Amsoil selecton help??

Status
Not open for further replies.
06 Silverado 5.3 with OLM.

Driven about 7-8K per year by my wife. Gets in, no warm up, and goes. Vechicle is stock, except for a Flowmaster cat-back exhaust. 75% around town, 3-5 miles with little/no warmup. 25% minor highway driving, 10-20 miles, occasional long trips (100+). Kansas winters get to zero on occasion, and 90+ in the summers.

Will ASL or SSO make it a full year (with EAo filter) under these conditions, or should I do shorter intervals? I know the OLM is better than a fixed mileage, but I much prefer a structured maintenance schedule vs the OLM.

+1 on the SSO. I think even under severe conditions SSO is designed for 17,000 miles or 1 year OCI's according to Amsoil's site. Normal driving it 1 year or 35,000 miles. They suggest using their filter for these intervals.

I'd go with ATM 10W-30. It has excellent cold-weather performance for a 10W-30, and it is a bit more robust than the ASL for a full year (NOAK is much lower), and it is cheaper than SSO.

If you have to run the correct grade, use ASL 5W-30.

I have a 2007 5.3L Silverado....and I also have one of them "wife" things myself. JBA Shorty headers/Magnaflow cat back/Dyno tuned by Allen Nelson....
I ran Amsoil/PP and got the absolute best results with Shaeffers Series 7000 10-30... on 5000 mile OCI's. I am now (and have been for awhile) been running Chevron Supreme 10-30 and have excellent results at 5000K OCI's and exact same wear metals etc. with the conventional Chevron stuff that is $7.95 per 5 quart jug from Tractor Supply versus the synthetics.... with that said.....
I would go with a 5-30 conventional on 5K or 6 month OCI's. These 5.3 are really good motors and easy on oil after broken in.

+2 on the SSO if you want to only change 1 or 2 times a year. The other way to go is use any 5-30 dino (I use pennzoil) and change every three months so you dont get high amounts of gasoline in your oil. Maybe put a futomoto drain valve on there so it takes 2 min. to change and only change the filter every other time. Just an idea. Or do like 90% of americans do and just dont worry about it. If you dive a car that little you'll probably trade it in down the road anyway before it dies.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
I'd go with ATM 10W-30. It has excellent cold-weather performance for a 10W-30, and it is a bit more robust than the ASL for a full year (NOAK is much lower), and it is cheaper than SSO.

If you have to run the correct grade, use ASL 5W-30.

+1
thumbsup2.gif

Go with SSO and change once a year. The cost is a tad higher, but if you are only changing the oil once a year, it's not any big thing. Check the oil frequently the first interval or two, as the SSO cleans the conventional oil gumbo out, some oil will be consumed.

Amsoil SSO LINK

I just went 18 months, 21K miles on SSO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back