular Amsoil 10w-30 and the TBN retention will be at least as good. I would not expect to see a signifcant difference in the wear rates. The Series 3000 is the only one of Amsoils' 30wt synthetics to meet the ACEA A3/B3 specifications for long drain, stay in grade performance ....

TooSlick

TooSlick,

Have you tested the differences between those two without doing a mid filter and make up oil change to the 12,000+ miles?

Call me lazy as I personally feel if I am going to change my filter on a car, might just as well drop the oil. There is no real time savings between the two and certainly 4qts of oil isn't going to make or break mine or many others budget would you think?

This is what I'm after is seeing how the oils condition is holding on a straight run, no makeup or filter change.

When it comes to diesel oil changes we are talking about a whole nother animal. Extending on one of those is a much easier job as the volume of oil used in the sump compared to a gas engine and filtration system involved. So, this is where doing extended oil drains would be a great savings.(my idea of extended drains is beyond 7500 miles in a gas engine and 15,000 miles in a diesel).

Bob,

I feel the same way ...what I do on both my current engines is run an oversized filter and change the oil/filter @ 12,000 miles/1 year. I am seeing TBN's of 8-9 at this point, so this is very conservative.

TS

TooSlick,

I have been running HDD in my Nissan and the '92 Burb the last two winters. I never had it tested since I'm still within the 60k warranty period for the Nissan. The volatility of HDD for both engines was higher than the 10W30 ATM (to be expected since it had a lower vis) and the oil turned darker quicker, which I attributed to increased blowby as compared to the 10W30 ATM.

I am currently testing Mobil 1 10W30 SS in the Nissan. My plan is to then add Schaeffer's #132 at a treat rate of 1oz./qt to determine if the combination of Mobil 1 SS with more moly will reduce wear rates. I will soon test Schaeffer's 10W30 Blend (7000 series) in the Suburban.

The goal is to determine which oil has the best price/performance ratio. If I can obtain low wear rates with decent fuel mileage with an oil that is less costly than Amsoil, then that's the way I will go. Now, if Amsoil were to lower its prices to be competitive with the rest of the market, then things might change.

Molecule,

The Series 3000 also turns darker a bit quicker in my engines - I think it something particular to the additive chemistry. However, oil analysis shows it holds up significantly better than the regular 5w-30 or 10w-30. This is not something you can see by comparing the spec sheets or even looking at additive levels using spectrographic analysis. They may be using a higher percentage of ester in the basestock, or perhaps a different type of ZDDP chemstry. I do believe they are using a more shear stable (and expensive) VI modifier. The S3000 will hardly shear at all, even in a HD diesel application.

TooSlick

Actually TooSlick, diesels are not hard on the oil when it comes to shearing in comparision to say a toyota 6cyl. The size of the sump capacity of the diesel is much greater in size thus not pumping the same oil through as fast over and over as a small engine would.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back